Way to Back Up Phone

Hunts99

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been lurking since June and finally had to step out and ask the fellow community an app question that I couldn't find among the forums.

My wife has been having problems with her DInc lately to the point where we have had to do a few factory resets. She is very annoyed with this, and I was wondering if there was a way to back up the phone (apps, layout, screens, sounds, etc) that could be restored so she wouldn't have to reload and reset up everything.

I am not sure if this is even possible and we have 2 DInc's and neither are rooted, so we are running completely stock.

On a side note, the issues she is having on her phone is the continuous reboot.

Any ideas on programs would be great (preferably free). Thanks so much in advance for helping make my household a better place to be!

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
your best bet is to root the phone , its free and very useful . Its almost a must in todays world. After you root , download ROM manager which is also free and then proceed to backup phone . this backs up everything you mentioned . and if you ever need to you can restore just the way you left it , im talking emails, texts , apps , data, cache , system . everything . ITS FREE!

as always click thanks!

Reactions: Hunts99 and sandoff

Mr.Incredible

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use ROM Manager if you root the phone because all it will do is make a complete image of your phone in the state its currently in. If you are having issues with the phone now then all you will do is restore a bad image. I would recommend getting TITANIUM BACKUP and then select the feature to backup all APPS and USER DATA. This will back up to the memory card so when you do a fresh install you can restore any part of the phone you want individually.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
MyBackup Pro is in the market and does not require root. I used it to backup my Inc and had to get a replacement as the November update caused my mic to stop working. I then restored and everything was good to go. The app was definitely worth $4.99.

Reactions: milominderbinde

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I would agree that rooting and using back ups and titanium back up would be your best bets. And there is a good chance once you root you add a custom Rom and you won't have these issue and won't need to wipe your phones.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
definately need to use something like titanium backup .BUT , if you change ROMS when you add missing apps , you need to do 1 at a time , and do not restore data . some data on some apps do not play well between some ROMS.

Hunts99

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Decided to finally root since the updated unrevoked3 came out today. I have installed Titanium Backup and did a backup.

In other threads it was also mentioned about a nand(?) backup running through ClockworkMod Recovery (which I am currently running as I type). What is exactly the difference between the two and are both necessary?

I guess next up is Roms.....?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
MyBackup Pro is in the market and does not require root. I used it to backup my Inc and had to get a replacement as the November update caused my mic to stop working. I then restored and everything was good to go. The app was definitely worth $4.99.

I wouldn't use ROM Manager if you root the phone because all it will do is make a complete image of your phone in the state its currently in. If you are having issues with the phone now then all you will do is restore a bad image. I would recommend getting TITANIUM BACKUP and then select the feature to backup all APPS and USER DATA. This will back up to the memory card so when you do a fresh install you can restore any part of the phone you want individually.
I like Titanium Backup but it requires root.

MyBackup Pro will let you choose just the things you want to backup and put them in the cloud or your SD card. It's great.

As said above a ROM manger makes an image of everything including the problem and puts it all back on.

Reactions: fgcchevy

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Decided to finally root since the updated unrevoked3 came out today. I have installed Titanium Backup and did a backup.

In other threads it was also mentioned about a nand(?) backup running through ClockworkMod Recovery (which I am currently running as I type). What is exactly the difference between the two and are both necessary?

I guess next up is Roms.....?

It's called a nandroid backup, and yes it is accessed through Clockwork. It's basically the same thing as titanium, except it backs up EVERYTHING- there are certain things that Titanium won't back up. It's usually recommended to do a nandroid right after you root, and before any changes you make so you have a backup to revert to in case things go crazy. It's also a good idea to keep notes on which backup contains which modifications, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude