Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock Root

Default Text message gone

I had over 5000 text messages and they vanished sometime between 9pm and when my backup pro runs at 2am. They were missing from that nights my backup, but they were in the previous next nuggts. I have root no custom hacks yet and using handcent. Ideas?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    If I contribute something at all semi-useful please give me a thanks
    Note: I am not an expert, I just think I am

i dont have root and this happened to me last night!

all texts deleted...so weird

Sorry you lost your info, but why in the world would you need to keep 5000 text messages on your PHONE?

Nevermind. To each his own. FWIW, if it's importnant, I'd re-think my data storage plan, though, if I were you
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock Root

I just don't delete stuff that's all. I do backup nightly one the messages disappeared before the backup software I had to go back one day further

ya it just deleted all my texts again...i dont get it?

This happened to me the other day too! I thought it was just a random occurrence until I saw someone mention it on the system update thread. Of course, when I called Verizon, they claimed there was no record of this being a known problem. Not a big deal, but really annoying.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    Stock Root

Hasn't happened in while. I still backup nightly just in case.

Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

I don't keep my old text messages, but I have no reason to once I read something I don't forget too soon.

Sent using TapAtalk

This has happened to me twice now. They have just disappeared. My phone is stock and I have not rooted. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Stock Root

Global Posts
    7,720 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by dms76 View Post
    Did you forget to type anything or did you delete it already

Sent Using TaPaTalk

This happened to me on October 19th. It was kinda freaky: I saw earlier in the day I had a few unread messages, but wasn't able to read them. I took my phone out when I was in a cab later that day and *gone*.

Luckily, nothing heartbreaking was lost, but now I back them up whenever I read 1111 in one thread.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Stock Root

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    Did you forget to type anything or did you delete it already

No was going to say something stupid. Couldn't get it. To delete with tapatalk.

Sent Using TaPaTalk

All my texts were just deleted mysteriously too. Annoying...

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Do any of you have an anti-virus app installed?

The reason I ask is because I've seen some places that say for whatever reason, some of the anti-virus apps seem to be a culprit of this on the DInc and some other devices.

This has also been a reported problem to Google.

Issue 5669 - android - Droid deleting all Messaging/SMS conversation threads at random or triple sending - Project Hosting on Google Code

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

Lost all mine 2 days ago, it happened in August as well. No I don't to keep them forever but I would like to know why they just delete with no notice, notification.

This has happened to me twice. Actually did on Wednesday, but also did something weird when receiving text messages.

After they were deleted, incoming text messages would show who they are from in the notification window, but they would show they were from someone else once you open them in the Messages app.

If I replied to this message, the messages would go to the person it incorrectly said it was from which was nearly disastrous. Very confusing for a bit.

Anyway, a reboot fixed that and all is normal now.

I don't have an AV installed. I talked to Verizon techs and they had me take battery out, do the *228, and then they said they don't know what happened. If it keeps happening they said they want to do a hard reset, which I would rather not.....

Is everyone that is having this problem using the same message program? Iv read when the phones run low on memory they delete messages, I know my old hero would. I guess this is a good argument for using Google voice, it saves them for you.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

ROM
    stock

This is a known issue all over the place- whether the phone does it on its own to save space, or whether it's a bug, no one knows. There is an option in messages to automatically delete threads after x number of messages are reached- make sure that's off. And if you're really that worried about losing texts, use one of the 50 text backup apps on the Market.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

This happens to me every once in a while. According to HTC, this Android syncs all messages with the cell towers, so this could be why this happens.

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by menschmaschine5 View Post
    This happens to me every once in a while. According to HTC, this Android syncs all messages with the cell towers, so this could be why this happens.
    Huh??? Where'd you hear that from?

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by iBowToAndroid View Post
    Huh??? Where'd you hear that from?
    +1 I'd like to know as well.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

ROM
    Stock (for now)

An e-mail from HTC when I contacted them about the common "data space low" notification on the Dinc.

"The biggest cause of this issue is the Email and Text messaging. We recommend clearing out any old messages that are no longer needed. Please be aware with android it relays all SMS information with the towers so if you delete a lot of messages all at once you must give it time to relate the information to the towers otherwise if interrupted you’ll look in your SMS and they will all be back in the phone. We’ve noticed 1k SMS takes about an hour to fully remove from the server and stop syncing it to the phone."

There's some sort of syncing going on with the SMS server, and I'd imagine that this could cause message deletion as well as the delay in deleting messages mentioned in this response.