Does VZ Navigator in 2.2 mean no more free Google navigation?

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Back in 2008/early 2009 all the Tech Blogs and tech/phone forums universally berated VZW over what they believed to be VZW's practice of 'hobbling' features on handsets on their network in order to sell their own paid VZW features.

Historical accusations included using their influence over phone manufactures to prevent wifi chips from being added to phones (forcing the need for a data plan) to locking down the GPS chip on phones so it only worked with VZ Nav and not (at the time) BB Maps.

It was widely believed that when VZW starting requiring data plans on all their smartphones, this (unproven) practice of phone hobbling went away.

So, the chances of them pulling that BS again, now, with Google of all partners, is highly HIGHLY unlikely. The poopstorm that would kick up would be epic.

howser87

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have it, but I can tell you it won't happen. Nav is part of Google Maps.

So I thought with google maps on WebOS seeing my friend's Pre on Sprint. Moving to a Pre Plus on VZW I was shocked to see that the big V had locked out GPS use without their app running and there was no google nav.

Darkblue31

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
So I thought with google maps on WebOS seeing my friend's Pre on Sprint. Moving to a Pre Plus on VZW I was shocked to see that the big V had locked out GPS use without their app running and there was no google nav.

Key part of that is WebOS, on android that would be something else

MistyB

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Both will be available. VZ Navigator on Incredible FROYO update now means we have a choice to use the google version or VZ Navigator. I've personally felt crippled without VZ Navigator since I activated my Incredible. VZ Nav is so much easier to use and is multiple apps in one, plus it gives spoken traffic alerts so I don't have to look at my phone and can keep my eyes on the road! I think it's well worth the $10 a month, the safety of my little guy in the backseat is worth paying for.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Google navigation is very simple to use (press the icon, select speak destination, speak, hit go, then just listen to the directions) and IMHO is 100 times better then VZ navigator and its FREE.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have used both vzw navigator and google navigator and like google better as well.

Sent using Tapatalk

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
google nav gives voice turn by turn directions. also, google nav works with voice commands, also google nav is free, also google nav doesn't suxx0rz like vz nav. consolidation of many apps into one doesn't make it better.

Dave Campbell3

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
A coworker just received a recertified RAZR as a warranty replacement and Google Nav was gone. He says that when he called Verizon about it he was told that it's now paid VZ Nav or nothing. Very bad news.