Unable to play Video

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Just was checking out the stock video camera on DI and took a short video. I am able to play video on phone but when I e-mail it to myself I can not play it from e-mail message! Why not? Popup says attachment could not be downloaded! I can view my video on my computer!

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Okay, what? You shot it on the phone, you played it on the phone, but when you email it to yourself you can't play it -- where? On the phone, or on the computer?

What format did you shoot it in, and what resolution? (under settings > Encoding Type and Resolution)

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
As I said in my original post I can play on my computer, on phone under photo's , but not when I e_mail it to myself!

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
That wasn't clear from the post.

You actually said that you received the error "attachment could not be downloaded," so you never actually got as far as trying to play it from the attachment, correct (meaning that the attachment never actually got to the phone)? Did you send it to a Gmail account or some other account (exchange, yahoo, etc)? Mail app or Gmail? And do you know how big the file is?

But if I can peer behind the curtain here, why do you need to play it as an attachment if it is already on the phone and playable? :confused:

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Thought you may have been on to something about size so I just sent a very small video to myself and the same thing occurred! Attachment says Video 0032.3gp 1MB. I guess my other question is can you or anyone else do what I am not able to do? Maybe this is just the way it is!

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hm. Well, I sent a 2MB .3gp file from my gmail account to my Exchange account, and then vice versa. I can open if from Exchange (Mail app), but I'm not even given an option to download it from Gmail (Gmail app). I'll try a smaller file.

Edit: quick google search answered that -- the Gmail app only permits previewing of attachments, and video files cannot be previewed.

Last edited:

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
So this means I can't e-mail a video that I have taken with my phone to another DI! Is that correct? That's what I was trying to find out! Thanks for your help!

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
In that case, don't use the app. Access your email via the browser, where you should be able to download/view attachments.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
It's only a limitation of the Gmail app (which I must assume you are using since you still haven't told me ;)). You can download video attachments using the Mail app, or by going to the Gmail website using your phone's browser.

I'm using version 2.2.1 of the Gmail app -- I'm guessing you are using version 2.2. I don't even have the option to download the video, but previous versions apparently allowed you to click "preview," only to be told that the video could not be downloaded. I'm guessing that was the case with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC