Weird Occurence with My Incredible -- Gmail app, Gchat app, and Low Space Error

SoundSaboteur

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I saw the other thread topic about the low data and space icon popping up, but mine has coincided with my gmail app not updating my emails as I get them. It seems to be stuck at a certain point. And I have to turn my phone off and then on, to get the updated one. Even then, I can open it, but if it's a continuing thread of emails, it'll only show me ones from a certain date.

My gmail talk app won't up either. My screen just flickers for a milisecond, and then nothing.

Ever since I downloaded an app on my phone for my friend -- Angry Birds -- this has all happened. I started getting the low data space notification first. I deleted data on some apps, and deleted other apps altogether. I still have that notification! (Angry Birds was immediately deleted because of the size, so that was an obvious no brainer.)

I cleared some data on the gmail app, I think, and that's when it started happening. I also deleted the updates to my gmail app too. And that's where it may have gone awray. I have since tried to re-install the updates, but it never loads up. I go back to check and it still says "installing." *scratches head*

I've turned the phone off and then and it hasn't fixed either problems on both apps. I tried going to the gmail settings to fix this -- nothing. I even tried to uninstall both apps, but I think it's integrated with the phone, because it won't let me.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Most market errors lately seem to be related to how the market is interacting with your SD card. Try this: unmount the SD card in Settings > SD & Phone Storage > Unmount SD Card.

Then go into the market and try to install the updates for gmail. Be sure you are in a place with strong signal (and wifi is better). And while you are at it, it might not hurt to clear ALL data for the Gmail app before you try to upgrade it. So clear all data AND the cache for the app.

As for Gtalk, make sure you have "always on mobile connection" checked under Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks. I have seen folks have a problem with Gtalk if that is not checked. But it is also likely that it is interacting with the Gmail app in some fashion that you frakked up when you downgraded Gmail.

Lastly, for the low on space notification, can you please let us know how much phone memory you have left? And how much phone storage?

Reactions: SoundSaboteur

SoundSaboteur

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Most market errors lately seem to be related to how the market is interacting with your SD card. Try this: unmount the SD card in Settings > SD & Phone Storage > Unmount SD Card.

Then go into the market and try to install the updates for gmail. Be sure you are in a place with strong signal (and wifi is better). And while you are at it, it might not hurt to clear ALL data for the Gmail app before you try to upgrade it. So clear all data AND the cache for the app.

As for Gtalk, make sure you have "always on mobile connection" checked under Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks. I have seen folks have a problem with Gtalk if that is not checked. But it is also likely that it is interacting with the Gmail app in some fashion that you frakked up when you downgraded Gmail.

Lastly, for the low on space notification, can you please let us know how much phone memory you have left? And how much phone storage?

First of all, thanks for replying. I wasn't sure if I'd get any.

I don't have an SD card on my phone.

I just checked my phone's Internal Phone Storage and it's 6.60 GB of total space, of which 6.09 is available.

As you suggested, I cleared out all the data on my Gmail app. I went to check the cache, and it was already cleared up. (Didn't notice if there was anything on there before clearing the data; it may have cleared up when clearing the data too?)

When I went to go and open the back battery covering plate, to see if I had an SD card (you had to buy one with the Droid Incredible right? It didn't come with one?), my HTC time, location and weather notification on the main screen disappeared. What happened there?

As for Phone Memory:

Total Space - 748 MB
Available Space - 636 MB

UPDATE: While writing this reply, my gmail has finally been updated (must've taken so long because it was processing all the updates that I had deleted?), and my gmail talk application works now. I bet this had a lot to do with the data and the update of the gmail. Maybe they correlate with each other.

Also, my low data space error icon at the top is gone.

So everything has been fixed (big THANK YOU for that); however, how do I get that clock back on my home screen?

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Happy to help and glad things are working again.

I don't know what all situations can trigger that "low on space" warning, but it doesn't appear to actually be tied to any volume space limitations. Its kind of weird.

(And no, the Dinc didn't come with an SD card installed, although most phones sold after May came with a 2GB card in the box).

As for the clock, I'm guessing you accidentally dragged the time/weather widget into the trash when you turned the phone over. Easy to do if you aren't mindful of where your fingers are on the screen. Go to the main home screen, click the plus sign (bottom right corner), click "widget", then "Clock: HTC." Scroll right to the third design get the default time/temp version.

And not to be too self-serving, but don't forget the thanks button! :)

Reactions: SoundSaboteur

SoundSaboteur

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
^ Got it; thanks!

And, by all means, ask away! It's the least anyone could do for one's assistance.

Just so that I'm not a complete moron, I did look through the widgets, but the main icon is an analog one, and I thought the digital one disappeared. But, alas, clicking that gives you more clock options -- and the ones I wanted (digital one).

Thanks again! I clicked "thanks" on the above post, too. ;)

SoundSaboteur

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ugh.

So frustrating.

I got the "Application data space is low" notification again, at the top of my phone. I got it this morning, and since then, my gmail app isn't refreshing to indicate new emails, and the same problem is happening again with gchat -- it won't load up.

I wonder what's up with the application data space? Should I be deleting apps en masse?

SoundSaboteur

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I went to my Yahoo Fantasy Football app and cleared all the data from that one. Voila! The low application data space icon was removed from my status bar, and my gmail and gchat apps work perfectly now.

I guess that status icon really does indicate a concern?

ccw1134

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I was bitten by this bug today and like all other reports, my phone had more than adequate storage available. My deal was the K-9 email app. It seems that certain applications in conjunction with the phone "think" that the memory is full. I am guessing it's due to some poorly written code somewhere in the software. The good thing is that it's easily remedied. Now back to tweaking my settings in K-9 to see if I can find a pattern.

NeosCoeus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
This Worked!

Ok, so I went to my Yahoo Fantasy Football app and cleared all the data from that one. Voila! The low application data space icon was removed from my status bar, and my gmail and gchat apps work perfectly now.

I guess that status icon really does indicate a concern?

I registered on this forum strictly to reply to this thread. I cleared all the data from my Yahoo Fantasy Football app (which was at about 15mb) and agreed VOILA, the icon was removed and my gmail and gchat apps work perfectly.

On a side note, I was also unable to download any new apps when this problem was occurring and clearing the data on the Fantasy Football app solved this problem as well.