Anyone else consider removing all FB contact links?

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I love my Incredible, but I find the whole FB/Google/Phone contacts linking system so very confusing. I can't tell you how many duplicate contacts I have. When I go look up a contact, it's trial and error to find the entry that has the info that I need (phone, email, etc.). Yes - I've done a ton of linking, but that just seems to create more issues. I'm even to the point where I have contacts that don't appear on my phone list, but can only be found by doing a manual search of the name. It's a mess! LOL! While I'm fan of FB, it's much more important to me to have a reliable, clean list of my contacts accessible on my phone and in Gmail. If I want to see my mom's status update or a friend's profile, I'll just go into FB itself or one of a zillion FB apps for the info. Bottom line, less is more in this case. Thoughts?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You can just uncheck that group in the contacts app to not display them.
Or do what I did. Uninstall the FB app and then reinstall and disable syncing.
I thought it was assinine that it gives someone's fb status scrolling on the screen while you are on the call with them.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
As far as duplicates are concerned, go to gmail (from a computer, not your phone). Click on Contacts at the left under Mail. At the top of the list is a button "More Actions". In the drop down is "Find & Merge Duplicates". Don't worry, it displays them first and allows you to choose what to merge. Helped me a bit, most of what it found were legitimate duplicates. Hope that helps.

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
As far as duplicates are concerned, go to gmail (from a computer, not your phone). Click on Contacts at the left under Mail. At the top of the list is a button "More Actions". In the drop down is "Find & Merge Duplicates". Don't worry, it displays them first and allows you to choose what to merge. Helped me a bit, most of what it found were legitimate duplicates. Hope that helps.

This only merges duplicates that you saved as google contacts under your google account. This does nothing for the stupid phone & FB account contacts that are linked or not linked on the Android device. This multiple contact type on the phone is very annoying.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
If you have to do a manual search, then they are in the Phone contacts list, not the Google (Gmail) contacts list.

Open People. Hit Menu > View. Phone is not checked, is it? I suggest checking only Phone. Now you can review all those contacts in People. I would open Gmail (on the web) and add them or merge them or whatever, then delete them from you Phone contacts. That should get you straight.

I have about 359 contacts, and 100+ FB contacts. I don't have any duplicates.