Why is the update taking so long to roll out?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
its vzw they want to piss you off :p ,, maybe today or tomorrow or wednesday , or maybe someone will post the update.zip ? suppose to be this week anyhoo

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Verizon deliberately pushes the update out to a certain # of phones per day. Easier on them and easier for them to fix things on the fly if something goes awry on their end.

If they pushed the OTA out simultaneously to everybody and there was a previously undetected issue with the build that bricked everyone's phones, they'd be screwed. This gives them the ability to monitor results as they push.

Also, while I'm not an expert, I think that from a bandwidth point of view that would have to be taxing for them.

tl;dr: it's for your safety and CYA on their part

dirtbiker0025

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
This was submitted by patches152 who is pretty reliable, i dunno if this has changed or not but,

"10k users will get Froyo Friday, then 100k on Monday, and another 200k every day after that until 9/3"

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
This was submitted by patches152 who is pretty reliable, i dunno if this has changed or not but,

"10k users will get Froyo Friday, then 100k on Monday, and another 200k every day after that until 9/3"

He's reliable. From what I can tell he's got many friends 'in the know' over at VZW. He was equally spot on over in CB regarding BB updates/phone launches, and the fact that (as far as I can tell) he has more than one friend in the know, he can corroborate the things he hears.

More importantly he's a ninja...so there's that.

That aside, the above schedule: employees first then 10K, 100K, 200K, 200K, etc. makes absolute perfect sense and is exactly how I would go about it.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Verizon deliberately pushes the update out to a certain # of phones per day. Easier on them and easier for them to fix things on the fly if something goes awry on their end.

If they pushed the OTA out simultaneously to everybody and there was a previously undetected issue with the build that bricked everyone's phones, they'd be screwed. This gives them the ability to monitor results as they push.

Also, while I'm not an expert, I think that from a bandwidth point of view that would have to be taxing for them.

tl;dr: it's for your safety and CYA on their part

100% accurate.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
"More importantly he's a ninja...so there's that."

I KNEW being a ninja had something to do with it!

Well I saw him in vegas....trying to be all coy:

PatchesOHoulihan.jpg

Todd M

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
There have been some rumors flying about that the Froyo update has some bugs and has been causing issues on those phones that got them, possibly causing a pull back of the OTA by Verizon. At this point, they appear to be rumors. Has anyone else 'in the know' heard about this from over the weekend?

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
There have been some rumors flying about that the Froyo update has some bugs and has been causing issues on those phones that got them, possibly causing a pull back of the OTA by Verizon. At this point, they appear to be rumors. Has anyone else 'in the know' heard about this from over the weekend?

I had not, but if true that would be a debacle of the highest proportions. Pulling back suggests they don't know what the problem is. Sending an OTA patch suggests they do...

Todd M

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had not, but if true that would be a debacle of the highest proportions. Pulling back suggests they don't know what the problem is. Sending an OTA patch suggests they do...

Thx. I am hoping it's just the rumor mill working OT on this one. There were conflicting reports about the flow of the OTA. Patches (believe) stated 10,000 on Friday, nothing over the weekend, then 100K, 200K, etc. The @VZWSupport twitter (don't believe) stated it was being pushed over the weekend. I think that's what might have led to some rumors surfacing that if no one was getting it over the weekend that VZW might have stopped it.

I am sure we will see more getting it today, although it might not be until this evening.

drclayton

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
So i have a dumb question.....
is the daily rollouts all done in the morning or just randomly sent throughout the day? In other words, if i dont get the update when i wake up, should i not even bother worrying about it the rest of the day?

msm_portata

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
drlayton - I have wondered that too. Is anyone getting notifications in the middle of the day? For that matter, what is the form of the notification? a pop-up? an icon on the top bar?

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Personally,

and it is only rumor.....

But, if I understand correctly....

Verizon is sending a rep out to each one of us individually to install the 2.2 upgrade...

so it could be a while...

Lego!

finanandroid

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
He's reliable. From what I can tell he's got many friends 'in the know' over at VZW. He was equally spot on over in CB regarding BB updates/phone launches, and the fact that (as far as I can tell) he has more than one friend in the know, he can corroborate the things he hears.

More importantly he's a ninja...so there's that.

That aside, the above schedule: employees first then 10K, 100K, 200K, 200K, etc. makes absolute perfect sense and is exactly how I would go about it.
The update is being rolled out the 2 weeks to a month was as to how long it can take to complete. *AN /VZW Support on Twitter

silentbobdrummer

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Personally,

and it is only rumor.....

But, if I understand correctly....

Verizon is sending a rep out to each one of us individually to install the 2.2 upgrade...

so it could be a while...

Lego!

That would be true if Bright House ran Verizon. it was a pain waiting for them so I can get HD Channels on my TiVo...

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Verizon loves taking forever. Remember, we only need one person to link the update.zip URL and all of us hardcore fans are in business. The Froyo business, that is ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams