Inc Troubles! Help!

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Here's the story quickly. My Inc is rooted and the latest OTA update has not been applied yet. When I tried to apply it my phone would freeze at the white Incredible startup screen every time! Now...my phone suddenly started shutting off on its own and it won't turn back on unless I do a battery pull. Even when I get the phone back on though, it will freeze after a couple mins and not turn off, or respond to ANY of my actions at all!

So...what do I do? I can't figure out hoe to unroot my phone so that I can take it up to the store for a replacement because my phone will not boot into recovery at all...it just freezes at the white screen. I'm lost and furious! This is my second Inc to go nuts on me!

Last edited:

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
How do you get into bootloader? I know...dumb question. Is it the same as recovery? Cause if I try anything other than the regular bootup it freezes on that damn white Inc screen.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Your phone just didn't go nuts its because you tried to use the update on a rooted phone. Not sure if there is anything you can do to recovery your phone you may want to wait for someone else to reply with a solution. You can try going to Verizon and see if they will give you a replacement just tell them your not sure what happened. I had to turn in a couple of devices that were rooted and didn't have any problems.

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh...I thought I had read that the update would just unroot my phone if it were applied. I had not moved any of the stock apps or anything or even used a custom Rom. So without being able to flash any stock roms on my phone it looks like I'm not going to be able to unroot my phone, right? Unless there is some secret way to unroot another way...

droidfrk

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried booting into recovery with clockworkmod from the market ? since your rooted? If that works just look on the forums for the stock froyo rooted. Then install through clockworkmod! I think i have a link saved for stock froyo rooted somewhere ill look for it and if i find it i will post! see if you can get into clockworkmod first and let us know. should be a black screen with green writing!!

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Tried clockworkmod as well with same results. Thanks everyone for the suggestions though...it just is looking like I have an unsolvable problem.

aspen1284

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well the popup messages to update stopped for a day or two...now they are back. Still rooted and cant get past that damn white startup screen. At the very least, is there any way to block the update alerts or something?