Software update on DINC? Now force close issues

trafficguy00

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Noticed on my phone this morning that I apparently got a new software version on my droid incredible (there was a message on my phone when I booted it up, but i was in too much of a hurry to use it to pay much attention to it). Battery was dead though. Worried that might have been an issue because now I am getting all sorts of force close errors and my phone won't run many of my apps. SW number shows as 3.26.605.1, build number 3.26.605.1 (obviously still android 2.2).

Anyone else noticing problems? Should I do a hard reset?

Thanks for any help.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused - there hasn't been a software update since November, so you shouldn't be getting any OTA updates (unless they're sneaking the SMS bug fix on us). I haven't noticed an update recently, but then again I've been rooted since unrevoked cracked the November OTA.

However, never apply updates with a low battery. The phone does not charge when it's in recovery, and therefore will not charge while updating the firmware. I thought there was some sort of filter to prevent phones with less than 25% or so battery from accepting updates...

Anyway, your only option is probably to do a factory reset. Failing that, take it to a Verizon store (unroot first if you're rooted) and they should give you a replacement.

trafficguy00

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I was confused as well, but I swear it said my phone had received an update. Wish I would have paid more attention to the message. Does my sw version match other DINC owners out there?

Not rooted.

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Are you sure it just wasn't an update for one of your apparently from the market? That software version is the same one I have, and I'm using the OTA update that came out back in November.

(Posted from my HTC Droid Incredible)

trafficguy00

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure it just wasn't an update for one of your apparently from the market? That software version is the same one I have, and I'm using the OTA update that came out back in November.

(Posted from my HTC Droid Incredible)

You are probably right. Sure wish I knew what it was as it has really messed up my phone. Tried power cycle several times and same problems. Will probably factory reset.

Thanks all for the feedback and help.

daveyabe

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Saaaaaame thing here, this 3.26 update also wiped out my phonebook, bookmarks. Other things are still there like my texts....weird. Must have affected a lot of people...

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. All contacts were deleted, most apps were deleted, but the ones that weren't all force close. Only thing I can do is text and talk. Seems primal almost :)

I went to VZ this morning and they tried to tell me to do a factory reset, but this is the second time I have had to do this for my phone so I am making them send me a replacement. Love the INC, but if it happens again I'm going to swith models (maybe the Thunderbolt when its out). I need something reliable, not something that crashes on me every few months.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's a refurb right? Also, does it have a different screen, like Super AMOLED or something? Also, before I swap out untis, how do I get all my personal info off it?

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what update you got, but when ever there's been a update issued to the operating system I install the update then do a factory reset and that wipes every thing out.

That way every thing is clean with the new update installed.

Make sure you back every thing up before doing a factory reset.

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Here's what happened. I was on a phone call. After it ended, I hung up and the screen immediatly went white. So I waited, then it just rebooted itself and said Update complete at which point I notived nothing on my phone worked.

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Not rooted. The only thing I have done thats even remotely close to rooting is changing my ringtone and wallpaper. Not tech savvy enough for all that. :)

bigk

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Wait, was it a white screen that had green HTC letters on it?

From what i have heard is that, that will pop up randomly if a widget on the home screen crashes. I believe the white screen is busy repairing the widget.

AndroidJunkie

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes, this is real (@kstoutdog)

My dInc auto updated today to 3.26.605.1, and i've experienced the same things: most contacts are gone, a ton of apps are missing, and ive got over 50 dead shortcuts on my homepages or in folders on the homepages. and most apps that still exist won't work, and force close. the phone is not rooted

i tend to make shortcuts for all apps, and im happy i did, since theres no way of knowing what magically disappeared (other than the dead shortcuts). now it looks like the only thing i can do is backup the data and do a full reset. ..but then is this OTA now part of the full reset? or will it update again after i fix everything, and then it updates and breaks my phone again??

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
AndroidJunkie - I called and went to Verizon, they said to do a factory reset and if that doesn't work then they will swap the phone out. I did the reset and it didn't work so they swapped it out. Wish they hadn't as something is now wrong with the new phone. The screen is light pink instead of white and it's not as bright either. Annoying but I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing the phone all over again.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I had two update notifications today. They were for Facebook and the My Verizon nothing else. I am thinking these were the updates you are talking about. Nothing about the OS

AndroidJunkie

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Jude526 - this wasn't an app update notification. when i unlocked my phone a "system software update" window was right on top:
"Congratulations!
Your phone has been updated
successfully to version
3.26.605.1"

sumner929 - I informed Verizon about the update/issue through an email, and they called me soon after for more info, etc. they weren't sure why it auto updated, since it's supposed to notify you that you have an update available. i was able to do a factory reset successfully though it took all night getting my phone setup basically how i had it. Only issue I'm having now is that there's a couple games that I bought that aren't showing up as purchased. So I'm in the process of resolving that.