Love my Dinc, but having problems..if I have a chance to switch is Droid X next best?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the Dinc and love it, but as you may have seen, caller ID does not consistently work on my phone ( It probably works 80% of the time) I have done all of the troubleshooting available, or at least that I know of. A person can call me from my contacts list and I see caller ID, then the same person can call from the same # 5 minutes later and I only see a phone #

I have spent a few hours on the phone with HTC and VZW support, I have reset the phone 3 times and have gotten a warranty replacement and the issue still occurs.

VZW hinted at maybe changing out the device..

I don't want a new phone, I just want my incredible to be consistent with caller ID.

However, if I am offered a different phone, I want to be prepared. From reading the posts, it seems the Droid X would be a good choice, although I really like HTC and Sense.

Any other strong contenders if one had to change from an incredible to another device on Verizon ??

I didn't see any other VZW phones with 4 stars ( besides the Dinc and Droid X)

Hopefully won't have to go that far and change phones, but I have my doubts that VZW will be able to find the cause of the caller ID issue.

Honestly, would it bother you guys if caller ID worked 80% of the time ? Or am I making this a bigger deal than it is...maybe this is just part of having a smart phone?.

Also, if Gingerbread comes to the Dinc, I wonder if that would fix the problem.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That's strange...is there maybe a problem with your contact list. I would go into my google contacts and check for any duplicates or that everything looks okay.
As far as the DroidX...I have no complaints but its what you like. If they sent you a replacement phone and you still have that problem it must be something with your contacts. You might have to redo the contact list. You're probably going to have the same problem with any phone.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
That's strange...is there maybe a problem with your contact list. I would go into my google contacts and check for any duplicates or that everything looks okay.
As far as the DroidX...I have no complaints but its what you like. If they sent you a replacement phone and you still have that problem it must be something with your contacts. You might have to redo the contact list. You're probably going to have the same problem with any phone.

I think my contacts are ok, I already re-entered them already and uploaded them to an HTC tech who did a scan on them and they were fine.

It is completely random. For example John Doe ( from my google contacts) could call me Monday and Tues and I would be able to see his caller ID. Then, he could call me on Weds (from the same exact phone #) and his name will not show on caller ID, only his phone #.

The other reason I believe this is software related is because it started the day after i accepted the 2.2 OTA update. Before then, absolutely no problems. And, yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled 2.2 twice and no help.

I guess I may just have to live with it, we'll see.

Have you had any issue with the size of the Droid X ?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if Verizon will offer you a replacement other than the model you have. I have had serious issues with BB and have had 5 Bolds. I contacted Retention and they are letting me swap out to another model/mfg. But mine is an issue with the phone that kept it from working properly.

Another thing you can do on your Incredible is you can have special ring tones set for each individual contact as well as a photo. The Incredible is an outstanding device. I am getting mine on WED from retention.

It just might be a glitch and hopefully they can resolve it. I did have an Incredible for a short while and didn't see that issue with it.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if Verizon will offer you a replacement other than the model you have. I have had serious issues with BB and have had 5 Bolds. I contacted Retention and they are letting me swap out to another model/mfg. But mine is an issue with the phone that kept it from working properly.

Another thing you can do on your Incredible is you can have special ring tones set for each individual contact as well as a photo. The Incredible is an outstanding device. I am getting mine on WED from retention.

It just might be a glitch and hopefully they can resolve it. I did have an Incredible for a short while and didn't see that issue with it.

Thanks for the comments. I agree the Incredible is an awesome device.

I don't know if VZW will offer a new device or not, but I have been pretty vocal with them and at this point they may just want me to go away. I have a high $ calling plan and have been a customer for 10 years, etc.

Anyway, I just got back from the VZW store.

For some perspective, I talked with one of the salespeople,
I told the guy that 80-85% of the time caller ID works and 15-20% of the time it doesn't.... he said if that is the only problem I have with the phone, I am in good shape ( his opinion). He said the Incredible is a great device and other phones have their own software issues as well.

I asked which he would choose if he were to switch out... he said the Samsung Fascinate ( I only see the Verizon Fascinate in the forums - same phone ?)

I think the Droid X might be too big for my taste and he said it has its own software bugs as well.

So, my plan is to give it 4-5 days of heavy use and if the caller ID is not working just a few times, maybe I am making a bigger deal of this than is necessary....considering that there are bugs I may have to work through with a new device.

On the other hand, if it happens a lot, that isn't acceptable to me.

A couple other tidbits

- VZW guy says Gingerbread clearly is coming to Incredible and probably the droid. Thinks there will be some announcements next Friday along with a possible new device announcement.

I didn't probe any further.

thanks for all the help and comments.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Fascinate and Verizon Fascinate are the same device. However, be aware: I've heard of some GPS issues, and unless you root, you're forced to use Bing as your default search engine instead of Google. Also, there are complaints about the touchwiz interface (not as many as about Motoblur, though).

As for new device: Yes, the successor to the Incredible, the HTC Incredible HD/Mecha/Thunderbolt (the three names we've heard for the device) is expected to launch soon. We're not sure about specs (the only spec list that has been released is pure fantasy in most peoples' opinion), but it will have a 4.3 inch screen, a front facing camera, a kickstand and support for Verizon's LTE (4G) network. We'll find out more at the CES this week.

I've run into the caller ID issue only a few times, and that was just with calls that came in through call waiting. Some people seem to think it's an issue with City ID, which you can disable if you root the phone.

And yes, Gingerbread and the new version of HTC Sense are probably coming to the Dinc sometime in the next few months.

Edit: Another disadvantage to the Fascinate: I don't believe it has Froyo yet, and if it sees an upgrade to Gingerbread, it'll probably be long overdue (correct me if I'm wrong about the Froyo thing).

Last edited:

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Fascinate and Verizon Fascinate are the same device. However, be aware: I've heard of some GPS issues, and unless you root, you're forced to use Bing as your default search engine instead of Google. Also, there are complaints about the touchwiz interface (not as many as about Motoblur, though).

As for new device: Yes, the successor to the Incredible, the HTC Incredible HD/Mecha/Thunderbolt (the three names we've heard for the device) is expected to launch soon. We're not sure about specs (the only spec list that has been released is pure fantasy in most peoples' opinion), but it will have a 4.3 inch screen, a front facing camera, a kickstand and support for Verizon's LTE (4G) network. We'll find out more at the CES this week.

I've run into the caller ID issue only a few times, and that was just with calls that came in through call waiting. Some people seem to think it's an issue with City ID, which you can disable if you root the phone.

And yes, Gingerbread and the new version of HTC Sense are probably coming to the Dinc sometime in the next few months.

Edit: Another disadvantage to the Fascinate: I don't believe it has Froyo yet, and if it sees an upgrade to Gingerbread, it'll probably be long overdue (correct me if I'm wrong about the Froyo thing).

Good points. Not sure about Gingerbread on the fascinate.

However, Verizon guy did say ( as you mentioned) that there are GPS issues on the Fascinate.

I think I will just put up with the caller ID issue, as long is it doesn't become more frequent. I guess there are going to be software issue with any of the phones.

Verizon says they only get about 1 week lead time before a new device drops. The smartphone world moves incredibly fast.

One tip that a VZW rep offered regarding caller ID is to take a look at the apps that want access to the contacts and try uninstalling those, to see if the issue improves. I will try it and report back if it helps.

thanks for the help :)

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Have you had any issue with the size of the Droid X ?

Not at all. When the phone was first released I thought it was ridiculously huge and actually made fun of it. Now .....I would never buy a phone with a smaller screen then the DX. After a few days of using it, it feels small. I think its the perfect size for viewing web pages and basically viewing anything on the phone.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
As for a replacement phone. Verizon has no choice but to give you a different model. You may have to return a few incredibles and argue with some reps but they will do it.
My wife did it with Sprint after returning 5 phones all with the same problem and lots of complaining but they upgraded her to a newer model for an extra $30.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion you would be taking a step down if you got the Fascinate over your Incredible. Personally, and having had a couple of Samsung products, HTC is far superior to that of Samsung. Read reviews, compare them. Hands down, the Incredible beats the Fascinate.

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I got just one question about this. Who gives a crap? Really? I mean, if my phone didn't give me a picture of the guy calling me just 20% of the time I wouldn't care less. I certainly wouldn't give up all the great things the Dinc offers just because I can't see John Smith's freaking picture every 6th time he calls me....

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Stop trolling, please, and making false assumptions. It actually is an issue, since you also can't see the name of the person calling, just their number. I, and most people, wouldn't know who the person is just by the number unless that person is a very close friend or a family member. It's not just about seeing the person's picture.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I got just one question about this. Who gives a crap? Really? I mean, if my phone didn't give me a picture of the guy calling me just 20% of the time I wouldn't care less. I certainly wouldn't give up all the great things the Dinc offers just because I can't see John Smith's freaking picture every 6th time he calls me....

Well, because I have a job and I am a professional who gets calls from all over the country, it is an issue.

I don't recall ever mentioning anything about seeing a picture.

Last edited:

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Stop trolling, please, and making false assumptions. It actually is an issue, since you also can't see the name of the person calling, just their number. I, and most people, wouldn't know who the person is just by the number unless that person is a very close friend or a family member. It's not just about seeing the person's picture.

thank you - the other guy is probably some college kid who has 25 contacts. I have 175.
Also, "majin...." read the post fully before commenting. Very few of my contacts have pictures, I don't need pictures, that's not the issue.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My opinion only. Droid X is a good bit superior. Screen size, A8, hdmi, and many other reasons. I hate this vs that, so childish eh? Just get what makes you happy. Wether it be this or that.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
My opinion only. Droid X is a good bit superior. Screen size, A8, hdmi, and many other reasons. I hate this vs that, so childish eh? Just get what makes you happy. Wether it be this or that.

Thanks man, yeah it's either the Incredible or Droid X for me. But really, aren't they all great phones...it just comes down to personal preference, I guess.

thanks !

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Have you considered rooting and removing city id to see if that fixes your issue. I have been rooted for awhile and can't recall the caller id not working. I know rooting isn't for everyone but thought I would mention it. As long as you switch to a Android phone you should be happy.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk