Aftermarket chargers and Droid Lag

stevenhglee#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
So I bought a car charger, ac charger, and usb cable set from eforcity to use for my Incredible. Arrived today, tested out the wall charger and it seems like it's charging just fine but I realize my incredible was lagging like CRAZY while it was plugged in. After some internet research, it's some known issue with certain aftermarket/3rd party chargers. My question is, is it still safe for me to use even with such an issue? I mean it's a hassle because I wouldn't be able to use the phone when it's being charged on this charger, but if it can at least charge fine, then I'm okay with using it.

Anyone else have experience with this?

cshell

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been using an aftermarket charger for a few weeks without any problem. I'm using a But then I don't see the issue you are talking about either. I would think that the chargers would be fairly standard since they emulate a USB charge.

stevenhglee#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
well if this issue was more widespread I think I would have definitely been aware about it before I bought these aftermarket accessories, but it looks like they exist:

Droid lags and some apps wont run when charging - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
When charging, a ghost takes over my phone - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum
Droid's Touch Screen "Tweeks out" when plugged in to charger - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

it's definitely the charger though, because as soon as I unplug it, lag is gone like a fart in the wind

stevenhglee#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Looks like it just finished charging and the LED turned green. Unplugged it and turned it off and replugged it and saw the orange LED again so leaving it now to bump charge.

I just want to know if it's safe to use =\

stevenhglee#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
hmm it doesn't seem like much other people have this issue, which is surprising since I'm sure many people buy third party AC/car chargers for their phones

What third party chargers have you guys bought and worked successfully with the incredible with no issues?

ShannonDavis

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I use my Storm 1 charger: no problems. I purchased a car lighter adapter that expands to three ports and a usb. No problems with it either.

Note: shewwey, I'm standing down wind. :)

stevenhglee#AC

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
yea my GF told me she uses her old BB Tour AC charger on her Droid 2 with no issues. Sigh, I guess ill just charge using the usb cable since that seems to work fine with no lag issues.

benlevy

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I use Env2 chargers with no issues, aftermarket el-cleapo car chargers off ebay too. I just got one of those car things that expands to two ports with a USB in a pinch: It works, but man does it get hot. To the point where it smells and you can hardly touch it. Finally unplugged it...

dharr18

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I have been using usb cables I bought on monoprice.com for a previous phone I owned. The cables were only $1.20 each, so I bought 5. Also had purchased usb wall chargers for about the same price. They all work great.

Is it smells, don't use it.

From previous phones i have owned, if the phone freaks out while charging the phone will eventually have issues. I think you may have a pin out of alignment in the usb cable.

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I use a motorola droid charger on my Dinc and no problems. But I don't charge the battery in my phone anymore. I use an external charger and charge the battery outside the phone while another one is in.

I'd stick with the better names in chargers. Can find motorola ones really cheap and blackberry tour chargers also work for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781