Pulling my battery like it's a BB

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I have had my DInc since June with no issues at all. Monday I decided to download Handcent and give it a try. I found that it was a little laggy, but nothing too serious. On Tuesday When I would push the power button to turn on the screen, nothing would happen. If I held down the power button I could feel the vibration when the system menu appears, but still no screen turning on. So I pulled the battery and all was well. This happened 3 times and I got frustrated and uninstalled Handcent. I then tried Chompsms, which I liked much better, but it gave me a different issue. When I would try and wake up the screen, nothing would happen. It was like the phone and turned itself off, but wouldn't turn on until I again pulled the battery.

So I uninstalled that as well and am back to the stock messaging application. I put my phone on the charger last night and when I woke up this morning I found that it had locked up again and refused to power on until I pulled the battery. It has since happened a second time this morning.

Any ideas? I know I will probably have to default the phone, but has anyone had this issue?

I am running stock 2.2 (I have not received the maintenance update yet) and I do not use task killers.

anicholas7

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have both chompsms and handcent. I have never ran into this problem.
This may be a phone issue and not an app issue. Maybe a trip to Verizon or a call to tech support is in order since you still have a problem with these apps not loaded on your phone.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You could always do a factory reset which will wipe your phone clean like the day you bought it. You would have to sign back in and download all your apps again and set home your home screens if you don't have them back up. It's not a fun process but it should fix your issue if it doesn't go away.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What ^^he said^^. And assuming you're rooted, backup first with Titanium. Just don't restore everything en masse.

DeadPool

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I was doing battery pulls one to two times day for a couple weeks. I finally gave up and did a factory reset. Seems to be okay for now. I was thinking of making the exact same post/thread about it being like a blackberry before the reset.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have had it since the launch and have a few force closings but I have never had it lock up on me yet (knock on wood).

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
This is not a problem caused by Handcent or ChompSMS. I think something is up with your screen. Take it back to Verizon. One demonstration of this and they will swap it out.

koalabear

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
One thing I have noticed - when you take the phone off the charger wait a couple of seconds before hitting the power button. If you hit the power button as you are pulling out the plug or even immediately afterwards the phone will freeze and you won't be able to do anything with it without a battery pull.

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Update

I defaulted my DInc 3x and the issue still persisted so I called VZW and the tech told me that the maintenance update fixes issues related to this and that I should wait until I received it before sending it in. About 2 hours later I received the update and so far so good. I still haven't installed all of my 3rd party apps and I'm shying away from ChompSMS for now. We'll see how it goes.

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that's the FIRST thing they'll be saying for a few days: "do the OTA update and let us know if you still have issues".

But I'm glad yours seems to be better! :)

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I noticed that I got an update to Handcent and I started having issues too. I know it's Handcent, because the icon will light up orange then the home screen will scroll to the left. It also started to keep my screen from going to sleep. I changed the the some screen widget icon to just the regular icon and that seems to have worked.

Nephilim_80

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've never encountered this issue but I am 99.9% sure it is not ChompSMS, I have had every version of Chomp that has come out since May and never encountered this issue. Honestly I would have brought it in and got a new phone right when this happenened if I was under the year warranty still. Being a former BB user I have learned that if you are under warranty and it's an obvious problem, might as well get yourself a shiny new phone for free ;)

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
What's the update? for the apps or is it for the Incredible? I haven't received any updates.

The maintenance update for the DInce that came out in November seemed to cure whatever issue I was having. To check to see if you received it, look at your applications and see if you have the VCAST app store, if you do, then you got the update too.

ChompSMS has been updated several times since I posted this and I've had zero issues with it and I HIGHLY recommend it over the stock messaging app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34