can i have 2 live bluetooth devices at the same time?

shmengie#AC

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
hi there:

i'm currently rooted and running cm 6.1 stable, radio 2.15.00.07.28. i currently connect via bluetooth to my pioneer nav unit for the phone. i'm thinking of getting the torque app and this bluetooth dongle (or maybe a cheaper one. i haven't decided).

obviously, don't want to disconnect my phone to use this. so, my question - stated so eloquently in the title - stands: can i connect to 2 bluetooth devices simultaneously?

thx!

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to pair several devices. I've had my laptop and headset paired and actively in use. It depends a lot on the hardware

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the Bluetooth device.... but usually you can add multiple devices but only be paired to one at a time. I can add up to 8 devices to my Bluetooth but it will only pair with one at a time.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
+1 to what Cyber Warrior said. Correct me if I'm wrong but I also think this is a limitation of Bluetooth 2.1, I think I read somewhere this will change with 3.0

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Here are the real facts:
Virtually any Bluetooth (BT) headset can be paired to multiple devices. Pairing means that the headset and the device recognize each other and have the capability to make a connection. However the vast majority of BT headsets can only be connected to one paired device at a time.

The only exception are headsets that have the Multipoint feature. These allow you to connect to 2 devices simultaneously. The only devices that I am aware of (and I am pretty well informed...) that have Multipoint are the Jabra BT8010, Jabra JX-10 Series II, Jabra BT5010 and Jabra BT5020. The Plantronics Voyager 510 uses Multipoint, but the 2nd device is their landline hub. The Jabra BT5020 is a behind-the-ear model and essentially the replacement of the BT250v, so you should take a look at that.

This is from an old post. The info is relevant but the device models have been updated to newer versions.

Reactions: Chris Kerrigan

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Tons of BTs now have multi-point, not just the ones Cyber Warrior mentioned- as he said, it was an old post. For example, I'm pretty sure every Jawbone has multi-point. Even some of the entry-level headsets are being equipped with it nowadays..

CRKhead

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Multipoint is why I got the Jawbone Icon, so I can connect to work and personal phones at the same time.

Anyway, back to the original question... I've had my Bluetooth earpiece connected and sent some files to a friend via Bluetooth at the same time before, so I don't see why the phone couldn't handle two simultaneous connections... Unless the earpiece went into standby until the transfer was complete...

bishwo370

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
well I have just tested my 2 bluetooh head set one is st-99 chinese brand and another is also chinese brand xtm-1200
I have used several bluetooth softwares, including windows own bluetooth software itself. at first I started believing that two bluetooh device cannot be used specially headphone which need continious connection.
that's why I bought one small bluetooh dongle thinking that my one in laptop is not enough to connect 2 headset. but later I found it was a software which is stopping me from doing this.
I used the software named bluesoleil version 6 and cracked it by getting some crack site. I completele disconnect both the dongle one in laptop inbuilt and another is usb dongle. then I installed bluesoleil 6 and cracked it then I restarted pc and used bluesoleil and connected my usb dongle i didn't started my inbuild bluetooth dongle. now only by using usb dongle both can be connected through bluesoleil I am surprised it connected and worked both of them simultaneously.

IlyaMakaroff

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, This thread was very useful, I looked into it, and tested few variations myself. Reason I was looking into it as well is that I like use my headset to listen to whatever my computer plays, however, whenever i head out i wish to use it with my phone, and i got tired of manually disconnecting it from computer so phone can connect to it. So, how it really works:

Firstly, understand that pairing and connecting is not a same thing. Pairing is pretty much a saved preset setting whenever devices can recognize each other by their BT ID and allow each other to connect to each other and use PROTOCOLS they are capable of using. Can BT devices multiconnect - yes. Can new connection demand PROTOCOL ( or SERVICE if you prefer ) which is in use by already connected device - no. So, if you want to connect it to two phones to use as BT phone headset at same time - no, BUT, if you'd play with setting and on one phone you will have only Audio Headset service enabled, and another will phone will know this device to have only Headset service - they'll work fine. First one will play music only and won't answer calls for example, and another will use this BT headset as phone headset. It can actually play audio with it too, but it will be crappy quality. And, they wont play at same time neither since they use same physical resource ( speakers in a headset ). As for my original case - it was even easier, since I just wanna use BT to listen to computer audio, i just chose it to have Audiosink service available only. So, whenever phone connects to it, it will reserve audioheadset, telephony and remote control. They are connected together now :). Use of shared physical resource ( speakers ) is switched between services requiring it ( audiosink, telephony etc) in an order of FIFO ( first-in-first-out)

Hope it helped, Cheers

heavychevy 427

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok, This thread was very useful, I looked into it, and tested few variations myself. Reason I was looking into it as well is that I like use my headset to listen to whatever my computer plays, however, whenever i head out i wish to use it with my phone, and i got tired of manually disconnecting it from computer so phone can connect to it. So, how it really works:

Firstly, understand that pairing and connecting is not a same thing. Pairing is pretty much a saved preset setting whenever devices can recognize each other by their BT ID and allow each other to connect to each other and use PROTOCOLS they are capable of using. Can BT devices multiconnect - yes. Can new connection demand PROTOCOL ( or SERVICE if you prefer ) which is in use by already connected device - no. So, if you want to connect it to two phones to use as BT phone headset at same time - no, BUT, if you'd play with setting and on one phone you will have only Audio Headset service enabled, and another will phone will know this device to have only Headset service - they'll work fine. First one will play music only and won't answer calls for example, and another will use this BT headset as phone headset. It can actually play audio with it too, but it will be crappy quality. And, they wont play at same time neither since they use same physical resource ( speakers in a headset ). As for my original case - it was even easier, since I just wanna use BT to listen to computer audio, i just chose it to have Audiosink service available only. So, whenever phone connects to it, it will reserve audioheadset, telephony and remote control. They are connected together now :). Use of shared physical resource ( speakers ) is switched between services requiring it ( audiosink, telephony etc) in an order of FIFO ( first-in-first-out)

Hope it helped, Cheers

I am interested in purchasing a couple of sound bars for my home I'm wondering if it's possible for me to connect to two separate sound bars in adjacent rooms at the same time to play audio through multiple systems.

Any thoughts?

redmugen

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar doubt, can the bluetooth standart stream from one source to multiple ends? Let say i want to stream the music in my phone to two or more bluetooth speakers, can it be done?