I suggested to my best friend she consider getting the Incredible

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
She has a dumphone LOL and is considering getting a smartphone. She is in my age bracket, we aren't kids by any means LOL ok.....she and her husband went to the Verizon store last night. He has the Droid X and surprisingly enough, he likes it. I thought he wouldn't have the patience to learn it, but he has.
Anyway, she was looking at the Incredible and the store manager told her it is "old school" and outdated. She won't like it, that she should consider the Droid X or the Samsung Fascinate.
I personally don't like the Samsung Fascinate and when I used Samsung products, always issues. She has two great choices in the X and the Incredible. I think she would be happier with the Incredible or the X .

I told her there is nothing wrong with the Incredible, it has been on the market less than a yr. I would never steer her wrong. She ended up walking out with her ENV 3 and said she will think about it. She said the manager was really pushy. I am glad she didn't make a decision yet because she has never had a smartphone and she needs to take her time. But I am finding it really nerving that a manager would cut down the HTC Droid Incredible.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
She has a dumphone LOL and is considering getting a smartphone. She is in my age bracket, we aren't kids by any means LOL ok.....she and her husband went to the Verizon store last night. He has the Droid X and surprisingly enough, he likes it. I thought he wouldn't have the patience to learn it, but he has.
Anyway, she was looking at the Incredible and the store manager told her it is "old school" and outdated. She won't like it, that she should consider the Droid X or the Samsung Fascinate.
I personally don't like the Samsung Fascinate and when I used Samsung products, always issues. She has two great choices in the X and the Incredible. I think she would be happier with the Incredible or the X .

I told her there is nothing wrong with the Incredible, it has been on the market less than a yr. I would never steer her wrong. She ended up walking out with her ENV 3 and said she will think about it. She said the manager was really pushy. I am glad she didn't make a decision yet because she has never had a smartphone and she needs to take her time. But I am finding it really nerving that a manager would cut down the HTC Droid Incredible.

They are both great phones, but the Incredible is to small for my taste i dont have patience for a smaller screen than 4" . i owned a Droid X before powerful phone but not smooth enough for me, alot of lag. always rebooting on its own. While i still owned the Droid X i bought a Fascinate off contract. I love it so much more, true it doesnt have android 2.2 but i still sold off My DX. Just love the Fascinate so much more, the screen is gorgeous and its smoother interface. Anyway just my opinion. Eitherway they will be Android owners and that will make me happy. Good luck to them , Happy Holidays to you :)

Reactions: Jude526

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
They seem to push the newer phone because most of the time there higher in cost and profit. And if they sell you an X which has more accessories like the desktop dock they will get more of your money.

I still would get the Incredible over any current Verizon phone and that won't change until next version of the Incredible comes out.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
thanks to you both. I used to sell for an indirect. I listened to my customers needs, seems the reps need to do that more. I bought my Incredible off contract too........still paying for it LOL. I couldn't deal with my BB issues anymore. I love my Incredible.

ic3pO

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I occasionally stop in at my local Verizon store and look and play with all the new phones similar to my DInc... I have yet to find anything that runs as smooth and looks as good. I guess it's a matter of taste. Whatever floats your boat.

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible is definitely VZN's best smartphone IMO. The DX has the huge screen and a ton of nice features but its too big and the UI needs lots of work. The Fascinate doesn't impress me at all. The screen is pretty but has the same shortcomings as the older Dinc AMOLED screens did. Plus Samsung's UI is no where near as intuitive and refined as HTC's Sense. I may be biased but I love my Incredible and will be quite happy to spend the next 18 months with her!

Nephilim_80

May 18, 2010
Visit site
They seem to push the newer phone because most of the time there higher in cost and profit. And if they sell you an X which has more accessories like the desktop dock they will get more of your money.

I still would get the Incredible over any current Verizon phone and that won't change until next version of the Incredible comes out.

I couldn't agree more with this statement :D

Nephilim_80

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The Incredible is definitely VZN's best smartphone IMO. The DX has the huge screen and a ton of nice features but its too big and the UI needs lots of work. The Fascinate doesn't impress me at all. The screen is pretty but has the same shortcomings as the older Dinc AMOLED screens did. Plus Samsung's UI is no where near as intuitive and refined as HTC's Sense. I may be biased but I love my Incredible and will be quite happy to spend the next 18 months with her!

The problem I have with the samsung phones is their UI completely. It's not that it isn't smooth or vibrant, It's the fact it is a complete and utter rip-off of the iphone's UI, the horizontal app menu, the 4 seperated stationary icons at the bottom of the screen ect. People are starting to complain about the LG Optimus 2X saying it rips off touchwiz, that can hardly be said when touchwiz itself is an unoriginal shoddy remake of the general theme the iphone has. I guess it's a good way to get iphone customers to switch to android but that's about it in my opinion.

**Just so everyone knows, I am not saying anything negative about the Galaxy S Phones themselves, I just thought a company like Samsung would be a little more innovative with their design choice on the UI. ;)

Last edited:

jvilly92

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
i think she should just get the phone that fits her. all three of the phones are great so if she wants a big screen get the x, if she wants a small lil beast get the dinc, and the fascinate has the super amoled screens that i think look amazing. the 3 phones all have different ui so tell her to look up the ui's and see which one she would be more comfortable with.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I told her what to look for and she needs to research and decide for herself.
I also told her to not let a rep sway her,she tends to do that. I sold wireless for 4 years but Android wasn't around when I sold. So I am learning still but am really impressed. I think she wants a larger screen and I did tell her a second style Incredible will be out next yr.

Thank you everyone for your input. This is a great site.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
seems like another case off Verizons rep's not knowing what the heck they are talking about....
tsk tsk tsk

Well the manager in question may have poor tact but he is essentially correct. The DI is a great phone but it IS 8 months old (very old for a phone). I am guessing your friend liked it over the other two because it is more pocket-able?

Droid X and Fascinate have one major thing over the DI (other than age) and that is application memory. Is she likely to run a lot of apps? If so then I would seriously re-think the DI (get a D2 or wait for the Merge or Inc HD). I own both an Incredible and a Fascinate and it seems that every other time I have to upgrade my apps I get the low memory error and have to uninstall one or more apps from the DI to make room to install the upgrades for the other apps. I long ago moved the bulk of my apps to the Fascinate (those that did not require Froyo).

The DI is a great phone but definitely shows it's age.

ccmandel

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree...got the incredible over the X in October and would do it again in a heartbeat. Latest and greatest is not always necessary for everyone. I LOVE this phone!!!

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Bing, GPS issues and 2.1. I was really interested in the Fascinate, but I would take the Incredible over the Fascinate for those reasons alone. She may not care about that stuff.

Incidentally the 2.2 Incredible is "old school" compared to the 2.1 Fascinate. OK...

As for the memory issues with the Incredible, I am sure that is a software bug, not a memory limitation. I have 91 apps on my phone with no issues, but I have had the problem in the past, but not in months. That bug, and the charging bug and the two major complains against the Incredible. HTC never fixed them (and I do believe they are HTC bugs). The app space problem is hit-or-miss and is really just an annoyance if you get it. Most users won't have the problem and can load apps until their hair turns blue.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I own both an Incredible and a Fascinate and it seems that every other time I have to upgrade my apps I get the low memory error and have to uninstall one or more apps from the DI to make room to install the upgrades for the other apps.

This has nothing to do with application memory. It's a software glitch that's not hard to deal with. If you look at your memory usage, you'll probably find that you have plenty of free space.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a client, who also has a DInc, ask me the other day what he should upgrade to since he had another upgrade coming on his account.

I told him that I didn't see anything else on VZW that was better then the DInc overall. He thought the X was too big and he was looking at the Fascinate. When I told him about the GPS and that it was waiting for Foryo he said “Cool - I'll wait until you tell me there is something better out there!” ;)

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just show her how most of the negative reviews or low ratings for apps in the market usually say "Doesn't work on my DX!"

I think that is mostly because of the bugs in the DX version of Froyo. Looks like they borked it.

As for the memory issues with the Incredible, I am sure that is a software bug, not a memory limitation. I have 91 apps on my phone with no issues, but I have had the problem in the past, but not in months. That bug, and the charging bug and the two major complains against the Incredible. HTC never fixed them (and I do believe they are HTC bugs). The app space problem is hit-or-miss and is really just an annoyance if you get it. Most users won't have the problem and can load apps until their hair turns blue.

Wish it was that easy, but I have done data resets, cleared the casche, and even re-flashed the update.zip after it first happened. It may be a software bug it may not, but a (larger) os update will probably only make it worse not better. [I'm not saying the fascinate is all that because it isn't. I've got my share of issues with that one as well, I was just using it as an example.]

This has nothing to do with application memory. It's a software glitch that's not hard to deal with. If you look at your memory usage, you'll probably find that you have plenty of free space.

It's more than a glitch, it has to do with how the phone space is partitioned and how it measures how much space there is left. I have to keep it over 200mb of free space (at least according to how the OS is determining it) in application memory to keep the error from happening. If you have to keep a certain amount of memory free to be able to use your phone then you you may as well not have that memory in the first place. Irony is that the Internal Phone Storage is almost empty and I probably would not be having this issue if HTC hadn't partitioned them separately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci