Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 78 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1937
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    garciajbj's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Update to FroYo?

    From what I've been reading, it seems that the reason I can't disable Sense and run stock Android on the Incredible is because a lot of the graphics and framework for Android 2.1 are missing on the device. With this in mind, does anyone know if the Incredible would even be physically able to be updated to 2.2 when it comes out? It seems kind of ridiculous to think that HTC would make such an "Incredible" device, only to have it crippled in that manner. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  2. #2  

    Default

    It will just take us longer to get because HTC will have to put sense with it. I'm sure we will be able to upgrade eventually. Probably not on release day though. At least that's how I understand it.
  3. #3  

    Default

    Shed light on what?

    If HTC is doing the upgrade, missing parts would mean nothing since whatever is needed would come with the upgrade Rom. It would make no difference if the current version is missing something.

    I don't think HTC sees the phone as crippled but rather enhanced with Sense UI.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krelvinaz View Post
    Shed light on what?

    If HTC is doing the upgrade, missing parts would mean nothing since whatever is needed would come with the upgrade Rom. It would make no difference if the current version is missing something.

    I don't think HTC sees the phone as crippled but rather enhanced with Sense UI.
    enhanced for sure! i love sense
    ~Matt
    Nexus 4 & Nook HD+ and lots of other goodies
    www.twitter.com/howarmat
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    garciajbj's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krelvinaz View Post
    Shed light on what?

    If HTC is doing the upgrade, missing parts would mean nothing since whatever is needed would come with the upgrade Rom. It would make no difference if the current version is missing something.

    I don't think HTC sees the phone as crippled but rather enhanced with Sense UI.
    Crippled would be the wrong word to describe the phone, I suppose. In fact, I almost prefer the fact that the unnecessary framework was taken out, allowing Sense to really seamlessly run in conjunction with Android. I just assumed that missing framework would mean no update capability, but since that issue has been resolved, I feel much better about the subject. Thank you for all of the replies. This helps me out a lot, as I am debating whether or not to make the switch to Verizon and purchase an Incredible.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Do it. This phone rocks.
  7. #7  

    Default

    All Sense enabled phones are usually the last to get an update because as someone said HTC has to put Sense on top of Android. Historically it takes a long time to do this but I do see the wait time dwindlind down seeing how Android is bigger than ever and has a bigger consumer base. But don't be upset if your waiting a year to get 2.2. They made get you by with a minor update let's say a 2.1.1, but not 2.2. Hero owners have been waiting for a year and half for an update. They've been stuck on 1.5 since the beginning. 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1 have been released since then. So pretty much, all I can say is be prepared to wait.
  8. #8  
    VKitty's Avatar

    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreyDaPrince View Post
    Hero owners have been waiting for a year and half for an update. They've been stuck on 1.5 since the beginning. 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1 have been released since then. So pretty much, all I can say is be prepared to wait.

    At this point, is the Hero even going to get an update?
  9. #9  
    Qazme's Avatar

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

    Default

    Well the update will only take awhile if they actually change whatever they plug into between 2.1 and 2.2, then Verizon ok'ing it and them pushing it out.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VKitty View Post
    At this point, is the Hero even going to get an update?
    I think there has been, in general, a lot of issues getting 1.5/6 up to 2.0/1. In the US, the Moto Droid is the only phone without 2.1 (i.e. N1, Incredible, EVO all came with 2.1 stock) to have been updated to 2.1 yet (but the Droid Eris is getting it now). So yes, Sense does take a bit more work to update than stock Android, but personally I would say the trade off is worth it. However it would be really nice of HTC to let people quickly and easily switch back and forth between Sense and Stock (perhaps with a restart?) =]
  11. #11  
    forumsid987's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TreyDaPrince View Post
    All Sense enabled phones are usually the last to get an update because as someone said HTC has to put Sense on top of Android. Historically it takes a long time to do this but I do see the wait time dwindlind down seeing how Android is bigger than ever and has a bigger consumer base. But don't be upset if your waiting a year to get 2.2. They made get you by with a minor update let's say a 2.1.1, but not 2.2. Hero owners have been waiting for a year and half for an update. They've been stuck on 1.5 since the beginning. 1.6, 2.0, and 2.1 have been released since then. So pretty much, all I can say is be prepared to wait.
    HTC never released a 2.0 device and had it upgraded to 2.1. That would be the only way to gauge how long it takes to get an upgrade to Froyo.
  12. #12  
    Roy Aguilera
    Roy Aguilera's Avatar
    Guest

    Default

    The eris has not waited a year. We should get some more info after the 2.2 unveiling.
  13. #13  
    newdroidnewb's Avatar

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    ROM
    Axiom/Franko's

    Default

    Based on nothing but my opinion I don't think it will take that much longer to get 2.2 on sense. It was only a couple months after the Droid got 2.1 that the Eris got 2.1 and that was going from 1.5 to 2.1. As already stated there hasn't been a sense phone to go from 2.0 to 2.1 to compare equally but still the Eris wasn't that far behind the Droid.

    Also with the Evo and Inc. both running sense I would think HTC will be on top of 2.2 once it gets released.

    So yeah, we'll probably have to wait a little while longer, but I wouldn't count on it being a long time.
    Blackberry Tour 9630, Blackberry Bold 9650 - Crackberry.com username: newberrynewb
    HTC Droid Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE - Androidcentral.com username: newdroidnewb
  14. #14  

    Default

    @newdroidnewb

    Great point. The EVO and the Inc basically have the same internal hardware and software. Both are on the same 1Ghz Snapdraggon, both have same resolution screen, both on 2.1 now, both are CDMA (with EVO adding in WiMax). I would bet both phones are updated by HTC fairly quickly as they are the flagship Android phones in the US for the foreseeable future.

    I want my 450% speed boost and full flash!
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  15. #15  
    Qazme's Avatar

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyleg View Post
    @newdroidnewb
    I want my 450% speed boost and full flash!
    I'll believe that when I see it. And as far as full flash goes, I'm not too sure if I want it now.....I haven't had any issues on flash sites with the setup I got now and have actually grown to prefer it.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  16. #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    I'll believe that when I see it. And as far as full flash goes, I'm not too sure if I want it now.....I haven't had any issues on flash sites with the setup I got now and have actually grown to prefer it.
    I think the most important thing about getting full Flash on Android and the Inc specifically would be the possibility of a native Hulu app for Android. And if Hulu never gets around to it, I am sure there will be tons of apps/hacks/workarounds once Flash gets up and running.

    Especially on that glorious 4.3 inch screen on the Evo, I think alot of people would love streaming some Hulu goodness straight to their phone. It also helps make up for the lack of an iTunes-like store for video.
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  17. #17  
    Qazme's Avatar

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyleg View Post
    I think the most important thing about getting full Flash on Android and the Inc specifically would be the possibility of a native Hulu app for Android. And if Hulu never gets around to it, I am sure there will be tons of apps/hacks/workarounds once Flash gets up and running.

    Especially on that glorious 4.3 inch screen on the Evo, I think alot of people would love streaming some Hulu goodness straight to their phone. It also helps make up for the lack of an iTunes-like store for video.
    You do realize hulu blocks mobile devices right? Flash has nothing to do with it. The only way we would get a working hulu app would be if hulu approved it, if they did then we could watch now.

    Hulu may be blocking mobile browsers. // Current

    For instance they are blocking skyfire now from transcoding the site, which puts no more strain on their site than someone watching the video. So don't get hyped up about options you may not have.

    As far as hulu goes personally, I quit using that site about a year ago, but I have a media center pc with orb, I would rather have a slingbox setup. Record what I want to watch and access it across the internet. Not as easy as hulu because you actually have to set stuff up, but I like having the option to fast foward through commercials myself, and have access to all my files.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    You do realize hulu blocks mobile devices right? Flash has nothing to do with it. The only way we would get a working hulu app would be if hulu approved it, if they did then we could watch now.
    This is true, but having flash on Android would remove the technical barrier from using Hulu on Android as they use Flash for their videos. What I am saying is that having full native Flash would allow Hulu to make a native app, should they desire. Right now, they would have to recode their stuff in h.264 or something.

    Plus, maybe I want to watch some homestarrunner.com in my spare time
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  19. #19  
    tony bag o donuts's Avatar
    Resident Ringtone Maker

    Posts
    3,921 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,031 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    enhanced for sure! i love sense
    I didn't like stock android on the droid until I played with sense.
    Definitely worth it IMHO.
  20. #20  
    Qazme's Avatar

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyleg View Post
    This is true, but having flash on Android would remove the technical barrier from using Hulu on Android as they use Flash for their videos. What I am saying is that having full native Flash would allow Hulu to make a native app, should they desire. Right now, they would have to recode their stuff in h.264 or something.

    Plus, maybe I want to watch some homestarrunner.com in my spare time
    Most flash video's are h.264 with flash wrappers anyways. Like youtube

    I think it would be awesome to access these things, it all boils down to how well it actually runs on the phone. I'm figuring at least as twice as well as flashlite, and praying for totally smooth but who knows.

    I want flash that doesn't crash my phone too, so maybe they have done some really extensive testing on it as well. Guess we will see at I/O this week.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  21. #21  

    Default

    As long as there is the option to turn flash on or off, I don't see why someone wouldn't want flash at least as an option to use when you want to.
  22. #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qazme View Post
    Most flash video's are h.264 with flash wrappers anyways. Like youtube

    I think it would be awesome to access these things, it all boils down to how well it actually runs on the phone. I'm figuring at least as twice as well as flashlite, and praying for totally smooth but who knows.

    I want flash that doesn't crash my phone too, so maybe they have done some really extensive testing on it as well. Guess we will see at I/O this week.
    I think both Google and Adobe are working as hard as they can to get Flash running great on Froyo. Why?
    Google: Clear advantage for Android over iPhone OS, showcase power and openness/flexibility of Android vs. iPhone OS
    Adobe: The above puts pressure on Apple to allow Flash compatibility, provides great PR if Flash run fast and securely on Android while Apple says both are impossible.

    Google is throwing some dev party thingy this week as I recall and I think they are gonna show of Flash and everyone is gonna be amazed. Fingers crossed
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
  23. #23  
    Qazme's Avatar

    Posts
    2,819 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

    Default

    Man I hope everyone will be amazed. Google is all about open standards, but remember they are also pushing for HTML5 standardization which I personally hope happens soon, adobe isn't too wild about it though I would imagine. If we had HTML5 now then flash wouldn't even matter anymore. Which that is exactly what Apple is hoping for, but as of right now I want flash until HTML5 becomes wide spread. You can as of now opt into the youtube HTML5 beta but you have to use chrome or Firefox with the chrome frame plug, I started using chrome for it, and I'm very impressed with the limited to no buffering time and any time fast forward before the full video is downloaded. It's going to be a good year for smart phones
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  24. #24  
    RBasil's Avatar

    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyleg View Post
    Google is throwing some dev party thingy this week as I recall and I think they are gonna show of Flash and everyone is gonna be amazed. Fingers crossed
    Google I/O 2010
  25. #25  
    zcoleman's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

    Default 2.2 Froyo waiting room?

    Do we have a 2.2 Froyo waiting room in this forum yet? What do you think the turn around time will be for HTC to produce 2.2 with HTC Sense?
Page 1 of 78 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions