1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unknown Status Bar Icon

Folks,

Ran into a status bar icon I did not recognize today. This is specifically a status bar icon, not a notification icon. It looked like a telephone resting on a few bricks.

I checked out pages 27-29 in the Android User Manual and it has plenty of descriptions of status icons, but nothing matching what I saw.

I can make it happen again, but it is only when I plug in a 3.5mm jack to an FM transmitter to play music on my car radio. Does not happen when I plug in a pair of headphones or anything else that has a 3.5mm jack. In fact, when I plug in headphones, a headphone status bar icon appears which makes sense.

Anybody know what this icon is? I should also probably add that I am running the Uncommon Sense ROM, not sure if it would be unique to that ROM though.

Thanks
    Last edited by IDroidThere4Iam; 10-05-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7.1

Quote Originally Posted by IDroidThere4Iam View Post
    Folks,
    It looked like a telephone resting on a few bricks.
    Phone....BRICKS!!!
    Launch Day HTC Droid Incredible]
    CM 7.1
    whatever the latest version of Chads Incredikernel is out

I get the same icon when I connect my .

I'm running uncommon sense rom also. In my opinion it appears that your phone is associating the headphone jack connection to a card reader or some type of data transfer from the jack.
    Looks like you found a bug in the uncommon sense ROM.
    Last edited by cm40; 10-05-2010 at 11:52 PM.

I get one that I have no idea what it is. It is a tilted rectangle with like quotation marks on either side of it.

vibrate?

On Twitter: @charliemoreno On Facebook: facebook.com/charliem
    Thanked by:

So thats what that is :o

Thanks and I bet that is in the manual which I didn't bother to read.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by rohdawg11 View Post
    Phone....BRICKS!!!

Hahaha, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned phones and bricks in the same sentence
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by cm40 View Post
    I get the same icon when I connect my .

I'm running uncommon sense rom also. In my opinion it appears that your phone is associating the headphone jack connection to a card reader or some type of data transfer from the jack.
    Looks like you found a bug in the uncommon sense ROM.
    Hmm, maybe you're right. I'll have to dig around the Uncommon Sense posts a bit more. Thanks for the thought.
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

CM40, connect your Square then call your mobile number and see if it rings. I'm wondering if it's some form of "phone not working while your connection is going" message. I play Sirius/XM using a cassette adapter in my car. I'll look again when I go out for lunch and see if I get it.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted

Ok, tried it.
    Something interesting happened.
    The call was placed but no audio could be heard and the speaker phone option was not there. Also the proximity sensor would not work and the phones display stayed on when I placed it to my face our covered the sensor. But the call timer continued counting.

On Twitter: @charliemoreno On Facebook: facebook.com/charliem
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by cm40 View Post
    Ok, tried it.
    Something interesting happened.
    The call was placed but no audio could be heard and the speaker phone option was not there. Also the proximity sensor would not work and the phones display stayed on when I placed it to my face our covered the sensor. But the call timer continued counting.
    I don't have a Square, but I'll try calling my phone when I get home and see if the same thing happens when I have my FM transmitter plugged in.
    Android Addict

ROM
    Stock rooted 4.1.2 JB

I connected my cassette adapter on my car to my phone to listed to Sirius through my car radio but all I got was the headphone icon, not the phone over bricks.
    @Android_Lee
    Galaxy Note III
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 5
    KitKat 4.4 Stock
    Nexus 7
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by RickV View Post
    I get one that I have no idea what it is. It is a tilted rectangle with like quotation marks on either side of it.

That indicates you are in vibrate mode.

Lego!
    HTC ONE (M8)!

ChromeCast
    Nexus 7 (2012)

BB 6510>7510>8830>8330 Curve>9530 Storm> HTC Droid Incredible > HTC REZOUND!> HTC One (M8)

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Any updates on this? I get the same thing when using a tape adaptor.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,058 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.2.2 Stock

It's the TTY symbol. Text telephone for hearing-impaired compatible devices. You probably have the phone in TTY mode. See page 32 of the user manual.
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Just a quick update, I recently moved from Uncommon Sense 1.0 to 1.1. When I did that my FM transmitter no longer gives me this "TTY" symbol.

Also, just doing some quick searches, TTY can only be enabled when the OS detects a TTY compatible device connected. So, it sounds like the OS is mistakenly thinking some connected devices as TTY compatible. I don't really have a TTY device so I don't know if this is true, just read it on the internet where we know every bit of information we get has to be true:P