Netflix?

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Netflix will be released on phones this year, but it will be on a per-device basis, like Blockbuster, due to DRM restrictions and licensing and all that lovely crap. No general Android app that all phones can use. Unless some genius developer figures out a way to do it, ala Hulu.

SR1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
No updates AFAIK, but I'm sure the Incredible will be one of the first phones to get the app since it is still arguably one of the best Android phones out there

6s1d9

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
That's SOOOO WEAK! I can watch a "blacked out" NFL game on my DInc, view any website that requires flash yet I can't watch a Netflix movie but an ifail can???? What the heck!

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Netflix probably still has a long way to go to get the app working. And remember, they have to please their content providers with DRM and whatnot.

Matt Algren

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Netflix probably still has a long way to go to get the app working. And remember, they have to please their content providers with DRM and whatnot.
I think I remember seeing in the last news piece about a Netflix app that they expected to release it in Q1 this year. Hope so. That would be great.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
That's SOOOO WEAK! I can watch a "blacked out" NFL game on my DInc, view any website that requires flash yet I can't watch a Netflix movie but an ifail can???? What the heck!

That's one of the advantages of having a locked-down OS, and having the exact same version run on all of your products.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Haha no there isn't an app for that.. Well actually there probably is lol. But he's talking about watching from a site that's streaming the game. Using flash. Cuz, you know, us Android users don't need an app for that :D

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Again, Blockbuster has a streaming app, correct?! Am I mistaken? They have the same DRM/rights holder issues, presumably, but have had streaming for months now.

Am I wrong? If I am not wrong, then why does Netflix get such a pass? I love Netflix, but I think the real problem is they put all their resources into iOS and noticed Android late in the game. They were fixated on being mentioned on stage by 'ol Steve. Sure, Android may have a few more technical hurdles than iOS, but I again bring up Blockbuster.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Blockbuster's app is only on licensed devices, same as Netflix's will be. And if you were in Netflix's place a year ago, you woulda done the same thing.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Blockbuster's app is only on licensed devices, same as Netflix's will be. And if you were in Netflix's place a year ago, you woulda done the same thing.

That's all true and my point still stands. My point being that Netflix prioritized iOS over Android (I agree that that was not bad business, but better business would have been to do them both). My problem is that they now complain that implementing DRM is the hold up. The hold up is that they only recently started development (if you go by the Android job postings by Netflix).

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok but back then Android was nowhere near the level of success that it has now. They started thinking and talking about iOS deployment in 2009- Android didn't really start taking off until early 2010.