1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question What does this icon mean???

Im very new to my Incredible, and I dont know what the icon means. It is at the top of my phone where the wi-fi, 3G, battery, etc icons are. It looks like navigation..?? It is a circle with 2 perpendicular lines through it, and 4 arrows on the outside of the circle. Looks like a compass. I have gone to settings and location and tried to turn that off, but the symbol is still on the screen. Please help, thank you!!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Its your GPS icon

Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    ROM
    OMFGB

It's your GPS

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz RLS13

That is the Verizon location services icon. I just use the standalone GPS myself, and have never had a problem with location. You can adjust those settings under settings > location. I believe if you uncheck VZW location services that icon will go away. You might even save some battery life.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys. I understand that its a GPS...but why is it on there?? It wasnt there a few days ago, and now its popped up and I cant get it to go away. If its on, does that mean the verizon locator can pinpoint where I am? Such as, other phones on my account..are they all sync'ed with the locator? Sorry if my questions are so silly or confusing, I have a VERY limited understanding. LOL!

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Have you installed any apps recently that could be using the GPS or VZW Location Services?

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No, I dont think so. The only thing I can think of that would have anything to do with location is Google Maps. I used that to get directions to a location from my current location (at the time). I dont really know if thats the exact moment that the icon appeared, but thats the only thing I know of that required 'location'

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz RLS13

weather widgets can cause it to pop up too.

ROM
    Standard 4.1 Jellybean

It's always there... However, it changes slightly depending on if GPS is enabled or if only the E911 service is enabled (which is always)...

Here you can see my GPS services are on... Note the little ))) on the right of the circle...

by , on Flickr

Here, GPS is off, with the exception of E911...

by , on Flickr

If you don't have a GPS toggle widget, you can get to the GPS settings through MENU => LOCATION...
    Galaxy Nexus, Droid Incredible

Circle Me on Google+

Twitter: @CRKhead
    PSN: CRKhead