no podcasts?

tere12

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I have not been able to transfer my podcasts into my Droid Incredible.
I can transfer music, pictures, photos, but not podcasts.

Is there some trick to it?
I have been using DoubleTwist, and sometimes I just drag the podcast from iTunes to my phone (I'm on a Mac, and in the Mac when the phone is plugged with a USB cable, it looks and acts just like another drive)

So, I think I'm missing something about transfering podcasts from my computer to my Incredible.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have not been able to transfer my podcasts into my Droid Incredible.
I can transfer music, pictures, photos, but not podcasts.

Is there some trick to it?
I have been using DoubleTwist, and sometimes I just drag the podcast from iTunes to my phone (I'm on a Mac, and in the Mac when the phone is plugged with a USB cable, it looks and acts just like another drive)

So, I think I'm missing something about transfering podcasts from my computer to my Incredible.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!!

most likely its a format problem.... are they AAC or MP3

if they are AAC they need to be converted to MP3

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
According to the htc website the incredible reads both .aac and mp3 files. (I know for a fact that it reads mp3 files.)

My only guess would be the podcasts may be corrupted or haven't finished downloading. I use to use itunes daily for podcasts and what I would do on my pc is just got to the folder where itunes has the podcasts and just cut and paste them in my phone.

Now a days I just use doggcatcher from the Android marketplace, and it is well worth it if you listen to alot of podcasts.

Reactions: DroidXcon

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Listen to download podcasts. It's not perfect, but it's free and works well enough.

I don't use iTunes anymore, but in the past I created smart playlists for, say, the most recent 10 tracks of album artist "Security Now Podcast". That put my podcasts into playlists which could be synced. That should work, you may just have to examine the metadata for the podcast to make sure your smart playlist is set up correctly.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the replys.

2 of my podcasts are video MPEG-4 video files;
another is audio only an MPEG-4 audio file

is this the problem?

I'm pretty sure the formats are all supported, unless they have some sort of Apple DRM on the, but podcasts shouldn't.

Supported Audio: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma
Supported Video: 3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv
HTC Mobile Phones - DROID INCREDIBLE Verizon - Overview

When you drag and drop the files, do they actually copy? Can you see them using Astro (from the market)? Did you drop them onto the SDCard (the phone storage is not visible to all media players, but the SDCard storage is)? If the files are not showing up on the SDCard after you disconnect from your Mac, can you drag and drop other music or data files? I would have to imagine that if you can drag/drop one file, you can drag/drop any file. If they don't play once they are on there, that is a different issue.

Reactions: tere12

tere12

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I am dragging and dropping them to the phone storage; they seemed to go there by default so I haven't changed it. And when I copy them I DO see them in the phone storage. It's later that I don't see them in the android.
I'll try copying to the sd card instead and i'll also try Astro.

thanks!

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
And when I copy them I DO see them in the phone storage. It's later that I don't see them in the android.
I'll try copying to the sd card instead and i'll also try Astro.

thanks!

What do you mean "It's later that I don't see them in the android."?

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I mean that when I go to view/hear the podcasts in my phone, they are not there, anywhere. So I can't play them.

Well, I do know that the Incredible has problems reading .mp3s through the standard player (for example they wont show artist names and some thing songs are randomly missing) ever since we got Android 2.2. Go to itunes and try converting them to .acc and see if that works.

Just right click on the file in itunes and click on "create .aac version." Then cut and paste the file on the phone and play it through the music player.

tere12

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
NO Luck transferring podcasts

So I created a new folder in my SD Card and named it Podcasts.
I dragged + dropped my podcasts from iTunes into the Podcasts folder.
I see that it copies to the SD card.

But when I unplug the phone and go to play my podcasts,
they are not there. Even the new folder I created is not there in my SD Card.

Is there some special folder where podcasts should be downloaded in the SD Card? Same for music, videos, etc, are there any particular folders that these should go in in the SD Card?

I also downloaded Astro Video Player and can't play videos or podcasts. Nothing.

Any feedback is appreciated!

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I assume your on windows, I have no idea if these instructions apply to mac. (I don't know much about macs.)

Here are instructions on how to get your podcasts from itunes to your phone.

I used to use this method every day and I know it works, because this is how I did it.

1. Use itunes to download the podcasts. (NOTHING ELSE, from this point on Itunes is no longer needed.)
  2. Go to "My computer" and find the folder where you download your podcasts to your computer. (For now minimize the window.)
  3. Now plug your phone into your computer via USB.
  4. Now on the android phone pull down the notification bar.
  5. Click on "Charge Only"".
  6. Choose Disk Drive.
  7. Now go back to your computer and click on "My computer".
  8. Now windows shows your android phone as two hard drives.
  9. One of the drives is your internal and one is your SD Card.
  10. Select one that you want your podcasts in.
  11. Now go back to your folder where itunes downloads your podcasts.
  12. Cut and paste your podcasts from the itunes folder and paste it in one of the drives.
  13. THE END. Your podcasts should play perfectly.

Your welcome.

Reactions: tere12

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i use doggcatcher, all podcast are downloaded on the phone from cell data or wifi. i never connect my phone to my pc. Doggcatcher has a trial version. Try this. Each morning i wake up and all podcast are loaded for the day.

dually

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
All of this complicated mess is why we bought android phones so that we don't have to deal with itunes! For those of you who do use double twist, does it download it's podcasts over the air (or wifi) or do you have to plug in and sync with itunes? And does the double twist playback of podcasts support multitasking? I ask because multi-tasking seems to be hit and miss with some of the available audio players.

A good way to subscribe to podcasts is to use google reader to find them on your pc. The google listen app automatically syncs (the subscriptions) with your listen only folder in google reader.

If you prefer acast as I do, install the acast app, and then push the links to your phone using the chrome to phone extension. I just prefer how acast makes it easier to auto create playlists with filters, ascending and descending orders etc.

Last edited: