Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Nexus S. You do not want this phone

That is the premiss and title of this article and I have to say it appears to be true. How could they do this to such a promising phone. I would never switch from the DINC. to this although I would like a 4" screen.

You Do Not Want This Android Device | The Daily Feed | Minyanville.com
    Droid Turbo

i dont want it, because i would rather stay with big red.
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S4... Retired: HTC Rezound & Incredible
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I want it, want to root it, and share with others about the process, and gingerbread. I love phones though, and have a hard time fanning up on one phone one network, ewe.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Joker35 View Post
    i dont want it, because i would rather stay with big red.
    Could Nexus S be coming to VZW in Feb: Twitter
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

No microsd: Not good. May be willing to overlook that. Maybe not.
    no led: That does seem like a glaring omission. Goog and Sammy must have a trick up their sleeves, right?!?
    Edit**: It definately looks like it has an led notifier in these pictures. Proximity and light sensors on the left and the led on the right, the same as my Incredible.
    No FM tuner: I have one on my Incredible and I have never used it.
    No 720 recording: The official site says it supports 720x480 video recording
    No BT 3.0: Not a requirement for me, but maybe for others it is.
    No dual-core: This is kind of a downer, with all the talk that dual-core is the next big thing in performance and energy efficiency.

This sentence makes you question what is between the authors ears, though:
    "Heck, it's arguably hard to recommend it over the original Motorola Droid."

On the plus side, you'll be getting 2.3, 3.0 and on well before anyone else.

Nexus S The new Android phone from Google
    Please use the Thanks button below and to the right.
    Perfect Screen Shot Ad Free (App)
    Perfect Screen Shot (App)

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

One of the possible answer of the Nexus S not having TMO 4G modem and the dual core, is that when Samsung put the hardware together, TMO 4G was not live and Samsung was still working on the dual core. To make changes in the hardware will push out the launch of the device and Google had to get our Gingerbread this month.

I would think those changes have been made in future updates. Maybe that twitter link from my previous post could either for TMO or VZW. I hope for both.

One plus side to owning an Nexus phone, the updates will come straight from Google. Not Samsung or the carrier mod or bloat ware.

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

"No 720 recording: The official site says it supports 720x480 video recording"

I believe that would be 480 recording as 720 is something like 1024 x 720, or something like that.
    Thanked by:
    BSG75 

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Kratzer View Post

I believe that would be 480 recording as 720 is something like 1024 x 720, or something like that.
    You're mostly correct. The 720p comes from the second number. 720p is rated at 1280720.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by Kratzer View Post

Ahhh.

That's seriously overblown, just as it's overblown to see it's the "best smartphone EVER" or whatever people are saying. RELAX people, it's just another Samsung phone, with Google's branding on it.

My thoughts...
    - not a big deal on the storage - 16gb is more than most people will need
    - the lack of LED light is annoying. oh well.
    - my Incredible has FM radio, and I have used it ZERO times (because FM radio is garbage); I'd actually prefer if my phone didn't have it.
    - Bluetooth 3.0 - eh, maybe a shortcoming, but I bet most people wouldn't notice the difference
    - the ONLY thing I find remotely troubling is the lack of 720p video, and I bet that'll be fixed with software.

Oh and the HSPA+ thing? Who f-ing cares, and who cares about the phone in GENERAL unless you're on T-Mobile! It's the same lackluster intro the Nexus 1 got, and it'll probably fade out the same way, because T-mobile is irrelevant. Most people who want good service and a nice phone will either get an iPhone or go to Verizon and get a different Android phone. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BSG75 View Post
    It definately looks like it has an led notifier in these pictures. Proximity and light sensors on the left and the led on the right, the same as my Incredible.
    One of those is the front-facing camera
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by whipstitch View Post
    One of those is the front-facing camera
    Yeah, I just realized that.

No microsd: Not good. May be willing to overlook that. Maybe not.
    no led: That does seem like a glaring omission. Goog and Sammy must have a trick up their sleeves, right?!?
    Edit**: It definately looks like it has an led notifier in these pictures. Proximity and light sensors on the left and the led on the right, the same as my Incredible.
    That is the front facing camera on the other side of the earpiece.

Also, the omission of MicroSD is definitely bad. I'm just thinking of all the apps that can't use the internal memory becuase htey just want an sd card. that woudl be bad.

16gb i think is more than enough; I have an 8gb card in my Inc and it's like half full. The Internal i don't use for anything except pictures for the camera. I should throw some videos on there.

I didn't know about the hardware of hte S.

SPeaking of LED notifiers, why do all of the ones on every single Android phone just suck compared to blackberry ones?

Default Don't know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemedic20 View Post
    Most people who want good service and a nice phone will either get an iPhone
    err...
    Running a Droid Incredible with the HTC Sense UI and default ROM.

New to the Android world, longtime user of iOS (iPod not iPhone) Very interested in the Root World.

This is whats referred to as linkbait. A Finance blog, who has never seen the phone, but knows the words Nexus S will get hits from Google.

If you have doubts, hold off. We're getting a couple to look over, as will every other Android blog. I promise ya that you'll hear every damn little thing that sucks about the S as well as whats good about it.

My thoughts on what we know specs-wise:
    No microSD slot? Fail. Unless the full 16 GB is one shared partition. In my dreams we would have access to partition the storage as we wish, but yeah.

No 720p? Meh. Google and Samsung got it to work on Froyo, they'll get it to work on Gingerbread too. Better to patch it in later than hold back the release.

No LED? That sucks for a lot of people. Not having one is silly.

Biggest gripe is no trackball/trackpad. Yes, theres new copy paste, but I want my choice back.

I really hope the good outweighs the bad, cause we're stuck with it if we want to use the next gen "Googlephone".
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Quote Originally Posted by sail4fun201 View Post

SPeaking of LED notifiers, why do all of the ones on every single Android phone just suck compared to blackberry ones?
    The fact that the LED notification doesn't work when plugged in annoys me more than the small size of the LED. I leave mine plugged in at home and like to just walk by and look for a flashing LED.
    Custom User Title

Global Posts
    1,059 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by sivartk View Post
    The fact that the LED notification doesn't work when plugged in annoys me more than the small size of the LED. I leave mine plugged in at home and like to just walk by and look for a flashing LED.

Mine works. It shows orange, then flashes green if I have a message. I never noticed what happens if it's fully charged and plugged in, but I don't leave it plugged in when fully charged.

Mine works. It shows orange, then flashes green if I have a message. I never noticed what happens if it's fully charged and plugged in, but I don't leave it plugged in when fully charged.
    Yeah, it just stays solid green