It seems most people having good luck with froyo 2.2...safe to download now ??

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
1. When you say follow the instructions exactly, do you just mean the instructions that come up on the phone itself ?.....Or, are there any other instructions to follow...such as something on the VZW site.

2. Also, does anyone know if the 2.2 update comes with a SD / File Explorer, or do we still need to use one of the explorers from the market ? I have been using Blackmoon File browser, which seems to work ok.

3. Also, my phone is not rooted. So, I shouldn't lose any apps. or data stored in my apps, right ??

I little nervous to to this, but I am tired of the prompt to update coming up and hopefully like others have stated, most people are having no problems...and we are just hearing from a small minority of people that had issues.

I think he's talking about the instructions for manually doing it. Not sure.

2.2 Does not come with a file explorer. You will need to use one from the market.

You won't lose any apps or data. Everything will be exactly as it was before.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
1. When you say follow the instructions exactly, do you just mean the instructions that come up on the phone itself ?.....Or, are there any other instructions to follow...such as something on the VZW site.

2. Also, does anyone know if the 2.2 update comes with a SD / File Explorer, or do we still need to use one of the explorers from the market ? I have been using Blackmoon File browser, which seems to work ok.

3. Also, my phone is not rooted. So, I shouldn't lose any apps. or data stored in my apps, right ??

I little nervous to to this, but I am tired of the prompt to update coming up and hopefully like others have stated, most people are having no problems...and we are just hearing from a small minority of people that had issues.

Thanks for the advice !

Regarding question #1 ... what I intended to ask was...does the phone simply walk you through the steps on how to upgrade to Froyo. I assume yes, I haven't seen any kind of instructions posted anywhere.

I will pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow.... but good to hear your advice and others' advice...makes me feel a little more confident.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It feels like I'm the lone ranger here not wanting to do the update yet. Just a fyi; I did figure out how to get rid if the pesky notification... Got the battery cover off in prep to pull the battery at the onset of the update, turned off wifi, clicked install on the update notification then pulled the battery at the beginning of the update. I had to reinstall the battery, power on then pull the battery a couple more times as I saw the update green progress bar start but on repeat #3 the notification went away. I don''t recommend this for anyone else... but it worked for me.

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
It feels like I'm the lone ranger here not wanting to do the update yet. Just a fyi; I did figure out how to get rid if the pesky notification... Got the battery cover off in prep to pull the battery at the onset of the update, turned off wifi, clicked install on the update notification then pulled the battery at the beginning of the update. I had to reinstall the battery, power on then pull the battery a couple more times as I saw the update green progress bar start but on repeat #3 the notification went away. I don''t recommend this for anyone else... but it worked for me.

Well, once you join 2.2 you'll probably like it. It really is just a huge improvement like I said before. When you get your next device it will possibly even have 3.0! That is supposed to come out with the devices coming out this holiday season. I am looking forward to seeing what comes out.

I upgrade in January with my annual upgrade. I bought my Dinc full price. But I won't be purchasing any new phone until the external charger for it and extended batteries are out. When I first got my Dinc I couldn't find an external charger and it was horrible because I'm so used to that.

Should be a very fun year to see what Android rolls out in the holiday season!

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Well, once you join 2.2 you'll probably like it. It really is just a huge improvement like I said before. When you get your next device it will possibly even have 3.0! That is supposed to come out with the devices coming out this holiday season. I am looking forward to seeing what comes out.

I upgrade in January with my annual upgrade. I bought my Dinc full price. But I won't be purchasing any new phone until the external charger for it and extended batteries are out. When I first got my Dinc I couldn't find an external charger and it was horrible because I'm so used to that.

Should be a very fun year to see what Android rolls out in the holiday season!

Just downloaded 2.2, took about 10 minutes. No major issues noticed yet. It's faster and I like the new texting and ability to easily attach pictures, etc.

One issue I have noticed is that when I use the 'magnifying glass' on the You Tube widget, it doesn't open up a search function. I am searching the forums to see if anyone else has this issue.

jason

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Just downloaded 2.2, took about 10 minutes. No major issues noticed yet. It's faster and I like the new texting and ability to easily attach pictures, etc.

One issue I have noticed is that when I use the 'magnifying glass' on the You Tube widget, it doesn't open up a search function. I am searching the forums to see if anyone else has this issue.

jason

This option on the YouTube widget is working for me. Hold down the widget and remove it and then put it back on there and restart your phone by taking the battery out and putting it back in.

Definitely not a 2.2 issue. Did you have this widget on there before you installed 2.2? That could be the problem. Once taking it off and putting it back on and maybe a restart it should work.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
This option on the YouTube widget is working for me. Hold down the widget and remove it and then put it back on there and restart your phone by taking the battery out and putting it back in.

Definitely not a 2.2 issue. Did you have this widget on there before you installed 2.2? That could be the problem. Once taking it off and putting it back on and maybe a restart it should work.

Yeah, I had the widget installed before. The difference I see with 2.2 is a scrolling "most viewed" area on the widget.

I will try your suggestion and report back.

thanks, Logan.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site

Logan, I was able to get the search button working on Youtube by just pulling the widget off of my homescreen, then reinstallling it.

thanks !!

kcconn

May 29, 2010
Visit site
If you think your battery was bad before froyo, just wait! It's not so much froyo as the stuff that comes with it like the apps that you have no way of uninstalling. Now that task killers can't force close others apps you can't control battery consumption. Froyo, does have a built in task manager and it will stop your apps for a little while, but they will start back up on their own. Apps, like Amazon mp3, City I'D, etc.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
If you think your battery was bad before froyo, just wait! It's not so much froyo as the stuff that comes with it like the apps that you have no way of uninstalling. Now that task killers can't force close others apps you can't control battery consumption. Froyo, does have a built in task manager and it will stop your apps for a little while, but they will start back up on their own. Apps, like Amazon mp3, City I'D, etc.

Yes, I have tried holding down the app. in ATK, then selecting Force Stop/Detail and it stops the apps for a while, then they reappear.

I have noticed new apps like Skype, Amazon MP3 and VZ Navigator in my apps. list. Skype, Amazon MP3 and City ID keep reappearing.

I have my ATK to kill apps every 30 minutes.

Also noticing more adds with apps. now.

jbh00jh

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the 8/26 RUU 2.2 update over at xda and it works great , no problems.
The RUU wipes you phone clean before it starts loading 2.2 and you start with a clean slate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay