Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Would free & SOLID push email increase your Hotmail usage?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it matters to me.

17 70.83%
  • No, push & real-time sync doesn't matter to me.

7 29.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm starting to get somewhere. It will NOT work with the stock HTC mail app that is installed with the Froyo 2.2 update. However, I'm starting to get it to work with the stock Android Mail app. Google for "stock android email.apk" and you should find it. Then install it with Astro file manager or any other means you use to install apps that aren't in the market. Make sure you go to "menu-->settings-->applications" and check the box to allow installation of non-Market Applications.

Once installed, launch the app (it's called "email" in the app launcher).
    1)Enter your e-mail address and password.
    2)Hit "manual setup"
    3)Select "Exchange" on the next screen
    4)On the next screen:
    Domain\Username:youraddress@hotmail.com
    Password: yourpassword (should already be populated from earlier screen)
    Server: m.hotmail.com
    Check both the check boxes at the bottom

5)On the next screen, set your preferences
    6)Next Screen, Give your account a name if you want to.

The first time I did this, it did not populate my inbox. I removed the account and tried again and it worked. The only disadvantages are there's no widget for the mail program, there is no indicator on the icon like gmail and there's no HTML e-mail, only text. You can still get notifications in the notification bar, notification sounds and vibration when you get an e-mail though.

Hope this helps you guys out.
    Last edited by nickbike; 09-10-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    Droid Incredible

Great thread! I wanted to make sure I downloaded a 2.2 version of Email.apk. While Googling "stock android mail.apk", I came across a modified version at Android Email.apk Without Exchange Security | xda-developers and [APP] **Updated 9/22/2010** Android Email.apk latest src code w/o Exchange security - xda-developers. This modified 2.2 version apparently removes some annoying Exchange Server-related security reminders; probably irrelevant for use with Hotmail. Although I *could* use this app for both my Exchange Server and Hotmail, I'm planning to continue to use the HTC Mail app for my Exchange Server. (Fortunately, this Email.apk doesn't seem to have any impact upon the HTC Mail app.) So all I'm gaining by downloading and installing Email.apk is Hotmail ActiveSync support--which is important to me.

FWIW, I kept getting errors during setup until I entered a "\" at the beginning of my email address, as mentioned at the bottom of http://www.winsupersite.com/live/hotmail_eas.asp.

The only thing I'm wishing was present is HTML messages. What's preventing that from happening?

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default Re: TOMORROW: free hotmail push/sync - ACTUAL setup info?

This appears to be working with the stock HTC mail app after the 2.3.4 update. I was having trouble getting my hotmail account set up as a windows live hotmail account so I tried setting up as an exchange account and it worked with no problems so far. I used the same settings nickbike described above but left the domain blank.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12