Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Music skipping with stock HTC player + SD card

I've had my incredible for more than a month now and until this week I've always stored and play my music using the phones internal hard drive. I never experienced any lag or music skipping using this method. This was all while running the stock Android 2.1. Early this week I upgraded to Froyo using the manual method and last night I upgraded the stock 2GB SD Card to a Sandisk 16GB Class 2 card. Today I started listening to music form the SD card for the first time ever and I noticed that for almost every track I get some skipping/lag during music playback. I'm leaning towards the idea that the speed of the SD card (Class 2) is the culprit and that it has nothing to do with the Froyo upgrade. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? This is a deal breaker for me (you don't need to be an audiophile to find this annoying), so I was wondering if there are any solutions alternatives. From what I've read, the faster (class 4) SD cards are not available in the US. Is this true? I'll appreciate some feedback.

Last edited by klittle81; 06-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess I didn't check that well in Amazon when I made my order. For price comparison purposes, can you recommend me some other good/reputable brands? The only one that comes to mind are Kingston and Samsung. I found a class 10 Sandisk in Amazon, but just in case

See what HTC recommends. Sometimes getting the fastest speed isn't the best option. I honestly highly doubt you need a class 10 card with a phone. Not even my DSLR camera needs a class 10 and it does 1080p video and 15 megapixel pictures. Really nice Canon camera. It just requires a class 6.

And I'm only running a 4 in it I believe and it works great.

Also the brand is important like you mentioned. Go with popular brands like sandisk and you should be fine. Don't find the cheapest highest class card you can find. Although I do have a PNY brand in my camera which isn't an expensive brand and it works great.
    HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 Froyo

Using 3500mah Extended Battery x2 with external charger.
    Thanked by:

My music has always been on the internal phone memory since I got the phone back in April (only came with a 2gb card) with 2.1 and I don't remember it skipping even while playing games at the same time.
    Since the upgrade to 2.2 I have noticed my music skipping even while its in my pocket. So I would have to say that it is a software issue.
    The only real way to check in your case is to move your music to the internal phone memory or put your old SD card back in and test it.
    D Inc on launch day- Galaxy Nexus on launch day----Dev Edition Moto X better late than never----Love me some Android.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by CutlaSS View Post
    My music has always been on the internal phone memory since I got the phone back in April (only came with a 2gb card) with 2.1 and I don't remember it skipping even while playing games at the same time.
    Since the upgrade to 2.2 I have noticed my music skipping even while its in my pocket. So I would have to say that it is a software issue.
    The only real way to check in your case is to move your music to the internal phone memory or put your old SD card back in and test it.
    So even when using the internal memory you are noticing skipping on 2.2? I just formatted my SD card this morning (as suggested by klittle81) and I'm no longer noticing any skipping. Granted, I've only played about 3-4 songs, but I'm no longer experiencing skipping after the format. I'll post an update at the end of the day

Quote Originally Posted by logan78511 View Post
    See what HTC recommends. Sometimes getting the fastest speed isn't the best option. I honestly highly doubt you need a class 10 card with a phone. Not even my DSLR camera needs a class 10 and it does 1080p video and 15 megapixel pictures. Really nice Canon camera. It just requires a class 6.

And I'm only running a 4 in it I believe and it works great.

Also the brand is important like you mentioned. Go with popular brands like sandisk and you should be fine. Don't find the cheapest highest class card you can find. Although I do have a PNY brand in my camera which isn't an expensive brand and it works great.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently testing the phone after the SD card format. Not sure if CutlaSS is the only experiencing the skipping with internal storage usage. Just for sanity check (since I have Froyo now), if the issue persists I'll do a 2nd test by playing music again from internal storage. If the issue is not present then, then I'll definitely upgrade the card to class 4 or 6.
    Last edited by galactor; 09-03-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

grab the app called "headset blocker", add the widget to a screen and enable it. This will fix the music skipping:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.idun...headsetblocker

"Tired of your phone randomly skipping songs because it thinks your headphones are controlling the music? This simple widget allows you to block and intercept unwanted headphone control signals which seem to accidentally occur from time to time.

IMPORTANT: This is ONLY a widget! You must add the widget to start blocking!"
    Last edited by lowping; 09-03-2010 at 01:16 PM.

yes the music skips on phone memory now with 2.2.
    D Inc on launch day- Galaxy Nexus on launch day----Dev Edition Moto X better late than never----Love me some Android.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Ok. I can happily say that after I formatted the new SD card and recopy the music with Salling Media Sync everything is working great. I haven't experience any 1-sec skip or anything like that. The only "lag" I noticed is when the HTC Music app is fetching the album artwork. Other than that I'm back to "happy status". I plan to use the phone's internal memory for photos and other non-essential, but will try to test some songs in internal memory (post-Froyo) to confirm (or deny) what people are experiencing.

Default Fix for skipping sd cards

try this website
    SD Formatter 3.0 (Beta) for SD/SDHC/SDXC - SD Association

Some sd cards cant get reformatted by the microsoft reformatter in windows so download the one on this site and try it.
    It worked for my sd card.
    I was ready to throw my card and phone off the bridge......
    Now it works. lol