World Droid

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I figured I'd ask here since we're all Verizon Wireless subscribers. I see news about the upcoming world Droid, and I have a family member who will be spending 6-months out of country at a time.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge if Verizon allows you to suspend your stateside account while you're out of the country for an extended period of time? (Suspending the account while outside the US can save a lot of money over the years.)

I'm damn glad that HTC is coming out with a world-capable Droid!

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-android-world-phone-fcc

Thank you.

DINC INC

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I was planning on leaving the country for a year, so I just spoke with Verizon last week about this. Unfortunately the options aren't great for a long term suspension of an account.

Verizon will let you suspend your service for up to 90 days, with no charges/billing during this time. Your contract end date will extend by the length of your suspension.

If you are to go beyond the 90 days, here is a trick to minimize your monthly bill. In order to avoid the $29.99 monthly data/email feature, activate a "regular" (non-smart) phone on your phone number. You can also lower your minutes, remove text package, insurance, visual VM, etc...

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Good idea, DINC. Kind of a hassle, but it would save some money.

Hopefully VZW will incorporate some better options as they start catering to this worldly market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae