1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is the update taking so long to roll out?

It's monday and stll no update whats going on here??? I want the OTA not the update.zip
    Last edited by jessesmith8888; 08-30-2010 at 06:54 AM.

Global Posts
    6,684 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

its vzw they want to **** you off ,, maybe today or tomorrow or wednesday , or maybe someone will post the update.zip ? suppose to be this week anyhoo

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

Verizon deliberately pushes the update out to a certain # of phones per day. Easier on them and easier for them to fix things on the fly if something goes awry on their end.

If they pushed the OTA out simultaneously to everybody and there was a previously undetected issue with the build that bricked everyone's phones, they'd be screwed. This gives them the ability to monitor results as they push.

Also, while I'm not an expert, I think that from a bandwidth point of view that would have to be taxing for them.

tl;dr: it's for your safety and CYA on their part
    Rooted & ROM'd 32GB White Mist Verizon Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jessesmith8888 View Post
    It's monday and stll no update whats going on here??? I want the OTA not the update.zip
    Don't forget that it's also personal. They are deliberately not sending it to any forum posters who might capture the update.zip and thus remove the power and the glory of the OTA!
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

This was submitted by patches152 who is pretty reliable, i dunno if this has changed or not but,

"10k users will get Froyo Friday, then 100k on Monday, and another 200k every day after that until 9/3"

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by gnargnarshreder View Post
    This was submitted by patches152 who is pretty reliable, i dunno if this has changed or not but,

"10k users will get Froyo Friday, then 100k on Monday, and another 200k every day after that until 9/3"
    He's reliable. From what I can tell he's got many friends 'in the know' over at VZW. He was equally spot on over in CB regarding BB updates/phone launches, and the fact that (as far as I can tell) he has more than one friend in the know, he can corroborate the things he hears.

More importantly he's a ninja...so there's that.

That aside, the above schedule: employees first then 10K, 100K, 200K, 200K, etc. makes absolute perfect sense and is exactly how I would go about it.

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.1

"More importantly he's a ninja...so there's that."

I KNEW being a ninja had something to do with it!
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,011 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by mikestorm View Post
    Verizon deliberately pushes the update out to a certain # of phones per day. Easier on them and easier for them to fix things on the fly if something goes awry on their end.

If they pushed the OTA out simultaneously to everybody and there was a previously undetected issue with the build that bricked everyone's phones, they'd be screwed. This gives them the ability to monitor results as they push.

Also, while I'm not an expert, I think that from a bandwidth point of view that would have to be taxing for them.

tl;dr: it's for your safety and CYA on their part
    100% accurate.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,011 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by rohdawg11 View Post
    "More importantly he's a ninja...so there's that."

I KNEW being a ninja had something to do with it!
    Well I saw him in vegas....trying to be all coy:

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

There have been some rumors flying about that the Froyo update has some bugs and has been causing issues on those phones that got them, possibly causing a pull back of the OTA by Verizon. At this point, they appear to be rumors. Has anyone else 'in the know' heard about this from over the weekend?

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Todd M View Post
    There have been some rumors flying about that the Froyo update has some bugs and has been causing issues on those phones that got them, possibly causing a pull back of the OTA by Verizon. At this point, they appear to be rumors. Has anyone else 'in the know' heard about this from over the weekend?
    I had not, but if true that would be a debacle of the highest proportions. Pulling back suggests they don't know what the problem is. Sending an OTA patch suggests they do...

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

I had not, but if true that would be a debacle of the highest proportions. Pulling back suggests they don't know what the problem is. Sending an OTA patch suggests they do...
    Thx. I am hoping it's just the rumor mill working OT on this one. There were conflicting reports about the flow of the OTA. Patches (believe) stated 10,000 on Friday, nothing over the weekend, then 100K, 200K, etc. The @VZWSupport twitter (don't believe) stated it was being pushed over the weekend. I think that's what might have led to some rumors surfacing that if no one was getting it over the weekend that VZW might have stopped it.

I am sure we will see more getting it today, although it might not be until this evening.

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

So i have a dumb question.....
    is the daily rollouts all done in the morning or just randomly sent throughout the day? In other words, if i dont get the update when i wake up, should i not even bother worrying about it the rest of the day?

drlayton - I have wondered that too. Is anyone getting notifications in the middle of the day? For that matter, what is the form of the notification? a pop-up? an icon on the top bar?
    Now: Droid Incredible
    Was: Palm Treo and iPod Touch
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    Well I saw him in vegas....trying to be all coy:
    LMAO, that was good

Personally,

and it is only rumor.....

But, if I understand correctly....

Verizon is sending a rep out to each one of us individually to install the 2.2 upgrade...

so it could be a while...

Lego!
    HTC ONE (M8)!

ChromeCast
    Nexus 7 (2012)

BB 6510>7510>8830>8330 Curve>9530 Storm> HTC Droid Incredible > HTC REZOUND!> HTC One (M8)

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

There is no update we've been duped imho

He's reliable. From what I can tell he's got many friends 'in the know' over at VZW. He was equally spot on over in CB regarding BB updates/phone launches, and the fact that (as far as I can tell) he has more than one friend in the know, he can corroborate the things he hears.

More importantly he's a ninja...so there's that.

That aside, the above schedule: employees first then 10K, 100K, 200K, 200K, etc. makes absolute perfect sense and is exactly how I would go about it.
    The update is being rolled out the 2 weeks to a month was as to how long it can take to complete. *AN /VZW Support on Twitter

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Legobricke View Post
    Personally,

and it is only rumor.....

But, if I understand correctly....

Verizon is sending a rep out to each one of us individually to install the 2.2 upgrade...

so it could be a while...

Lego!
    That would be true if Bright House ran Verizon. it was a pain waiting for them so I can get HD Channels on my TiVo...
    Droid Incredible since June 2010

Verizon loves taking forever. Remember, we only need one person to link the update.zip URL and all of us hardcore fans are in business. The Froyo business, that is
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)
    Where's the juice again?

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gnargnarshreder View Post
    I'm sorry, what? What if I was out the country until 9/4 I can no longer receive the update because I missed the window?

Also does any one know if you wipe your phone (settings > Privacy > Factory data reset) will it go back to 2.1? Or does Android 2.2 actually flash the bios so to speak? Similar to updating the bios on your mother board.
    Feel free to private message me at any time! I enjoy getting private messages.

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

Woke up about 45 min ago and was prompted to install the update, it appears the push is still going.