Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: How change the default contact type from "Phone" to "Google"?

go to View and uncheck phone and sim.

default will now be google

I had this problem after the 4.2.1 update.. contacts I created on the phone did not update to gmail because it was they were stored on the phone.. You need to to to contacts, then hit Menu/Contacts to Display then select your gmail account. Now when you create a contact it defaults to Gmail..

I tried all tips on my HTC ONE X ATT and it only defaults to STORE TO PHONE no matter what I do. Anyone know if it will be fixed in next version of HTC SENSE that comes out with the JELLY BEAN sandwich update? (For HTC ONE X any day now?)

Have not found a way to change the default; however, here are three suggestions (2 were already posted)
    1. Enter contact into google contact on computer and let it sync to phone.
    2. Discipline yourself to select gmail account when add a contact on phone
    3. To "move" contact to google contact an use steps below. The process is long, but is a way to transfer contacts digital.
    b. Select Phonebook at top of screen.
    c. Uncheck all options except phone
    d. Open a contact that you wish to save.
    e. Press Menu then Send Contact. Follow the prompts to send to your gmail account.
    f. In Gmail open the email and Import Into Contacts.

Having same problem on my touch 4g as other users mentioned. The only way around to this problem is an app called Go Contacts. While adding a new number this app will ask in which account we would like to store instead of default "phone". Make this app as default for storing contacts and problem is solved. Hope this helps! :-)

I finally figured out how to switch default "save contact" from phone to my gmail account. I have a Note2 with the latest android
    Go to
    1) settings
    2) Application Manager
    3) all
    4) scroll down to Phone
    5) Clear Defaults
    exit, exit, exit
    I rebooted... not sure if that was nessasary

now.... when I save a number from dialer or otherwise
    1) add to contacts
    2) Create contact
    3) now I have a drop down menu (which I didn't have before... only phone) I can pick my gmail account where to save the contact
    4) type in info and save
    it is now in my gmail contacts

by removing phone defaults I now have that choice again between "phone" and "Skype" when I am trying to call someone. If I select phone and "always" it will not effect my saving default....

Hope this help... jon
    mositek likes this.

I have a Galaxy Nexus but had the same problem with the wrong Default contact type on a new contact. I went to Settings>Apps>All Apps>Contacts (not contact storage) and cleared the data. This then prompted me to re select the default location when I tried to add a new contact.
    Thanked by:

Not sure if you got an answer. But I had the same problem and I've solved it.

1. Go to Contacts, then Display Options. De-select all options except Google account (under "Choose contacts to display").

2. Enter a new contact, choose Google under "Contact Type". Save contact.

3. Re-boot Phone.

Voila! This should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    I finally figured out how to switch default "save contact" from phone to my gmail account. I have a Note2 with the latest android
    Go to
    1) settings
    2) Application Manager
    3) all
    4) scroll down to Phone
    5) Clear Defaults
    exit, exit, exit
    I rebooted... not sure if that was nessasary

now.... when I save a number from dialer or otherwise
    1) add to contacts
    2) Create contact
    3) now I have a drop down menu (which I didn't have before... only phone) I can pick my gmail account where to save the contact
    4) type in info and save
    it is now in my gmail contacts

by removing phone defaults I now have that choice again between "phone" and "Skype" when I am trying to call someone. If I select phone and "always" it will not effect my saving default....

Hope this help... jon
    I have a Galaxy S4 and instead of selecting "Phone" in the list of apps I selected "Contacts" and then cleared defaults

I finally figured out how to switch default "save contact" from phone to my gmail account. (Take back up of your contacts before doing anything)
    I have S3 and Note 2 with the latest android
    Go to
    1) settings
    2) Application Manager
    3) all
    4) scroll down to contacts
    5) Clear data
    exit, exit, exit
    Now go to contacts ....
    Add new contact you ll get 3 options.
    Select gmail ie google contact.Now when you want to add new contact it ll be stored automatically to google contact ie gmail contact.
    Last edited by Dr Pooja; 07-18-2013 at 10:19 PM.

I finally figured out how to switch default "save contact" from phone to my gmail account.(Take back up of your contacts before doing anything)
    I have S3 and Note 2 with the latest android
    Go to
    1) settings
    2) Application Manager
    3) all
    4) scroll down to contacts
    5) Clear data
    exit, exit, exit
    Now go to contacts ....
    Add new contact you ll get 3 options.
    Select gmail ie google contact.Now when you want to add new contact it ll be stored automatically to google contact ie gmail contact.

Thumbs up Re: How change the default contact type from "Phone" to "Google"?

thx

Oh thanks a lot, clearing data for contacts app and then creatingnew contact with google type makedit as default storage option in samsun galaxy 4!

Problem:
    Contacts typed on phone do not go to computer gmail contacts.
    Contacts typed on computer gmail contacts go to android.

Solution.
    First, here is a sensible work process that I use.

My work process.
    I want my contacts to be stored in my main gmail accounts.
    (The solution will work if instead gmail you use other provider.)
    That is to say, as soon as I type my new contact, it will go
    into gmail contact list.
    Here is how to achieve that.
    On Android do:
    main | phone | contacts | +new contact | just UNDER the new contact
    there is little triangle that if you touch that, it will be menu
    allowing to select who will be hosting your contacts | I select gmail.
    This way it will configure that any new contacts will be stored in gmail contacts.
    Then to see the right thing (only gmail contacts), do:
    main | phone | contacts | menu | contacts to display choose gmail only.

Disclaimer:
    If you want to use SIM to store some contacts and gmail to store other
    contacts my solution is not applicable.
    If you will use my work process, my solution works.
    Note to Android designers of phone app, the triangle is a BAD idea, it should
    be under menu option.

That was very helpful and your step by step guideline extremely clear. Thx for that!

hello all dears
    I have problem in my gmail contacts that when I save any i dont find it in "My contact", I find it in "Other contact"
    my phone Samsung Galaxy with android 2.3.6

Hopefully I can get some help

Hi all,
    please let me announce this app that makes exactly this work: move contacts on device to one of your GMAIL accounts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e.phone2google

Best regards
    Ale

Thanks for the option BUT it does not work.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

I have a solution - get a Moto X. My Moto X doesn't even have an Contact Type option of Phone. Adding a new contact defaults to Google. I thought all Android phones did this. However, I came across this when my wife just moved from an HTC One X to an LG G2. Neither of those phones has the option to set the default Contact Type for a new contact, and the default is Phone. What a major pain. When transferring contacts to the new phone, I thought no problem, just sync Google contacts, piece of cake, but all of the contacts didn't sync. She didn't realize that every new contact she added in her One X was being added to the phone only and not syncing to Google contacts. At least the One X has a built in solution under Phone Settings, Manage Contacts, you can copy from one account to another. Who designs these feeble contact apps where you can't change the default settings? Ridiculous!

3 years later and I have this same problem as the original poster. When adding new contacts the default contact type is set to "Phone" and I want to change it to "Google". I have scoured the internet for every possible solution. The one commonly recommended fix is to uncheck the other contact types in the drop down when viewing the list of People, so only "Google" is displayed. I tried that, but I still get "Phone" as the default when adding a new contact. I tried restarting the phone after modifying the drop down fields, but it didn't change anything. I am about to pull my hair out.

I have an HTC One M8. Android version 4.4.2. HTC Sense version 6.0. Software number 1.55.605.2. Verizon service.

Please let me know if you know of any fix!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12