Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default transfer apps from itunes to droid

Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer my apps and ringtones from itunes to my droid? I have tried to figure it out and come up with nothing. I just got the droid and really like it so far but have several apps and ringtones on my iphone I'd like to transfer.

There are several program that will sync your music. Your aps will not work on the Droid. Different operating systems.
    Thanked by:

iphone apps and android apps are not interchangeable, as far as ringtones, i think they are for iphones only as well
    Thanked by:

iTunes stores ringtones in *.m4r format. When I had my iPhone I used to make my own ringtones and I had to rename the *.m4a extension to *m4r and viola! Not sure if you purchased these ringtones or if you created them through iTunes, but you can try this:

1) Grab the *.m4r files from your iTunes directory (Ringtones dir): On my Mac they are under Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Media -> Ringtones

2) Search online (Google, etc) for a "sound file converter". You want to convert the *.m4r files into *.mp3. First rename the *.m4r into *.m4a file and then use the converter to change into an mp3.

NOTES: As far as I know, android only plays mp3 files. If it plays *.m4a also, then no need to do step 2; I haven't tried so can't comment.

3) Once you have your ringtones in mp3 format, created a Ringtones directory either in the Dinc's internal memory or in your SD card. Right now I have mine under /mnt/emmc which is the root (main area) of the phones hard drive. You can copy the files by connecting your phone to your computer as a "drive".

4) Then just go to through your sound settings and you should see the ringtones.

If you need more specific/detailed help, feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers!
    Thanked by:

This has some relevancy to this topic: the software iTunes Agent will let you synchronize a specific playlist from iTunes to your droid (well, actually it'll work for any removable media). Just specify a copy destination and a playlist to work with and it'll do the rest in a very nice fashion.

Of course, this is limited to music only.
    Thanked by:

boydfam3. I recently switch from an iPhone to the Incredible. Once you get familiar with the Android Marketplace I'm pretty sure that you'll find a very good substitute to any app you had in the iPhone (can't promise anything about games though). Familiar apps like Shazam, Seesmic, Pandora, Weather Channel, Evernote, etc work pretty much the same on both phones. Other apps like task managers and such you can browse the categories in the Market. Have fun with your new phone!

Quote Originally Posted by ScootrNova View Post
    This has some relevancy to this topic: the software iTunes Agent will let you synchronize a specific playlist from iTunes to your droid (well, actually it'll work for any removable media). Just specify a copy destination and a playlist to work with and it'll do the rest in a very nice fashion.

Of course, this is limited to music only.
    Another alternative for music (and photos) is Salling Media Sync (Mac or Windows). It syncs music based off a user-specified playlist. I purchased the license because the free version will recopy the full playlist everytime (hence slower). The paid version does incremental updates (i.e., add new artists/albums or removed deleted ones as needed). For photos it copies files in a kinda messy order, but the music part works like a charm. As with any music sync software, keep in mind that there is better chance of artwork to show up in the phone if it is embedded in the individual files. When you add artwork through iTunes "right-click -> get album artwork feature" it copies the artwork in the artwork directory. What I normally do in iTunes is find the album artwork myself and then select all files and click "get info" and select and drag the downloaded file to the small box in the "get info" window. In this manner it actually embeds the file into each track.