Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wireless N on Froyo

I was under the impression that Wireless N was a part of Froyo. I've tried to figure it out and cant find how to turn it on. I have a wireless N network at home and my Dinc doesn't see it, any help would be appreciated.

You don't turn it on. Just like with most computers you don't turn it on. It is automatically on.
    HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 Froyo

Using 3500mah Extended Battery x2 with external charger.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Prety sure the DInc is 2.4Mhz N not 5 Ghz N (Not 100% about this though). Is your N 5 Ghz? That would explaine why it can't see it.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    Prety sure the DInc is 2.4Mhz N not 5 Ghz N (Not 100% about this though). Is your N 5 Ghz? That would explaine why it can't see it.
    Is there somewhere that you can see it? I thought you could just tell due to the MB it could handle?

I know on my macbook pro I've never really seen if it was on N or not. But it's an N computer and I have one of the best N routers on the market. Reliable and fast so I've never looked that far into it.

I just checked and it shows my network to be at 54MB. That means it's running on N I assume.

On my macbook I can't figure out how to tell it just says that I have N. But I assume it automatically will be running on N since the router and computer are N.

Wireless N was included but you probably won't tell a difference. My area has pretty terrible internet. I get about 2mb... Therefore wireless N for me is about useless.

Default Re: Wireless N on Froyo

I have 3 access points at the house, one on the business side and 2 on the residential side. They are N WiFi networks but one in the res side is 5ghz and both my phones and notebooks don't see that one.

The 5ghz one is used to provide a network to the back of the tv area, something it does quite well but nothing else can see it.
    Active Phone: T-MOBILE - Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Rooted/Stock
    Tablet: Nexus 7 16gb Stock Rooted - 4.2.1 - TWRP Recovery
    Active Phone: VZW - HTC ReZound - Rooted/JuopunutBear S-Off - Stock GB 2.01.605.11 ROM

Global Posts
    614 Global Posts

I have a Linksys wrt150N router. If I put the router on mixed, my download speeds are 1300 kbs. If I use G, I get 14,000 - 15,000kbs, and the range has been much better since upgrade to 2.2. I thought I could use mixed, but it just didn't work right. I do get better range and speeds than before, so I am happy.

Also, wireless G is 54mbs, wireless N is up to 300.

Quote Originally Posted by fillyo View Post
    I have a Linksys wrt150N router. If I put the router on mixed, my download speeds are 1300 kbs. If I use G, I get 14,000 - 15,000kbs, and the range has been much better since upgrade to 2.2. I thought I could use mixed, but it just didn't work right. I do get better range and speeds than before, so I am happy.

Also, wireless G is 54mbs, wireless N is up to 300.
    Wireless n at 2.4 ghz is 54mb though. Which is what the phone has. That's what my router settings are telling me. On my computer it can go up way higher.

Plus the N has different benefits even though with the phone it's only at 54mb. Such as range and reliable connection.

This is what my router tells me.

Mode Up to 270Mbps at 5GHz & 54Mbps at 2.4GHz

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

I haven't noticed much of a speed increase; however I have noticed an improvement in signal strength.

im hooked up to a dual band n router and it reads 65mbps on wifi settings...is that 5ghz? its not stable thouhg it varies from 54 to 58 to 65... the highest dl speeds ive noticed on speed test app is 14.92 mbps up and 1.97 mbps down....is that good , normal or bad?
    Last edited by O.G Incredible; 09-04-2010 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O.G Incredible View Post
    im hooked up to a dual band n router and it reads 65mbps on wifi settings...is that 5ghz? its not stable thouhg it varies from 54 to 58 to 65... the highest dl speeds ive noticed on speed test app is 14.92 mbps up and 1.97 mbps down....is that good , normal or bad?
    Well, the reason we were reading into the 54mb thing is just to see if we were on N or G or what. Not many people have internet that is actually that fast.

Yes your connection is good. Your speed comes from your DSL or cable company or whatever you have.

You have a 15mb connection with a 2 mb upload. That is more than enough for most stuff man. These days if you have more than 15mb connection you don't really need it. Unless you're a business and running multiple computers and devices. But if it's just you and the internet alone then that's a really good connection.

Not many people actually have a 54mb connection like I said. Maybe a business but not many residential areas are gonna have anything near that. Although in some areas they are testing and do have higher connections than most.

I have a 20mb download connection. And a 6mb upload connection. So I have a slightly faster download than you have and a lot faster upload. But honestly most stuff doesn't take up that kinda speed so you wouldn't tell much difference in yours or mine unless maybe uploading a video.

Mine sometimes gets up to around 26mb. And I only pay 19.99 a month for it!

But in the future we will have 1 GB connections.

Quote Originally Posted by logan78511 View Post
    Well, the reason we were reading into the 54mb thing is just to see if we were on N or G or what. Not many people have internet that is actually that fast.

Yes your connection is good. Your speed comes from your DSL or cable company or whatever you have.

You have a 15mb connection with a 2 mb upload. That is more than enough for most stuff man. These days if you have more than 15mb connection you don't really need it. Unless you're a business and running multiple computers and devices. But if it's just you and the internet alone then that's a really good connection.

Not many people actually have a 54mb connection like I said. Maybe a business but not many residential areas are gonna have anything near that. Although in some areas they are testing and do have higher connections than most.

I have a 20mb download connection. And a 6mb upload connection. So I have a slightly faster download than you have and a lot faster upload. But honestly most stuff doesn't take up that kinda speed so you wouldn't tell much difference in yours or mine unless maybe uploading a video.

Mine sometimes gets up to around 26mb. And I only pay 19.99 a month for it!

But in the future we will have 1 GB connections.
    Thanks for the info....wow that's really fast internet for that low price. Who do you have as an internet service provider?

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

The numbers most people are talking about are the internal network speed...

When you connect a wireless laptop to a wireless router and it says something like "Connected Signal Strength Excellent, Speed: 54Mbps"... It doesn't mean you're getting 54Mbps on the internet, you're only getting a 54Mbps connection between your WiFi device and router...
    Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible

Circle Me on Google+

Twitter: @CRKhead
    PSN: CRKhead
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well, I think I figured it out. I called Verizon who transfered me over to an HTC rep who was very unhelpful to say the least. The girl on the phone had no clue what she was doing or talking about. She told me that I needed to turn off Wireless N so I could see it????? Well after messing around with things, my dual band Netgear router will only transmit dual band if wireless G is in the 2.4Ghz range and the N is in the 5Ghz range. When I had the N transmitting in the 2.4Ghz range all was good, but not in the 5Ghz range. So I have to assume that the Dinc doesn't have the capabilities of 5Ghz wifi even though the clueless HTC rep said it did.

Global Posts
    7,547 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I have a netgear router also ( model:wndr3700)no issue with connecting to it , the incredible saw the wireless signal just had to enter my password then and it connected right up, default router set up just changed password on it

Quote Originally Posted by bunjy View Post
    I haven't noticed much of a speed increase; however I have noticed an improvement in signal strength.
    I have seen a HUGE difference is signal strength since froyo. I still have a wireless b router. Its on the second floor and I could not get a signal from my basement, but my friends iPhone could. Since froyo, I get good signal anywhere in the house and even outside the house as well.

Global Posts
    7,547 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I have seen an increase in the signal strenght as well inside the house and further from the house when outside . As far as if I am on the "N" part of the router I dont know I just know it's WiFi .

Wireless N and earlier. Dual band 2.4 and 5GHz. Mixed encryption. Cisco E3000... flawless and faster for me. I'm running an average 1.5Mb/s download on torrents and seeing great speeds on the wifi from the android at the same time. Some might note that the internet connection has to match the route speed too.
    "Who Dares Wins"
    HTC Incredible... Since 30 April 2010

Quote Originally Posted by O.G Incredible View Post
    Thanks for the info....wow that's really fast internet for that low price. Who do you have as an internet service provider?
    And as the poster after you said it's mostly about your network. But the reason I was explaining the internet part is because most people think that means the internet should be going at those speeds. In some cases that is the case but not for most people.

I have comcast. Which differs in different areas. In some areas comcast can be CRAP and not be a good ISP at all. In other areas Comcast can be really reliable and have good people working as technicians.

I think the advertised speed for my package is 16mb download. But I actually get 20 to 25. Which is the case with them most of the time. They give more than advertised.

You do have a 250GB cab though but there's no reason to worry about that. If you have cable you probably already have a cap. Most people do and don't even know it. But I can't hit 250GB. And that's with streaming HD netflix on my ps3, heavy internet use and a lot of HD youtube and other video websites. Still I've never even hit 100GB.

ROM
    Stock

I have a Cisco 3000 with dual 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless N.

My Incredible will only see the 2.4 band.

Speeds are significantly faster than before.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks64 View Post
    I have a Cisco 3000 with dual 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless N.

My Incredible will only see the 2.4 band.

Speeds are significantly faster than before.
    Yea, the Dinc wont see anything outside of the 2.4Ghz band. So if you have a dual band router that does wireless G in 2.4 and N in 5Ghz you won't be able to use N.

I just think that it was sad that I figured this out on my own and the HTC rep I talked to on the phone told me that the Dinc "should work" in the 5ghz range. She had no clue.

Like most people, I get way better signal. The phone would constantly drop the wifi upstairs before Froyo and now I have great signal. Speed seems to have picked up as well. Linksys Dual Band Wifi N - WRT610N, but only sees the 2.4 gHz band.