Froyo OTA: First Impressions

jayman1972

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Finally received the 2.2 update... WOW! What a piece of crap. Only thing worth anything is the flash light app. My incredible is nothing of the sort. It's slowed down considerably . Very disappointed.

ted1735

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My findings

Ranked in order of annoyance:

1. Takes longer to charge I would say almost double:(
2. Battery life is worse with use, standby seems to be the same. WiFi radio definitely uses way more than it used to. I used to leave it on and always leave it off unless needed.
3. Scrolling on flash sites very slow.
4. We already had flash "lite", flash 10.1 does not seem to be any better at all.
5. Crammed more bloat ware onto the device.

Pros: (no order)

Device is faster just a tad, but not enough to justify the loss of battery
Flash light app is good
HD recording seems about the same as my other 720 so its just nice to have it
App to SD is not really a benefit with Incredible because we have so much app RAM on the device anyway
Auto update from Market
Chrome to phone is great!
Wireless N is good but really no benefit due to battery use
New voice search/integration

That's my 2 cents

queball744

May 17, 2010
Visit site
all these people having all these problems with 2.2 i got this yesterday morning i have been play with it all day no slow down of any kind if any its faster at web browsing and touch screen wallpaper i like it. if it slowed down dont run so many apps in the background

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
some people complained of slow web browsing but it did not affect me but I still did set the plugin's in the browser setting to "on demand"(instead of "always on") and I did update from the beta ver.of flash 10.1 that was on froyo,, to the official ver. of flash which is flash 10.1(ver. 10.1.92.8) :)

ted1735

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just found "News" and "news and weather"

News was auto updating every 4 hrs and the news and weather app was updating every 3 hrs... possible part of our BATTERY ISSUES

chetman7

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
my battery life is the same as 2.1
so far the things i like are:
flashlight app
auto update on market

other than that, not much of a differernce
I noticed the 720p recording but prob will never use it
attachment icon in text message native app
camera settings can be changed with the phone in a vertical orientation. You used to have to turn the phone into landscape to be able to read the settings

I'm just happy that my browser isn't lagging

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded froyo through Android Central's suggestion. I figured out how to install it (don't name it "update.zip" because it's already a zip file. just name it "update.") and it's working just fine for me.

The fonts are a wee bit different. The battery takes longer to charge, but it lasts 33 to 50% longer on a charge, depending on usage. The touchscreen is more responsive while charging than it was previously. The phone is a bit quicker, though not by much. There's more crapware that came with it, much of which starts automatically; crapware like Skype Mobile, VZ Navigator, Amazon MP3, and other useless junk. Other apps like Stocks and News run even though I haven't started them. Other apps I installed but don't use frequently (like WeatherBug) start on their own. The unlock arc changes text, telling me to slide it down even as I'm doing it (which it didn't do before). The Wi-Fi widget actually connects without having to dig into settings like before. I don't like the way the software version reads -- the kernel version looks like I hacked the phone even though I was using a supposedly "stock" file to run the upgrade.

Overall, though, Froyo has given me the confidence to use the phone more without fear of running out of juice.

I just hope there's a way to get the kernel version to read differently so I don't look like such an "outlaw."

aolson10

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone having any trouble with a recurring force close message after froyo manual update? Error message reads 'the process com.htc.bgp has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.'
Thanks

davnel78

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
cannot edit calendar?

just noticed an issue since the 2.2 upgrade.

Has anyone else found that they cannot edit calendar entries once entered into calendar? Originally I thought it was just existing entries, but now I find entries that I put in my phone's calendar last night/this morning (way after the upgrade), I cannot edit from the phone; I have to go into google calendar to edit. Annoying to say the least! Anyone else notice this, or know of a way around it?

Isaacr

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
VZ Navigator--which costs $10 per month--is now the default navigation program.

And I can't figure out how to clear that default. Ideas?

Isaacr

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone else found that they cannot edit calendar entries once entered into calendar? Originally I thought it was just existing entries, but now I find entries that I put in my phone's calendar last night/this morning (way after the upgrade), I cannot edit from the phone; I have to go into google calendar to edit. Annoying to say the least! Anyone else notice this, or know of a way around it?

To edit calendar entries: long press on the entry in the agenda view. That's the only way I've figured out so far.

ScootMagroot

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I like the Flashlight.....thats about it. Im sick of not being able to kill apps, and random apps starting automatically.

100% battery when I updated at 7:30am...its not 10:10am, and Im down to 46%....Ive sent one text, checked facebook and another website. I wont even make it to lunch on this charge. Im hating this update now.

Update: 11:15am .....20% battery life left.

Last edited:

galactor

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I haven't experience that problem at all. Just about 30min I edited an existing calendar entry and was able to see it in both my phone and google calendar. I don't have to do any long press or anything differently than the regular method in 2.1.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I was able to change the reminder settings on one of my pre-existing events, too. Sounds like an issue that is specific to your phone, davnel. Sorry. :(

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
VZ Navigator--which costs $10 per month--is now the default navigation program.

And I can't figure out how to clear that default. Ideas?

I went to Car Panel > Navigation & was directed straight into Google Navigation, not VZ Navigator.

How are you accessing navigation so that it forces you to use VZ Nav?

ScootMagroot

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
This is ridiculous....Im losing batter at basically 25% an hour, and now its been on a charger plugged into the wall for almost an hour and Ive only gained 10% back. At this rate its gonna take like 10 hours to Charge fully and 4 hours to be dead. Is there any safe way to go back to 2.1?

ABad Santa

May 13, 2010
Visit site
So far the only thing i'm really happy with so far is that it comes the nexus live wallpaper and that typing feels a bit more responsive.

Other than that, clicking on app icons is laggy, which makes me believe there are other performance issues that weren't as prominent in 2.1.

Reading through everyone's posts makes me feel like i'm not alone, at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair