Anyone else's battery life WORSE with 2.2?

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I still have to bump charge as well. My battery life seems the same. My up time is like 6.5 hours and my awake time is 45 minutes, which is about right. Seems similar to what i would see before I did the OTA upgrade to 2.2. I did however add an exchange email account the same day after I installed 2.2, so not sure if they will have an effect on battery life.
For those who did have exchange email on there before, notice any battery issues or about the same? I do notice it has an option of when to check for emails and how often. For now I told it to send me my emails as they arrive (push) all the time. but if i can save battery life, i can change it to poll every hour during the off-peak times. but for now, it seems the same as it did before i added the exchange email account and 2.1 days.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday at this time I was at around 50%. That was about typical for 2.1. Today, after normal usage, I'm at 68%. (Seidio 1750 battery) I'd say the jury is still out, but things look better for me so far.

ted1735

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Battery is worse

I feel the new radio must suck battery more. Meaning the wifi. I thought it was the N but even in G only, wifi sucks it down. I was able to get 9.5 he's yesterday of mod usage on wifi and left work with 28%. I have nit seen the cpu stay at 800 .

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I just want to add another two cents on this. Yesterday, after normal use, my 1750 lasted from 7am until midnight. Or rather, well past, since I didn't even receive the 15% warning when I turned in (later than usual). That's unprecedented for this phone.

Also, as to the radio -- my reception has improved significantly, especially for data. I used to get about -94db on CDMA and -115db on EVDO in my living room (data was essentially unusable -- I'm pretty sure -118 is the floor). Now I'm getting -89db CDMA and -94db EVDO. Definite improvement.

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
My signal is much better also. As far as the battery I went all day yesterday and at the end of the day I was at 68%. This is with the 3500mah battery. I had a 3 hour phone call and used heavy email and extremely heavy text messaging. The thing was literally being used all day long.

So no complaints. Again it seems to only go down a little faster. Not too significant.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
After day one with 2.2, my battery life seems to be considerably worse.

I would typically get around 3.5-4 hours of awake time and 24 or so hours of up time when I get the 14% warning.

However, after my update last night (phone had come off the charger not 10 min before) I am only at 1:35 for awake time and 13:24 for up time. My usage hasn't been that different. Played with the LED flashlight for a minute, tops, and recorded a 10 second 720p video. But otherwise, my usage has been the same. I hope it regulates itself soon.

The oddest thing is that Wifi is listed as the top power hog in my usage list at 31%. Its odd because 1) I don't use Wifi at home (never took time to enter code and such), and 2) Before Froyo, Wifi was always down around the 5% mark (searching for networks and such). I wonder if the new radios operate differently than before. May need to start shutting Wifi off when I'm not using it.

droidmindy

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
After day one with 2.2, my battery life seems to be considerably worse.

The oddest thing is that Wifi is listed as the top power hog in my usage list at 31%. Its odd because 1) I don't use Wifi at home (never took time to enter code and such), and 2) Before Froyo, Wifi was always down around the 5% mark (searching for networks and such). I wonder if the new radios operate differently than before. May need to start shutting Wifi off when I'm not using it.
Noticed the same thing - I had never seen wifi at the top of the power list before the update. I use wifi at home mainly, but before 2.2 I left wifi checked all the time out of laziness. Even when I wasn't in wifi range (like at work), it automatically switched to mobile data and it barely showed up in usage.

My battery life was also noticeably worse the first couple of days post update. I'm a light user still using the stock battery and typically charge every other night, turning off the phone overnight. After updating I was in the yellow/red range by the end of each day. I ended up disabling wifi and I'm almost back to normal now.

I wouldn't say I'm getting "improved" battery life, as promised, but given my usage, it's not a big deal. It isn't that hard to remember to turn on wifi when I get home. I don't even know why I would keep using wifi at home - before it seemed like I got slightly better battery life by switching the data connection off, but I never actually tried to compare it systematically. It was just one of those vague feelings with no data to back it up. :p

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i think my battery life is about the same. I did have a horrible signal just 2 days prior to the update, then after i got 2.2 my signal and speeds are back where they were.

has anyone noticed it takes longer to charge the battery?? or is it me?

cshell

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Something is killing my battery! I noticed that it seemed warm this morning and by 1:00 I got a warning to plug in the phone. That's about 5 hours from full charge (no bump). I haven't been doing much with it (a little web browsing and checking email) and it has been running on WiFi mostly. Yesterday it was connected to a PC most of the day, so I didn't notice. Before 2.2 I could make maybe 10 hours without a worry. I never saw the red battery indicator.

Unfortunately I didn't check the battery status before I plugged the phone it, but it does seem to be taking a long time to charge. I don't see anything unusual running. I've just killed Astrid and Skype from the Running Services util. Anyway I'm looking around and will pay better attention. I'll post anything interesting.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So after 2 days I think I have a handle on what's going on. I usually charge overnight and in the morning unplug and I am ready to go. I have the 3500 battery so w/ 2.1 I didn't worry about bump charging because it just didn't make that big of a difference over the course of the day.

Now with 2.2, I think that bump charging, or at least re-charging (take phone off charger for a minute and put it back on again in the morning until green again) is probably necessary. Even with the 3500 I was seeing a noticeable drop in the first 15 minutes of use after 2.2.

I believe it is the added bloatware services and apps that are draining the batteryat a faster rate than it did under 2.1. Skype, Amazon MP3, Backup Assistant, Facebook, Footprints, Friend Stream, Peep, Visual VM and VZ Navigator. All of these things are running and personally, I don't use ANY of them.

We know there is a problem with the phone switching to battery once it has fully charged and not off the power. So while sitting at "full charge" it is really draining the battery. I believe these added bloatware apps are the culprit in draining faster than it did in 2.1.

So what is the solution?

I’m not sure. I am going to complain about all the bloatware to VZW for starters. It will not help the current situation, but I think if we make our feelings known it might give them pause in the future. I'm also going to wait for “unrEVOked 3a” and move these apps to a storage directory.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in VZW with the bloat and crapware that can't be removed w/o root. If you want to load it on fine, but let us remove it if we don't want it w/o having to root just for that.

The icing on the cake for me though is the Media Manager. That's just inexcusable.

Ripagodazippa

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is worse because of those added apps (VZ nav, Skype, etc). Everytime I close them with Task Manager, like 10 mins later they are back on. How can you get rid of them?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is worse because of those added apps (VZ nav, Skype, etc). Everytime I close them with Task Manager, like 10 mins later they are back on. How can you get rid of them?

You can't under normal circumstances. You have to be rooted and then move the .apk's to a storage directory.

Sucks.

Patiently awaiting unrEVOked 3a

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
So after 2 days I think I have a handle on what's going on. I usually charge overnight and in the morning unplug and I am ready to go. I have the 3500 battery so w/ 2.1 I didn't worry about bump charging because it just didn't make that big of a difference over the course of the day.

Now with 2.2, I think that bump charging, or at least re-charging (take phone off charger for a minute and put it back on again in the morning until green again) is probably necessary. Even with the 3500 I was seeing a noticeable drop in the first 15 minutes of use after 2.2.

I believe it is the added bloatware services and apps that are draining the batteryat a faster rate than it did under 2.1. Skype, Amazon MP3, Backup Assistant, Facebook, Footprints, Friend Stream, Peep, Visual VM and VZ Navigator. All of these things are running and personally, I don't use ANY of them.

We know there is a problem with the phone switching to battery once it has fully charged and not off the power. So while sitting at "full charge" it is really draining the battery. I believe these added bloatware apps are the culprit in draining faster than it did in 2.1.

So what is the solution?

I?m not sure. I am going to complain about all the bloatware to VZW for starters. It will not help the current situation, but I think if we make our feelings known it might give them pause in the future. I'm also going to wait for ?unrEVOked 3a? and move these apps to a storage directory.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed in VZW with the bloat and crapware that can't be removed w/o root. If you want to load it on fine, but let us remove it if we don't want it w/o having to root just for that.

The icing on the cake for me though is the Media Manager. That's just inexcusable.

Yeah, just charge with the external charger. I got mine off Amazon. Once the light turns green leave it on there for a little while longer. Will stay on 100% for a long time.

And you still have your stock battery right? If you have an external charger you can charge your spare while using the other.

As I said before I just went with two 3500mah batteries and always have the space one charged. So I never have to worry.

But the external charger definitely solves this problem. I remember this problem when I only had a stock battery and hated it.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, just charge with the external charger. I got mine off Amazon. Once the light turns green leave it on there for a little while longer. Will stay on 100% for a long time.

And you still have your stock battery right? If you have an external charger you can charge your spare while using the other.

As I said before I just went with two 3500mah batteries and always have the space one charged. So I never have to worry.

But the external charger definitely solves this problem. I remember this problem when I only had a stock battery and hated it.

I'm getting through the day ok, Re-charging in the morning helps it last even longer.

My beef is that VZW took a base release that EVERYONE who has installed custom Froyo ROM's has said was much better in battery life, and killed it with crapware.

I've even read some posts that the crapware is keeping the phone from charging while using GoogleNav in the car. I have not tested that yet, but I will tomorrow.

I get the fact that there are marketing agreements and cash changing hands to pre-load this junk, but please let me get rid of it. VZW and the app developer are NEVER going to get my money for VZNav or CityID. At least in 2.1 Skype was a market download that I could choose to not download.

Last edited:

kevinb120

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that cityID and some of the other 'bloatware' is really even running. Try dumping the task managers, they are causing more problems then not. Go to the internal 'running services' on the phone and you will see that hardly anything is actually in use(without atk installed). Using ATK was having all these apps showing if not actually starting themselves, it just doesn't work anymore with froyo. Ending skype with the built in manager seems to keep it off, with atk it repeatedly turns back on in seconds.

I also think the initial drop off from 100 down to 96% or so is only because the battery meter is more accurately calibrated now.

ETA: I turned it off in the 'running services' screen 20 minutes ago, and skype is still inactive. The thing is darn accurate, you can watch things occasionally come on for a split second to sync and then close themselves.

I DID notice that googlenav was crushing the battery, even with my car's internal USB hooked up to charge. But that was with ATK as well. I'll have to try it again tomorrow on the road.

Last edited: