Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Problem playing wav files

Background: Where I work, we have a Cisco VOIP system and it is set up so that when someone leaves a voice mail on my office extension, the Call Manager converts the voice mail to a wav file and emails it to me as an attachment.

Problem: I updated to 2.2 this morning. Since the update, I have not been able to listen to these attachments. Tried saving the wav files to the sd card and playing them through a few different media players, but none of them are working. I tried Verizon support and they were no help, other than they are going to report the problem to Google.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to work again? Thanks in advance.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

bump, anyone got any ideas?

This is a known problem that is related to the StageFright audio codecs that Google added to Froyo. Those codecs also reduce the bitrate on streaming music services, which is why Pandora, Slacker, and others sound a lot worse on the current build.

There is an app in the market called Remote Wave that should still work, although I haven't tested it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary View Post
    Those codecs also reduce the bitrate on streaming music services, which is why Pandora, Slacker, and others sound a lot worse on the current build.
    Seriously? Pandora and Slacker already sounded pretty bad when I was hooking up to my car stereo (even with the "higher bitrate" option turned on). This is almost a deal-breaker for me and I seriously might consider down-grading to 2.1

Google has already released a patch, but it does not appear to have made it's way into this build.

http://www.androidcentral.com/fix-co...o-audio-issues
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the explanation Revolutionary. I don't want to have to pay for an app for a feature that should work (and did work on 2.1). Guess, I'll just wait for the patch to make its way to the Inc.

I should clarify that I don't know if the patch fixes the WAV problem -- it could just fix the AAC audio problem. Time will tell, I guess. You can apply a fix if you are rooted, but otherwise its a waiting game.

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

WAV playback was a problem long before stagefright and 2.2. I had the same issue as the OP and turns out there are several different types of WAV files and Android just simply doesn't support WAV files in all it's formats and sounds like 2.2 changed the supported formats. This was an issue for iPhone in the early stages too and there were website dedicated specifically to converting the wav files and forwarding them to you in other formats.

Voicemail Conversions - Home