Swapping my DInc for a D2...

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Here is my story. I've had my Incredible since shortly after release, and besides that at times atrocious battery life, I have been extremely pleased. Especially now that I have tried a few custom roms and settled on one, instead of stock rooted 2.2.

MY mother on the other hand, thought that it would be a great idea to listen to a sales rep instead of consulting me and got a Moto Droid 2, which she is now stuck with since her 30 days are up. She hates the keyboard. Sigh... lol

Being the good son I am, I offered to trade phone with her, since I figure I could root + rom the D2 to get rid of the Moto Blur stuff to make it as snappy as my DInc. Meanwhile, she would probably be happy with a DInc out of the box, once she gets used to sense.

Have a made a grave mistake? I have tried the D2 for a few minutes in a Verizon store and it seemed unnecessarily sluggish on the home screen, as it is slightly laggy when transitioning between screens. I am also up in the air about the keyboard. I think I would be able to get used to it over time, but it seem like it would require serious effort to get used to its almost flush surface.

What is your take on the situation?

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
That stinks. I would be pretty upset if she waited 30 days to decided she hated it. Good for you for stepping up, though.
The D2 is supposed to be very fast, but I never tried it myself, and I don't really care for physical keyboards. When the Incredible is eligible for an upgrade, you should get that. Maybe someone on the forum would want to trade if you also don't want the D2.

rsk2mc

Banned
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
in my opinion, the D2 is horrible...my fianc?e has one and its garbage. Huge lag, freezing issues, slow and sluggish. Seems like it runs outta memory which hurts the phone. My Dinc still owns all the phones ive touched, its super fast and without all that garbage VZW puts on it my battery lasts me all day and it doesnt go in the yellow.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
the stories I've heard from Biz, I think you might regret the trade. Your a great son but your good deed is going to be costly haha. You can root and rom it but due to the locked boot loader, there isn't a way to change kernels currently. Well at least you cam early upgrade in about 6 months.

Sent from my Droid Incredible because I'm too lazy to walk over to my computer.

j0hnnyRingo

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I went from the Dinc, to the D2...and have been very pleased. Granted whenever I am feeling bored, I switch back to the Dinc. Best of both worlds I guess...

cam30era

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
D2 and custom ROM's

Before you make the decision to switch to the D2, take a look at the XDA developers site. There are dozens of custom ROMs for the Dinc. And for the D2, maybe two. And no AOSP ROMs for the D2. Very little developer activity for this phone. So if you switch, be prepared to stay with Moto.

callen10#AC

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Check Craigslist often for people who are looking to trade phones. I had a palm pre, which I traded for a D1, I then traded the D1 and $30 for a Dinc. It's like I upgraded for free from a crappy phone (webos is amazing, but limited by current hardware) to a top of the line phone.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk Pro

Doragg

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I almost got the droid 2... The verizon kid said they didn't have any in stock but he had some broken ones going back for repair that I could play with. I was pretty surprised with how crappy it felt in my hands. The keyboard felt like the cheapest one I've ever used. My crappy text phone had a more solid and quality feel to it. I didn't really play with the os so I can't say whether or not i thought it was faster or not... But being that its only .2 ghz faster... I wouldn't use it over my dinc anyway.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't like Motorola products. I am really happy with my Incredible. You are a nice son. I can't say anything more.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a problem with Motorola landscape keyboards... it's like they never can get them right. They can get the portrait ones right (hell, they just copy Blackberry ;)), but landscape is a completely different story...

Anyways, hopefully you can, erm... survive. I've heard some pretty p1ssed people after they got the D2.

omfgitsjustin

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Install better keyboard for her and tell her use to use the onscreen keyboards from now on!

I HATE stock Droid inc keyboard and it always lags or messes up when I type. Better keyboard allows me to type about the same speed as on my laptop!

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Install better keyboard for her and tell her use to use the onscreen keyboards from now on!

I HATE stock Droid inc keyboard and it always lags or messes up when I type. Better keyboard allows me to type about the same speed as on my laptop!

That's the biggest problem a lot of people have reported with the HTC keyboards...as nice as they are, they tend to lag, particularly when haptic feedback is on. Granted not everyone has this problem, but a lot do.

I'd personally recommend Swiftkey or Better Keyboard, they're both excellent replacements.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon