froyo and WMA

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I love froyo, BUT all of my WMA music id3 info is gone. The artist info is unknown. What a major pain in the ***! Anyone know of a fix?

KayIslandDrunk

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is reported in the Google Code site:

Issue 10957 - android - Android 2.2 no longer reads tag information on .wma files - Project Hosting on Google Code

Please go there and sign in to Google so you can star the article and raise attention to it.

As TimeHunter says, please go there and star this otherwise Google will just ignore it.

Secondly, I submitted a ticket to HTC support in the hopes that they would push something before Google (which always seems to take forever). I got their response back today, and it's rather infuriating:

We have noticed issues with WMA being able to display album and artist information after the update. The reason there has been trouble, is because WMA is a wrapper and does not indicate what type of contents are inside the wrapper. You can search search for a file converter online, to see if converting them to mp3s gives you the desired result. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

Okay, this is a complete cop-out and is bull****. If every other major media player out there can play .wma files succesffully (not to mention the fact that 2.1 played them perfectly) the solution is not to just change files formats. What kind of customer service is that? Especially since they still state that the HTC Incredible is compatible with .wma files. It'd be a different story if they didn't say that their phone supported them and it was just an extra feature. But to break something in an update and then say "tough luck, try converting it" is a slap in the face to all of us that spent a large amount of money on a phone.