2.2 OTA vs 2.2 Leaked

scottfromga

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
is anyone noticing that they are getting a lot of force closures with the new 2.2 OTA? a week before getting my update, I rooted and flashed the 2.2 leak and noticed it was buggy as hell, lot of FC's and stuff just wasn't working correctly. I unrooted and went back to stock 2.1 before the update was announced. I recieved mine Saturday morning and to my surprise, the 2.2 OTA is not as bad but still FC'ing pretty heavily.

Something else I noticed is my battery isn't charging as quickly anymore....I dunno if this is by design or am I doing something wrong. Last night, went to bed with 14% left (according to the Battery Droid app) and charged it through the night like I normally do. When I got up, it had 83%. Usually, it's 100%. Anyone notice this or am I missing the boat here.

Sorry if this has all been posted already...there's just so many 2.2 posts that I've been through and haven't seen much about this.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
What, specifically, is force closing? It's likely you have something running that isn't yet compatible with froyo (not everything is). Popular offenders are task managers/killer.

Also, you're battery issue is because the phone is charging until full and then operating off the battery. You need to top off the charge (so-called "bump charging"). But 83% from just being in standby is an awful lot. Sounds like something is chewing up the battery when the phone should be asleep. What does your up/awake ratio look like (Menu > Settings > About Phone > Battery)?

scottfromga

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
at night time, i normally have my Iheartradio app playing, so I can see that being a reason to the battery being down but before the update I did the same and it would still charge full. This is also over a 7 hour period as well.

right now, it's Cell Standby 45%, Phone Idle 44%, Android System 8% and Display is 3%. I use that Big Killer app cause I found that Advanced Task Killer isn't good for crap anymore....could this BK app be the problem? I just installed it last night before charging.

I need to try that bump charging again..I haven't done that in a while either. Although, after today's use which has been light to moderate, it's only down to 90%.

anything look alarming or something I need to be aware of?

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
at night time, i normally have my Iheartradio app playing, so I can see that being a reason to the battery being down but before the update I did the same and it would still charge full. This is also over a 7 hour period as well.

right now, it's Cell Standby 45%, Phone Idle 44%, Android System 8% and Display is 3%. I use that Big Killer app cause I found that Advanced Task Killer isn't good for crap anymore....could this BK app be the problem? I just installed it last night before charging.

I need to try that bump charging again..I haven't done that in a while either. Although, after today's use which has been light to moderate, it's only down to 90%.

anything look alarming or something I need to be aware of?

Okay -- but what are the awake/up numbers?

Also, do you have SpareParts installed? If not, get it from the market. Go to Battery History, select "Partial Wake usage" from the top menu, and "total since boot" in the bottom menu. What are the top values?

Also note: bump charge just means that when you wake up you have to unplug the phone then plug it back in. Some people turn the phone off for that, but you don't have to.

scottfromga

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
up time

14:52:XX

Awake Time

12:03:XX

installed Spare Parts and did what you said, the top values are Android System and total time: 9m 11s. Below it is Hi FBook at 3m 17s then TiKL at 1m 16s. below that is one that says UID 10005, Media, iheartradio, facebook and dialer at low numbers.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
and how long do you let it charge for after plugging it back in?

It depends, but I've found that it typically takes mine 20-25 minutes to top off (regardless of whether the phone is on or off).

up time

14:52:XX

Awake Time

12:03:XX

installed Spare Parts and did what you said, the top values are Android System and total time: 9m 11s. Below it is Hi FBook at 3m 17s then TiKL at 1m 16s. below that is one that says UID 10005, Media, iheartradio, facebook and dialer at low numbers.

Hm. Something doesn't add up here. Your phone basically is not sleeping. There is only a 3 hour difference between your up ("on") time and your awake ("in use") time. But I would expect to see something taking up a lot more of your partial wake usage.

For example, right now my up time is 5:28:00 and my awake time is 1:02:00. But my partial wake usage in Spare Parts is about the same as yours (Android system: 16m 14s -- Calendar: 4m 33s).

What is Bug Killer? I can't find it in the market. Something tells me that is your culprit (I run ATK, but I know it doesn't ever show in battery history -- something about the API these task killers use, I think).

So, conclusions: iheartradio doesn't seem to be the culprit; get rid of Bug Killer (as you shouldn't need it on Froyo anyway). Let's see where that gets you.

scottfromga

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
actually it's Big Killer, the icon is like the biohazard logo. I installed it last night, so that would be the only real change I've made with it app-wise since the OTA I got.

I'm gonna go back to ATK tonight to see if thats it. It's just weird to see my battery not be full after a night of charging after it's been charging "full" every night with 2.1.

thanks for the help!

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
ATK isn't fully compatible with froyo. Most killers aren't because Google restricted access to the APIs those programs were using (or so I'm told).