Do I Need to return to stock from July leaked update to install Official Update?

jonezilla

May 8, 2010
Visit site
If I manually installed the Leaked Update OTA back in July, do I need to go back to stock before I install the Official 2.2 Froyo update. I am not rooted.

JayBTV

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I was running the 8/1 leaked Froyo, rooted, with Radio version 2.05. Today I followed this tutorial:

YouTube - Droid Incredible Official Froyo OTA

I was able to upgrade from the leaked Froyo and 2.05 radio to the the OTA Froyo and 2.15 radio(that's included) using the file he has in the video description. I did have to wipe all data.....

I've used this guys videos before....that's actually how I rooted and installed the leaked Froyo.

I'd definitely ask around but if you have the same setup as I did then you should be OK. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if you have the 2.15 radio already.

jonezilla

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I am only running 2.05 radio. I am inclined to agree with you but I have to have more confirmation before I'll be confident about installing the official update.

Can anyone else confirm?

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the ota changed your bootloader. Changing the bootloader makes others appear older, meaning you'll have to downgrade for the update to stick. At least I thought it was mentioned in the infamous 10min clips from YouTube. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that the ota changed your bootloader. Changing the bootloader makes others appear older, meaning you'll have to downgrade for the update to stick. At least I thought it was mentioned in the infamous 10min clips from YouTube. ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

The OTA did not update the bootloader. Nothing for the Incredible has changed the bootloader for me including updates. Still at .79 and you will be too. IF they didn't disable updates in the leaked OTA, which a lot of ROM authors etc do, then yes you should receive it. With that being said if you have the 2.15 radio etc you may not get it. 2.05 you should still receive it because it does version checking and will see it's older than the update. All that aside your safest bet is to downgrade back to the official stuff and wait, or wait on someone to post up the update.zip file which will be popping up today or tomorrow.

jonezilla

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The OTA did not update the bootloader. Nothing for the Incredible has changed the bootloader for me including updates. Still at .79 and you will be too. IF they didn't disable updates in the leaked OTA, which a lot of ROM authors etc do, then yes you should receive it. With that being said if you have the 2.15 radio etc you may not get it. 2.05 you should still receive it because it does version checking and will see it's older than the update. All that aside your safest bet is to downgrade back to the official stuff and wait, or wait on someone to post up the update.zip file which will be popping up today or tomorrow.

Qazme, thanks for the suggestion. So even though my hboot is .77 and my radio is 2.05 I need to downgrade. Can I/how do I downgrade without being rooted? There used to be a sticky post with instructions on how to go back to previous version of hboot some where. Is that what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
This video is where I go my information, where he mentions that the bootloader is changed at the beginning of the clip.

My bootloader was indeed changed, I forget the version it showed since I've changed it afew times.

YouTube - Downgrade leaked OTA

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Qazme, thanks for the suggestion. So even though my hboot is .77 and my radio is 2.05 I need to downgrade. Can I/how do I downgrade without being rooted? There used to be a sticky post with instructions on how to go back to previous version of hboot some where. Is that what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

The update will still be received with either the .77 or the .79 bootloader. Mine came with the .79 bootloader and I got my phone on 4/30/2010, so you should be ok.

If you want to be safe about it, I would suggest downloading the PB31IMG.zip and placing it on your sdcard and booting your phone into hboot. It will see it verify if and ask if you want to flash it. Volume up for yes, let it do it's thing and you are back factory fresh. (This won't change the radio without s-off, which requires you to root your phone) So you will have 2.1 with the 2.05 radio. Which still shouldn't matter the OTA radio is 2.15 so it will update it when you receive it.

I think you will probably still receive the update with how you are setup. But if you want to be safe jump on it!

This video is where I go my information, where he mentions that the bootloader is changed at the beginning of the clip.

My bootloader was indeed changed, I forget the version it showed since I've changed it afew times.

YouTube - Downgrade leaked OTA

I dunno, mine has never changed. And there are only two bootloaders that are floating around .77 and .79 and both are officals. So it doesn't really matter. (Or maybe mine did change from .77 to .79 when I originally did something, either way you should be good ;))

jonezilla

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The update will still be received with either the .77 or the .79 bootloader. Mine came with the .79 bootloader and I got my phone on 4/30/2010, so you should be ok.

If you want to be safe about it, I would suggest downloading the PB31IMG.zip and placing it on your sdcard and booting your phone into hboot. It will see it verify if and ask if you want to flash it. Volume up for yes, let it do it's thing and you are back factory fresh. (This won't change the radio without s-off, which requires you to root your phone) So you will have 2.1 with the 2.05 radio. Which still shouldn't matter the OTA radio is 2.15 so it will update it when you receive it.

I think you will probably still receive the update with how you are setup. But if you want to be safe jump on it!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not so much worried that I won't get the update as I am bricking my phone while installing the update. But, I think you're right, since my radio is 2.05 and the official is 2.15, there shouldn't be any problem. You have mentioned having .79 hboot and receiving and installing the official OTA without consequence, so? I may just roll the dice and wait for the update. The only real reason I would want to root, would be to remove bloatware, so, we'll see.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang