1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Default *228 commands

Can anyone clarify the 4 228 commands? I know Opt 1 is to program and Opt 2 is to update PRL and roaming capabilities but please clarify what #22899 and #22890 do. Thanks

When I worked at Verizon those were direct dialers into the PRL update (22899) and activation (22890). We got a notice from the network admins to NOT use those extensions anymore and just dial *228.

Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

Also, *228 option 1 also updates the PRL. You don't have to call and do both.
    Rooted & ROM'd 32GB White Mist Verizon Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    6,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

to add to this since its dealing with *228 thing is *18 locates the closest tower

Dialing *18 just shows a 2 second screen though , so you might think it didnt do anything but it did
    Last edited by davidnc; 09-03-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

Default Re: *228 commands

Quote Originally Posted by metalrocker View Post
    When I worked at Verizon those were direct dialers into the PRL update (22899) and activation (22890). We got a notice from the network admins to NOT use those extensions anymore and just dial *228.
    I still use 22899 and it works as good as always.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Global Posts
    1,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something ICSy on 902

Thought I'd update my PRL since I just updated to Froyo, used *22899 and it works just fine.
    My Incredible is no longer incredible... Hellooooooo Bionic!

Default Re: *228 commands

Here is what confuses me...
    If data is not functional when a voice call is active, how are these updates being performed.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

It's complicated, but basically when you make a phone call it opens a full duplex data connection between you and the tower. This enables both people to be able to talk at the same time. When you do those *228 connections the "talking" done on the other end is the music and it locks your channel down for data connection to download a prl etc. That's the basics of it, but like I said it's highly more complicated than that.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1.1 jb / stock 4.1

Another one I found out about last week was *22800. Apparently, this forces the phone to connect to the Verizon network. I found this out after a factory reset last week. When the phone restored, I found myself stuck on the US Cellular network.