1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Whats difference between Navigate and Google Maps

Just realized I have two navigation apps on my DI. One is called Navigate and the other is Google Maps. Can someone tell me what the is difference between them? Is one any better than the other?
    Last edited by herbmmm; 09-18-2010 at 07:01 AM.

Well, for one thing Google Maps will allow you to show your location, and then follow you as you move, without having to tell it to Navigate to any one place.

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

Navigate is just a front end for maps. Gives you some navigations options that maps doesn't by default.
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

So if I'm planning a 100 car mile trip which app do I choose to use? Or does it make a difference ?

Navigate is to navigate to specific destinations. Maps is better for plotting places.

ROM
    RunnyMik/stock

Think of navigate like a stand alone gps unit that is tied to all the info that google maps can provided and it can be laid on top. So if you want talking turn by turn directions or not (it can be muted) then go with navigator if you just want to see where you are and where you are going then use google maps.

Google Maps: Just a Thomas Guide Map Book, (Shows Sky-View)

Google Navigation: Just a Magellan GPS. (Car GPS, [Turn-By-Turn])

OF COURSE it isn't Thomas Guide's or Magellan, but I am just giving an example.

Global Posts
    6,678 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I'd use the Google navigation whenever I was close to my destination if I needed it , its similar to vzw navigator.

I'd use google maps for longer trips like I would use google maps or mapquest off an computer or laptop

Last edited by davidnc; 09-18-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Like it was stated before, Navigate gives turn-by-turn spoken directions based off your GPS. Maps just follows above you (an optionally shows a suggested course if you use if for directions).
    I like navigate better for unknown destinations because of the spoken instructions and you get a 3D layout of oncoming intersections.
    Try them both out and see what you like.
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I would strongly suggest using Navigate. I used mine for the first time after printing Mapquest but did not use printout at all. Drove over 500 miles going from Memphis to Kansas. Even when you pull off of route to go to store or breaks, the Navigate lady-voice will put you right back on the correct path. Just my two cents......

Global Posts
    2,956 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 4.1.1

I always use Navigation unless I'm wanting to check out the surrounding area. Nothing beats street view!
    The Storm has cleared to an Incredible day! I ate an IceCream Sandwhich. Still needed JellyBeans. ;-)
    NEXUS!!!!!!

Default Re: Whats difference between Navigate and Google Maps

If you are using Navigation, it seems to use a large amount of power, quickly reducing battery life. Also, make sure you turn it off when you arrive at your destination or it will continue to suck power, leaving you with a dead or near dead battery.

My wife (samsung fascinate with 3500 battery) and I (Dinc with 3000 eBay battery) used both recently on a trip. Even plugged into car charger, the phone seemed to use more power than the charger could supply while using Navigate. Would turn off navigate after reaching our destination and even though plugged into car charger, the batter was lower than it was to begin with. Both phones also got extremely hot. My wifes Fascinate would just shut down, but my Dinc kept working, even up to 127* showing on the battery widget!

ROM
    Buisiness GingerSense 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I'd use the Google navigation whenever I was close to my destination if I needed it , its similar to vzw navigator.
    yeah, it doesn't cost an extra 10 bucks on the bill.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - 4.08 build

I routinely use Navigation for my work, the maps on it are update much more frequently. I have a Tom Tom provided, but it doesn't always know the address.

Google is free

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Google should WAKE UP! If Google is going to try and compete with the likes of GARMIN and TOMTOM , then it had better get its act together, because so far GARMIN and TOMTOM are making Google Navigation look like a pretty useless kid's game. Try using Google Navigation and GARMIN and/or TOMTOM simulataneously. Within 5 minutes you'll shut of Google Navigation because the GARMIN & TOMTOM will have given you DOZENS of instructions while Google Nav will have given you 5! Google Maps is great but Google Navigation is a kid's toy AND NOW SOME BRILLIANT MORON at Google decided to totally integrate Maps and Navigation which really ****s everything up! Google where DO you find these geni-asses??! :-P