Possibly upgrading

ecksit

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I currently use the HTC Droid Incredible and was notified today that I am now able to acquire my new phone upgrade. I have not researched any phones recently since the Incredible came out so I don't really know what's out there for Verizon. What phone would be worth upgrading to? The Incredible is over half a year into its life which means there is certainly better phones out there to get. Which phone would you suggest on Verizon that would be the best option? Droid 2? Droid X? .. etc.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
The Thunderbolt will be my next phone and I would recommend waiting for it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
There's really no phone on Verizon currently that's better than the Incredible. The Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate are on par, but not worth using an upgrade on. All the advantages they had over the Dinc (mobile hotspot, HD video recording, etc) became moot when the Dinc got Froyo. The newest high end phones, the Droid 2, Droid Pro and Samsung Continuum, seem to be a step backward (and all the other newer ones are low end phones like the LG Vortex).

Wait for the Incredible HD/Mecha/Thunderbolt, which will probably be released this month. It will have support for the LTE (4G) network, and is essentially the successor to the Incredible. If you want a different phone experience, we can expect a series of LTE capable phones to come out in the next few months. If you don't want LTE, the Nexus S may (read: MAY, I personally doubt it, and the N1 was never on Verizon) be released on Verizon as well.

Edit: Many Verizon reps will try to steer you in the direction of one of the newer phones, but that's because they're trying to sell you a phone (and they're all still 199.99 with contract while the Dinc has recently dropped to 149.99), not necessarily because they're significantly better. Wait for the slew of new devices that will be coming soon to upgrade.

For a breakdown of more recent high end devices, the Droid 2 Global has a slightly better processor, a physical keyboard and support for GSM networks abroad, but Motoblur really slows it down, and the locked bootloader means no custom kernels (if you're into that sort of thing).
The Droid Pro is a business targeted phone with a blackberry style physical keyboard and a smaller, lower resolution screen. It's not built for performance.
The Samsung Continuum just has the gimmick of a small screen ("ticker") at the bottom, which comes at the expense of main screen real estate and really isn't that useful anyway.
The Droid X is a good device, but it's really got no advantage over the Dinc except for its bigger (4.3" vs. the Dinc's 3.7") screen and slightly improved battery life, and Motoblur is inferior to Sense. Plus, there's the locked bootloader thing again, and the Dinc got Froyo first (which may be an indicator of Gingerbread as well).
The Samsung Fascinate has a great processor (1 ghz hummingbird as opposed to the Dinc's 1 ghz snapdragon) and a 4" super AMOLED screen, but touchwiz isn't great, you're locked into using Bing as your default search engine unless you root, and it still runs on Eclair (2.1). There's no timetable for the long overdue Froyo update yet, and if the device even gets Gingerbread, it may not be until Honeycomb is already out.

Last edited:

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Correction on the Fascinste: You can get Google back as search on the fascinate without root. Search "Samsung fascinate Bing" on the android central main page. All it requires is a third party launcher and an apk that the article links to the forum for. My fascinate is not rooted, but it is "de-binged"

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, alright, but they make it really damn hard. Not saying that the Fascinate is a bad device, it's actually a damn good one, but I am saying that it's definitely not worth "upgrading" to the Fascinate from the Dinc.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am interested in this as well, not to second-guess the OP but am trying to figure out when I might be able to upgrade.

He may have more then one line. I have 6 lines on my account and some of are employees of mine that do not get the upgrade their phones every two years but get my hand me downs.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you really want to use your upgrade, figure out which phone still sells for the most on ebay or craigslist and get that one. Sell it to someone else and keep using your Dinc.