Verizon / Microsoft (Bing) agreement

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty late in addressing this issue (been busy), but I finally emailed VZW to express my thoughts about the VZW + MS Bing Search deal. Even though there are rumors that future Android phones won't force users to use Bing Search, I had to submit my comments to VZW.

VZW, I am going to be perfectly honest with you. With news of world-capable Android phones in the future, my family, friends and I have been quite excited about expanding our use of VZW phones and services. However, I will tell you right now, if future Android-based phones made available through VZW will force us to use Bing and other Microsoft-related services instead of the native Google Search, Google Maps and other Google services, I PROMISE you we will NOT be buying those devices from Verizon Wireless.

I do not appreciate being forced to have an inferior experience with my devices just because some boneheaded executive and a lawyer signed an agreement that takes away our rights, as customers, to choose what is best for us. At the very least, Verizon should be giving the customer a chance to choose Google services or Microsoft services during phone setup.

We will be watching tech news sources for confirmation that Verizon Wireless will be re-enabling the native use of Google services on future Android devices. Of course, we would appreciate a response - a promise - as such to this email inquiry. Otherwise, our next phones will not be Verizon "Droids."

Thank you.
I've been an MS Windows user all my life. I don't hate Microsoft. I like Google a lot more, though -- ESPECIALLY on an Android device. I just can't stand the idea that VZW decides, on our behalf, that non-Google services run natively on our GOOGLE Android phones.

My next email will express my disdain for the Google - VZW proposal for a tiered wireless Internet. Bastards! :)

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has already confirmed that they have no plans to make Bing the exclusive search provider on "smartphones." And they have confirmed that the Fascinate will have both Google and Bing when it is updated to 2.2 (apparently in response to backlash). I consider the experiment failed.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Was there a written confirmation from VZW? I certainly could have missed the press release.

Thank you.

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I would be interested in hearing there response if you don't mind. I hoping to hear some other then "thank you for your feedback!". Lol

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this means anything or not, but the Fascinate doesn't have the "Droid" prefix. It seems that has been set aside for select Moto and HTC devices, but not all Moto and HTC devices (Devour). Maybe the "Droid" lineup will always be a true Google experience and some other phones will run some bastard version of Android for the blissfully unaware to have a choice. If it doesn't sell, they'll stop making them. If they do sell, we'll see more.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this means anything or not, but the Fascinate doesn't have the "Droid" prefix. It seems that has been set aside for select Moto and HTC devices, but not all Moto and HTC devices (Devour). Maybe the "Droid" lineup will always be a true Google experience and some other phones will run some bastard version of Android for the blissfully unaware to have a choice. If it doesn't sell, they'll stop making them. If they do sell, we'll see more.

Interesting observation, bk. You may be right.

bigk, here is the response:

My name is ***, and I am sorry to hear of your frustrations in regards to using Bing Services over Google services. Please keep in mind that the Google search engine is available on all phones, and you still have the option to use this service over Bing. Please also keep in mind that Verizon Wireless is always looking for ways to enhance services to better meet the needs of our customers. Your comments have been forwarded to our Marketing department for review and consideration. Your feedback provides us with the perfect opportunity to hear exactly what you think, and often leads to improvements you will see in the future.

Thank you once again for your feedback on the use of Bing, and I do hope that the information I have provided is helpful in regards to the option to use Google on any of our phones. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services since November 20, 2006. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

I didn't bother responding and picking the comments apart. I just hope someone in Marketing gets the point. :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
well if it was honestly an issue Google would say something about it. The good thing about Android is choices, if you want to use Bing or Google you always could and still can and always will be able too.

Google isn't going to fight the agreement, simply because if they do they start falling under anti-trust regulations for creating a monopoly, much like MS has in the past, since their O/S is quickly being adopted on a HUGE number of phones. This could, in the future, go the way of IE vs. All debate of the past.

Personally as long as I still ultimately get to make the decision of what's on my phone I could care less what comes pre-loaded. What I think would be much better is fighting for an Easy root option provided by either the cell company or the phone manufacturers.

You will never not see a Google search on Android in my opinion.

PIYIRIO

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Maybe the "Droid" lineup will always be a true Google experience and some other phones will run some bastard version of Android for the blissfully unaware to have a choice.

I wouldn't call SenseUI or MotoBlur a true Google experience. I liked Sense until I tried a few other launchers, now I dont think Sense is that great. Plus I still dont have my full bluetooth stack because of Sense. <- *will not let that go until its fixed* :mad:

logan78511

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure they are going to make you use anything. They may have bloatware bing and bing services but on a google phone it is going to have google maps and navigation and more than likely google search when you open the browser. And if it doesn't by default I'm sure it can be changed. BUT I doubt you will have to change anything. I don't think it's as big of a deal as you're thinking.

Verizon may be in a deal with Bing and pushing Bing but I don't see them taking away your google stuff.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
They may not take it away, but they already did launch the Fascinate which is locked to Bing (some Google apps aren't even available in the market).

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've always had issue with bing and the ware it tries to load. No, thank you very much Microsoft, if I want it I'll ask for it! It's a shame too because bing can be so quick and concise.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I've always had issue with bing and the ware it tries to load. No, thank you very much Microsoft, if I want it I'll ask for it! It's a shame too because bing can be so quick and concise.

I'll be honest. I've given Bing several 1 week trials on my PC systems at work. I want to like it, I have been trying to like it, but when push comes to shove and I need an answer, even about Microsoft OS questions, I have to go to Google to find it quickly.

I'm all in favor of our Google Overlords having competition. Even Skynet had the Conner?s to contend with, but in the end, I don't believe Bing is ready yet for prime time. Maybe for 11:00 on a Saturday Night, but not prime time.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure Microsoft is paying VZW gobs of money for this privilege. I mean, how old is Bing and it's already the #2 search engine? They must be doing something right.

That being said, we may not have to like it, but at the risk of playing devil's advocate, I have to disagree with the notion that VZW has 'no right' to include Bing in their devices. That's like saying FOX, NBC and the other networks have 'no right' to air commercials during their programming under the dubious claim that it disrupts our user experience when watching the show.

This same phenomenon happened to VZW's BB handsets last year. Be very thankful we are on the Android platform that gives us a semblance of control (via rooting) if we want to break away from Bing..just like my DVR gives me a semblance of control if I choose not to watch television commercials.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thats one of the reasons the Fascinate never appealed to me(the bing factor) but at least there is a way around it without having to root.I also read before it was launched by vzw it did not have the same android approval as like the Dinc or Dx did I guess that was just overlooked by some .;)

Also if I had this device I would sure have LP+ installed on it . I have No plans to purchase this phone tho ,lol already got that covered . :)

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure Microsoft is paying VZW gobs of money for this privilege. I mean, how old is Bing and it's already the #2 search engine? They must be doing something right.

Or it could have some partnership agreement stuff for being a W7 phone carrier.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have used Bing on my home computer and it is actually very good. But most people over the last 10 years have muscle memory that refuses to let them use a search engine other than Google. It's a synonym for search nowadays. Like Band-Aid is for a bandage. But as was pointed out earlier, it's all about choice. If you don't want to use it on you phone, even if it is pre-loaded as it is on the Fascinate, there are ways to circumvent that and still get your Google on. It will not be manditory on a Google phone without another option. It's Google's OS for goodness sakes!

As far as competition, I am all for it. Look at the Vlingo-Google Search instance from a month ago. Vlingo was at one time $10 for an awesome voice search app. This, I believe, led Google to update their already great Google Voice search that was already free and add more functionality. What happened next? Vlingo made their app free. Things like that almost always work in the favor of the customer. It's the same for the whole Verizon/Bing/Microsoft agreement. And as long as Google and the Android continue to preach about choice and competition, and doesn't make things manditory that usurp choice, I will never leave Android.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc