November *UPDATE* fix

Mr.Incredible

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has posted this. I have looked and all I've seen is everyone wondering how to re-root their phone after the update. Well since the update has come out, I haven't applied the update. After reading about file limitations and others having app problems, I'm glad i didn't. Anyway, the problem I have now is the pesky OTA reminder popping up all the time and it started to get on my nerves. I found this on XDA forums and take no responsibility to solving this myself. I just found it very good information to share. This fix is for if you have not updated and want the OTA reminder to GO AWAY FOR GOOD.

Use "ROOT EXPLORER" if you press-hold the build.prop file in the system folder of the phone, open it with editor. The only thing that needs changed is the six digit number: "FRF91/XXXXXX:user..." replace that six digit number with 264707, save and exit, reboot. My notification was still up after I rebooted, however after tapping on it and hitting back, I got it to go away.
Good idea. Even if you tap on it after a reboot and let it open, wait a few seconds and it'll say "Your system is up to date".

I hope this works out for others as well that haven't yet updated. The new update in my opinion has nothing significant that really calls to update. Especially when my phone is running great. That is until the new 2.3 comes out.

sail4fun201

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was worth it just for the fast charging times. Missed those from 2.1. Bump charging is much faster now and its much easier to give the battery a boost if i stop by home before i go out for a night.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This method cleared my OTA reminder... Remove battery cover, press power on button and let phone boot as normal, once notification appears press install then quickly pull battery before OTA has a chance to install. Voila, gone forever!

Mr.Incredible

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
That may not be the smartest thing to do since you take a chance of bricking your phone or causing the phone to load improperly the next time the phone restarts. If someone doesn't pull the battery in time it could be in the middle of updating and thus trashing your OS

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Uh, hmmm, okay... I've used this method for several pesky notifications and it's always worked like a charm. Guess I didn't know I was flirting with disaster. Thnx

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has posted this. I have looked and all I've seen is everyone wondering how to re-root their phone after the update. Well since the update has come out, I haven't applied the update. After reading about file limitations and others having app problems, I'm glad i didn't. Anyway, the problem I have now is the pesky OTA reminder popping up all the time and it started to get on my nerves. I found this on XDA forums and take no responsibility to solving this myself. I just found it very good information to share. This fix is for if you have not updated and want the OTA reminder to GO AWAY FOR GOOD.

Use "ROOT EXPLORER" if you press-hold the build.prop file in the system folder of the phone, open it with editor. The only thing that needs changed is the six digit number: "FRF91/XXXXXX:user..." replace that six digit number with 264707, save and exit, reboot. My notification was still up after I rebooted, however after tapping on it and hitting back, I got it to go away.
Good idea. Even if you tap on it after a reboot and let it open, wait a few seconds and it'll say "Your system is up to date".

I hope this works out for others as well that haven't yet updated. The new update in my opinion has nothing significant that really calls to update. Especially when my phone is running great. That is until the new 2.3 comes out.

That's a great tip!
I wish I hadn't updated my phone, I could have done this !!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63