Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Default Getting frustrated with my Inc

Came from a BB Storm to the Inc and life for the first few months was grand. Had no problems at all with the Inc.

Then starting in Nov starting having random reboots. Some of these would include 3-4 reboots in a series (as soon as it came up would panic again).

Several times had to do a Factory reset to get in working order again (total corruption, all apps doing Force Close at startup). Sometimes would appear to be heat related. Phone would work fine for awhile with heavy use, then would start resetting.

Verizon agreed to replace the phone. Setup new one, and after about 4 days started having the same problem. Multiple resets at a time, even after doing a Factory reset would continue to reset itself.

Each time could get it to stop by pulling the battery for about 30 minutes.

The last time was setup all stock except for App brain, Maps and Gmail updates. Could use Maps for a bit then would get in a reset loop. Pull battery for awhile, then would work for awhile again.

Since Verizon gives out refurbs on the warranty exchange, I'm guessing someone returned this one for the same reason I returned mine. Verizon QC is not catching the problem before they send it out again.

Off to Verizon again. This is a work phone so I need it to work reliably.

end of rant.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,384 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Sorry to hear your problems and it sounds like you possible have gotten a couple of lemons. I have not had any of your problems and haven't seen any issues on this forum beside yours so hopefully 3 times is a charm.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Thanks. I have watched the boards here a lot to try and find someone else that is having the same problem.

Proved again today by scrolling around the country with Maps. After about 5 minutes it crashed. Second time after about 3 minutes. Third time after about 1 minute. After it came up again crashed immediately on boot 2 times.

Pulled the battery for 20 minutes. Booted back up and is stable.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I started seeing frequent random reboots just after installing Swype. After uninstalling it and clearing some cache items it got stable again. Are you using Swype? I'm curious because I know a good number of folks here use it and love it, but it gave my phone hartburn.

What apps have you installed recently? You might want to try unloading some recent apps one at a time and see what hapens.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Problems initially started w/o swype. I did have swype in the middle of this mess.

After the last couple of Factory Resets, I only installed App Brain, Maps and Gmail update.

Try this.. Do another reset preferable a full reset of the device. Don't install any app(s) for while. If problem persist then you might want to consider replacing the phone again.

Ps. Try adding one app at a time.. to see if the problem is cause by a specific app. It's not impossible to have the same problem with two or three phones, but very unlikely.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Is the 'Factory Reset' a full reset?

I have just been selecting that from the boot menu (that you get to by holding volume down at power-on).
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,384 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by BBtoDroid View Post
    Is the 'Factory Reset' a full reset?

I have just been selecting that from the boot menu (that you get to by holding volume down at power-on).
    Yes they are the same.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Didn't take long. Did the reset. Activated the phone. Did not sync any accounts.

Went into Maps. 5 minutes of scrolling around and phone panics.

I have the same problem periodically, but mine seems to happen when I'm playing games (Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons mostly) or suring the web. It will reboot and sometimes it's fine afterwards and sometimes it gets into a reboot cycle that only pulling the battery and leaving it out for a few minutes will fix (when it's stuck in the reboot cycle just pulling the battery and replacing after 15-20 seconds isn't enough and it will just continue the cycle once the battery is back in).

It's pretty frustrating. One thing I have noticed is that my battery seemed like it was fitting in a little crookedly, so I put a small piece of paper in the upper left corner to make the contacts fit against each other more snugly and it hasn't happened since then, but I haven't been using my phone much in the last 2-3 days either, so I don't know if that is making a difference or not.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by laurel25 View Post
    I have the same problem periodically, but mine seems to happen when I'm playing games (Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons mostly) or suring the web. It will reboot and sometimes it's fine afterwards and sometimes it gets into a reboot cycle that only pulling the battery and leaving it out for a few minutes will fix (when it's stuck in the reboot cycle just pulling the battery and replacing after 15-20 seconds isn't enough and it will just continue the cycle once the battery is back in).
    Sounds VERY similar to mine. Fast battery pull won't stop it when it is in the reboot loop. Takes time for it to cool down before it will stabilize.

I bet if after your 1st reboot if you go into the game again it will reboot soon.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

went into the local corporate store. they called support after I demo'd the panic 3 times. They did a few things and it did it 2 more times.

Then they did another reset/clear. Made it reset 5 more times. Have a new phone coming (#3).

(did the same steps on the reps phone in the store. No problems)

I had the same problems with my first Dinc. Click on my name to access some of my posts about the problem.

VZW support technician told me the only time that he has seen this happen is when the phone has become wet. I am very careful with my phone; the technician didn't accuse me of anything and he offered to replace the phone without any questions.

I received my replacement phone about a month ago; it's a refurbished unit. It's been fairly stable; however, it has spontaneously rebooted without warning a few times. I'm trying to determine the cause. But when it reboots it does so just once--no endless looping.

and I had serious BB issues. Hope you can get your issues resolved with your INC and I hope not to have any problems with mine !

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

@BBtoDroid - At any point have you tried a new or different battery?

It almost sounds like the battery is getting hot and shorting out.

Tony BOD had a run of 3 - 4 replacement phones before they sent him a new battery and it fixed his problem.

Might be worth trying a new battery.
    Last edited by PvilleComp; 01-05-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

In the store I switched batteries with the cs rep. He used my battery in his inc and did the same test (scrolling around maps).

I used his battery in my phone. Still failed. (his phone with my battery worked fine).

Global Posts
    1,297 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Since the issue always arises while you are in maps, I am willing to bet it is your GPS chips. These chips run incredibly hot with heavy use. Odds are the chip is overheating and causing the phone to reboot. Either way, sounds like it is time to exchange it.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Got the new phone today. Working well except for the camera.

Objects that are < 1' away are in focus. Everything else is blurry. (auto focus is selected).

Maybe 4th phone will actually work?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

So 4th phone reboots after about 10 minutes of using google maps on the freeway (zoomed in so constantly updating).

Continued to reboot itself until pulled the battery for 10 minutes.

Getting tired of this....

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

Is there just horrible GPS reception in your area? I've used my girlfriend's DInc for GPS on a trip from Seattle to Portland (wanted to watch traffic), plugged in and never had any trouble.

ROM
    stock

There's no way that 4 phones all do the exact same thing. Try using a different memory card, one that doesn't have any Android data. My guess is that your memory card has some bad Maps data stored on it... Try using a brand new one if you can, one with nothing on it. Pop it in and scroll around in Maps and let us know..

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Insert Coin 5.5

Apparently his all DID. And yes itCAN happen. Just because you havent seen it doesnt mean it didnt happen...
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

I have made it fail w/o a SD card even installed. Also, once it gets in the reboot loop, the battery must be pulled for at least 10 minutes (a quick pull is not enough). Sounds like heat to me.

Since these are all refurbs, they were all returned for some reason. Verizon is obviously not checking them very well before sending them back out (the camera in the 3rd phone didn't work).

For the first few months my first phone worked great. Used GPS for hours on end with no problems. Then it started going down hill.

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

I agree that it should probably be worded "seems unlikely" that 4 would have the same problem. Trying the new microSD card sounds like a good idea since it probably is the same card. He could try turning off GPS for awhile since that is what seems to trigger it. Another may be to consider rooting and trying a different ROM (although I know it may not be great for warranty purposes). Mine has been running very well with Skyraider 3.5 but I know that's not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BBtoDroid View Post
    I have made it fail w/o a SD card even installed. Also, once it gets in the reboot loop, the battery must be pulled for at least 10 minutes (a quick pull is not enough). Sounds like heat to me.

Since these are all refurbs, they were all returned for some reason. Verizon is obviously not checking them very well before sending them back out (the camera in the 3rd phone didn't work).

For the first few months my first phone worked great. Used GPS for hours on end with no problems. Then it started going down hill.
    I had a similar experience--GPS worked great for a few months...but then rebooted every time I used it. The VZW tech told me that he had seen this happen when the phone got wet. That was a non-issue for me...unless dampness or humidity was a contributing factor. Anyway, the GPS in the replacement (just my second device, albeit a refurb) is working fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast