1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

Default SD Card Switch

Im having trouble switching my sd card and finding any instructions to do it without making my Inc mad. I have a 2 gig and am trying to switch to a 4 gig and just want to know how to go about it without having to go into recovery again. Thanks in advance. :o
    Droid Charge
    Eclipse v1.2/ imnuts PBJ OTB Edn
    If you like what I say, hit the Thanks button!

From the home screen....

Menu>Settings>SD & phone storage>Unmount SD card

This will allow you to safely remove the card, then reinstall new card and the phone "should" mount the new card automatically.

You can unmount the old card or just be sure to power down the phone. Years of mucking about inside computers makes me wary of switching hardware without a power-off.

If the trouble is not with the unmounting but with the mounting, can you be more specific, what format is your new card?
    Droid Incredible <> Ubuntu 10.10 <> @thecatwasnot

Hey, it's good to know when you've said something useful, if I've been helpful, please Thank this post.

"I woke up in bed with a man and a cat; the man was a stranger, the cat was not..." - Heinlein
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

followed the instructions but now the the new card is in, it just has a notification on the status bar that i removed my sd card and need to insert a new one. if i go to sd card settings the option to remount the sd card is no able to be selected. any ideas?
    Droid Charge

Now under Menu > Settings > SD & Phone Storage is there an option to Mount SD card?
    You may need to run Format SD card first. If it's a brand new card, just go ahead and format it. If you need to format AND if there is something on there you want to save, you'll have to take it out and find a way to transfer that to your computer first, it'll be deleted after the format otherwise.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Hey, it's good to know when you've said something useful, if I've been helpful, please Thank this post.

"I woke up in bed with a man and a cat; the man was a stranger, the cat was not..." - Heinlein
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

its a 4 gb micro sd card by pny from best buy
    Droid Charge

Sounds like a brand new card, do the Format SD card under SD & Phone Storage and THEN run Mount SD card. You should be good to go

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

both options are there but there are not able to be pushed, ie they are dull colored like i cannot select them.
    Droid Charge
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

last time this happened i rebooted and phone froze at htc screen and i had to go into clockwork and start over again. trying to avoid that
    Droid Charge

Hmmm, Ok, that means it can't see the drive is in there. That could be hardware.
    Did you pop out the old card or pull it out? It should pop out, (this is similar to how my camera takes it's battery for example, push in and it pops out) or did you pull it out? I kinda didn't realize it'd pop in/out when I first did this. Power down and try poping it out and then putting it back in. Just trying to make sure the new card has a proper connection to the phone so that the phone can see it.

Ok, I'm not at all familiar with rooted/custom ROMs so this may be way beyond my pay grade, might have to wait for someone else to come along who knows more.

Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

rebooted and phone came up ok. said blank sd card in phone on status bar. went to sd card settings and formated it, then mounted it. when mounting says sd card save to remove and blank sd card. then it just goes back to the same icon on status bar and doesnt seem to recognize new card.
    Droid Charge
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

ok thanks anyway man
    Droid Charge
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

son of a b@#$% im stuck on the white htc screen again!! this shouldnt be this hard, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong here???????
    Droid Charge

You're totally welcome, sorry I can't be more help.

The only other thing I can think of is to format it on the computer, but that means you'd need a way to connect the card to your computer. I pulled an SD card from my Blackberry and really had no trouble, old one out, new one in, format and I was done. May or may not have to do with custom ROM? By which I mean maybe check with your ROM and see if other people are having trouble or there is a solution.
    Last edited by thecatwasnot; 12-02-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: clarifying

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    Eclipse v1.2/imnuts PBJ

your a genius i had to clockwork restore back to basic sense. once there i tried again and the phone recognized the sd card and formatted it. now just gotta reflash the rom and call it a day, thanks!!!!!!
    Droid Charge

Glad it all got worked out.