Why would my phone drop it's data connection?

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
This has happened twice now today, and I find it concerning. I've gone to use my phone, and there's zero data connection. No 3G or 1x. Phone calls still seem to work alright, and I'm in an area where there's good signal.

I tried turning Mobile Connection on/off but it seems not to respond. When trying to toggle Airplane Mode, it got hung up. The only fix both times was to reboot the phone.

What could be causing this? The only thing I've added to the phone recently was Evernote 2.0, otherwise it's been pretty stable (in terms of apps and performance). If this keeps up it will warrant a complete wipe to see if that fixes it, it's not an acceptable flaw.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have turned my incredible off before and had it not connect to the mobile connection before.It doesn not happen too often but has a few times.

I think it is a bug in froyo 2.2 .

When it does happen the way I found to correct it is :

If you see the "mobile connection looks like its stuck and greyed out kinda and you cant toggle on it to check or uncheck it ,, but says its turning on"

Hold down the top power button to bring up the window that shows :
power off
silent mode,etc.
go down to where it shows "mobile network" and toggle it off, yeah it probably shows it is on but its not its stuck.By using the top power button way you are able to select it and re select it but before you turn it back on .....

then toggle "airplane mode on" , After "mobile network" has been toggled off

then toggle airplane mode back off, and toggle mobile network back on, yeah a pita but it works everytime without rebooting the phone, hope it gets fixed with the update ;). Glad it isnt very freq. it gets stuck like that .

Last edited:

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine was doing that yesterday afternoon. It happened a few times within a one hour period but has not happened since. Maybe an issue with the network?

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One of my co-workers had the same problem...I had her pull the battery and re-start her phone then update her PRL....no problems since

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Cool thanks guys. Interesting it had happened to someone else in that timeframe, maybe it is indeed network related. I updated the PRL but I'm at home with WiFi all day so not likely to get to test it. I'll find out tomorrow.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have this happen to me occasionally when I go from a place with signal to one without, then back to signal. It's like the phone fails to register with the network in the new location.

Generally I can fix it by toggling airplane mode on then off. Trying to toggle mobile network is useless -- it will never get passed "turning on." But today (~9:30 EST) I had the behavior you describe, where airplane mode would not "turn on" and the data connection was stuck "turning on." Nothing I did got either working, so I had to reboot. First time that's happened, and very frustrating since I missed about 20 emails without realizing my phone had no signal. If it keeps up, I'm asking for a warranty replacement (I can't presume it's a froyo software issue).

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issue and have been getting zero help from VZW. They reboot, they re-program, they factory reset, and it still happens. If any one can get a strait answer I would appreciate it.

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
yup, i am one of them. i never had a 3g problem until (has anyone else noticed this?) this most recent update we all got, that included "slacker radio" & vz apps" etc. right after that, and i mean right after that update, i lost 3g and it has never returned. new phone in the mail tomorrow...

rohdawgeleven

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me a few times after the Froyo update. I powered off and let it re-boot, data came back with no problem.

I haven't had it happen again for a while. I haven't had it happen after this new update (yet).

It's a bug for sure but it sure is random.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae