Painfully slow charging...

ecksit

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Any one else experiencing ridiculously slow charging times after the 2.2 update? I used to be able to charge my inc from 15% in 45min-1 hr... now it never leaves the charger ALL DAY from the time I get to work until I get home and plug it in for the night. I'm using the stock HTC charger, and have tried several different chargers of different brand.

On top of the slow charge, the battery drain is about twice as bad as it was prior to 2.2. Which means it literally never comes off the charger all day, all night.

I know smartphones aren't supposed to have the greatest battery life, but this is completely unnecessary.

Great phone, but I'm absolutely tired of this. I'm getting an early upgrade AS SOON as something better comes out. Seriously, I'm not waiting another second with this garbage.

socialillz

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
my inc' charges fine but i agree the battery life is atrocious. why oh why hasn't google, htc, verizon done something about this already.
oh and please save me the crap about turning certain features off like the weather widget updating and such .... grrrrr

mgraywsu

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah after 2.2 update my phone takes for ever to fully charge. Used to be able to fully charge in bout 45 to 1hr with it drained all the way down like you said ,but now it takes a couple hours to charge. This is ridiculous.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've found that going into airplane mode and powering the device off, has decreased the charging time a bit. Seems like it charges a little bit faster that way.

staffordjm

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that my charging time is about 4 hours, up from about 2 hours (Seidio 3500). But I've found that after some initial bump charging and turning off all of the extra sync'ing that the upgrade added, my battery life is actually much better.

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I've found that going into airplane mode and powering the device off, has decreased the charging time a bit. Seems like it charges a little bit faster that way.

I found that standing on my head and praying to the phone gods bring my charge to around 8 hours.........common HTC and Google .....really?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine seems to be the same when charging with the phone off as it was before froyo.I havent put a stop watch on it since the update but guess about an hour to hour and a half, to charge up from almost dead (20%) back to full(100%).

When I charged this morning it had been on all night(not connected to a charger) , I just left it on while charging it this AM ,before I was ready to leave the house the light was back to green,less then 30 minutes so more of a bump charge.

krelvinaz

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
It is not surprising that some people are having problems with their phones charging...

After charging for 3 hours I gave up and just unplugged it and went to bed.

So... you don't charge your phone at night when you are sleeping and you are complaining that your phone takes too long to charge? Even before Froyo, my phone typically took up to 3 hours to charge from dead to full.

davidnc said:
to charge up from almost dead (20%) back to full(100%)

20% is not almost dead for me. I still have 3-4+ hours worth of power left at that point. Almost dead to me is < 5%. Don't normally get that low, but occasionally.

I charge my phone when I go to bed (off an AC charger), as I rarely play with it much when I am sleeping... at around 11:30pm, Sounds are automatically modified so that Email and media is basically silent, notifications and events are up so I can hear (repeat as well) and the phone ring volume is high enough that I will hear it if I am sleeping.

But for the most part, I'm sleeping when it is charging which is a great time to do that. It takes about just over 3 hours to charge from near dead (5%), but I don't sit there and watch it. I normally get at least 5 hours of sleep each night unless I get paged for oncall (SMS), and the phone is always charged when I wake up.

I use it for the day 14-16 hours without much of a problem most of the time unless I happen to be doing something very phone intensive. If necessary, I have retractable USB cables on every computer, notebook and netbook, so if I really need more power, I simply plug in and get it. No big deal.

I typically get 2-300 email messages via various email accounts (Exchange, 2 pop accounts and gmail), 5-10 SMS alerts, 15-20 phone calls etc in a normal day. Most communication however is via email.

Since upgrading to Froyo, battery power is better than before. Charging might be taking a bit longer but haven't really obsessed over it. I have moved most of the bloat out of the way that I don't use so it doesn't run, but don't know if that has actually done much.

I do use a task killer, but only manually for very specific things (camera for example), I let most of the other stuff just run if it needs to.

galactor

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I do agree that while the phone is on it takes forever to charge. I always let mine charging over night so I don't have any issues when I leave home. I know there are some "urban legends" about leaving the phone plugged too long after full charge but all electronic devices have a safety system to stop using the battery when it has fully charged. If something happens to the battery or to my phone I'll just take it up for warranty.

coronaboy10

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I found that standing on my head and praying to the phone gods bring my charge to around 8 hours.........common HTC and Google .....really?
I was serious. Dont know if you're being a tool or just joking. Regardless, my device charges in about 3.5-4.5 with power off and in airplane mode. I've also uplugged while powered off and plugged back in and the light comes back on as amber for about 5-10 and goes green again.