Can Unrooted OTA FroYo 2.2 be downgraded?

afturburn

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Can Unrooted OTA FroYo 2.2 be downgraded? (HOW TO INCLUDEDED)

I took the OTA like a fool. Then decided that i missed all of my rooted functions and wanted to roll back. Well somebody found out how to do it on xda-developers, and i thought it would share it here as well. I added some notes where my downgrade differed from the instructions, for the most part though, it was on the money.

Last edited:

afturburn

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
The instuctions work great. I am going to repost them here. I am back to 2.1 and ready to unrevoke and forever my DiNC.

How to downgrade and root your DInc from 2.2

taken from How to downgrade and root your DInc from 2.2 | with props given to zeiroe!!

Fortunately we have an exploding community. Forumite smwoodward posted a guide on xda-developers.com to roll back your Radio, HBOOT and OS. With his guide, you can install the rom.zip file for any RUU applicable to your DInc. Seems smwoodward saw that the EVO users were in the same boat in the past and the same fix for them applies to the DInc. This fix should also apply to any new DInc?s that come to stores with 2.2 already installed.

** Not responsible if you break/brick your device or if your cat gets herpes. This guide was written assuming you have a basic understanding of ADB and it is required that your SDcard be formatted in FAT32**

• If you haven?t already, download the Android SDK here. Extract it to a folder on the root of your C: drive. (Or wherever you want, as long as you can get to it)
  • Download the downgrade files here or from the attachment to this post. The zip contains 3 files. Extract those 3 files into the tools directory of the SDK folder. Should be ?c:\android-sdk-windows\tools?.
  • Download the PB31IMG.zip file here.
  • Place this file in your ?c:\android-sdk-windows\tools? directory.

Note: This was originally the rom.zip file found within the DInc?s RUU for 1.22.605.2_Radio_1.00.03.04.06_hboot_0.79_release_161494. Make sure to rename to PB31IMG.zip. This will be the file that the bootloader will look for.

(Note from afturburn: I used the one I had downloaded in the past, 139 MB (146,289,976 bytes)

1. With your phone on, plugged into your computer and ?USB Debugging? enabled (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging), open a cmd prompt and type

Code:
    cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

2. Once ready, type these commands in cmd prompt from your adb tools directory. After every line press enter.

Code:
    adb push flash_image /data/local/
    adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
    adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/
    adb push PB31IMG.zip /sdcard/
    Note: the PB31IMG.zip will take longer than expected to transfer to the sdcard. It is a BIG file.

3. Now we chmod a few things. After every line press enter. It should repeat what you typed in and then return you to a blank line with an $ for everything in adb shell

Code:
    adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp
    chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    cd /data/local
    chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

Note: You will now see some text on your cmd prompt screen explaining the exploit.

4. Wait for the adb shell to go away, and it will dump you into your windows command prompt again (no shell) should look something like this: ?C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>?

Note from afturburn:
    The first time i did the ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin it did not send me back to the CMD prompt, it left me at the $ shell, even after waiting for 5 minutes. A second run of it did complete the task and kick me out in about 10 seconds.

5. Typing adb shell now should produce a # prompt.

Code:
    cd /data/local
    ./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img

6. That will flash your misc partition with Toast?s mtd-eng.img. Once completed, This should return you to a blank line with #.

Code:
    reboot bootloader

7. This will reboot your device into the bootloader and start to automatically install the PB31IMG.zip file you pushed on to your sdcard. The load process will take a little while.

Note from afturburn:
    Now this part didn't work for me. It rebooted in to the bootloader and said Update Gift!!! and then rebooted without updating bringing up a "?" icon, then rebooted again. I just pulled the battery after it got back to the normal phone screen. I put the battery back in and pressed the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons to boot in to hboot. This time it loaded the PB31IMG.ZIP file and asked me to apply the update.

8. After a minute or so, there should be a prompt on your DInc?s screen asking if you want to apply the update. Press the volume up key to confirm. This will take a while. Your phone will reboot a couple of times during this process. Just let it sit. There will be a confirmation message once its done.

9. Congrats! You are now rolled back to 2.1. Your HBOOT is rolled back prior to the race condition fix. Downloading the unrevoked root and reflash utility and running it will root your DInc and install the latest clockwork recovery.