I'm currently waiting for the unrevoked 3.2 tool to be re-released, and was wondering, for someone like me that just wants a simple root, what's the difference between unrevoked 3 and unrevoked forever? What will one get me over the other?
    09-07-2010 01:01 PM
    Unrevoked3 is the root tool and recovery flasher. Forever turns the security signing on or off. It looks like the 3.2 release also does Forever. I had an s-off/on option in the recovery when I did mine last night.

Hope this helps.
    09-07-2010 01:17 PM
    So would i just need to run the new unrevoked 3 tool when it comes out and be good, or will i need to run the forever tool afterwards? Does this make it so I can just turn s-on when waiting for an OTA, then turn s-off after?
    09-07-2010 01:21 PM
    You would need to flash back the stock recovery for OTA's.

I was looking at the recovery but I can't seem to find where I found the s-off/on last night so you may need to run Forever as well.
    09-07-2010 02:40 PM
    ok so if i just want root, I can just run the first utility, then if I want s-off, I can run forever? will just doing the 3.2 update by itself cause me to lose any important functionality?
    09-07-2010 02:44 PM
    3.2 should not change anything on the phone excpet for giving you root.
    09-07-2010 02:53 PM
    Thats what I was looking for. Is forever required to flash custom roms, or just "unofficial" ones that are unsigned?
    09-07-2010 02:58 PM
    Thats what I was looking for. Is forever required to flash custom roms, or just "unofficial" ones that are unsigned?
    No. Forever just means that even if the current exploits to attain root are patched in future software updates, your phone will still be able to load a custom recovery utility, so you can still flash roms (which can give you back root access).

public:forever [RootWiki]
    09-07-2010 03:30 PM
    No. Forever just means that even if the current exploits to attain root are patched in future software updates, your phone will still be able to load a custom recovery utility, so you can still flash roms (which can give you back root access).

public:forever [RootWiki]
    ahh, so it shounds like I should do both...
    09-07-2010 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD