Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New Poster with a Few General Questions

Hey, I'm new here, but this site seems like it has some good posters and info on it, so I thought I'd ask a few questions about my HTC Incredible.

First of all, why does my battery drain so quickly? I have location off, I don't use haptic feedback, I have my screen brightness set to a low level, and I use Advanced Task Killer, yet my battery never seems to last throughout the day. Any suggestions?

Also, I have a problem with "shaky" and/or "blurry" pictures. I can never really seem to get a crisp image. Is there a remedy for this issue?

I tried to download Swype texting, but I kept getting notifications that "this version of Swype is not compatible with your device." What's up with that?

What are some apps that you guys recommend? I've had this phone for almost a month and all that I really have installed are some games, Facebook, Twitter, and Pandora.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DucksandBraves; 01-23-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

Get rid of Advanced Task Killer....you don't need it. As for your battery it might just be that the phone is new and you're spending a lot of time setting things up. Same happened to me the first four days of owning my phone. You can also try changing the update intervals on the widgets so they're not updating that often. For pictures try a different setting. Use the motion setting for moving objects.
    As for the rest... read through the forums or I'm sure someone else will add to this. Welcome to AC...

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Change too often.

I found the battery life to be horrible, but I am a 'heavy' user. There are ways to conserve battery as cyberwarrior said above. I ended up just getting an extended battery so I don't have to worry about it anymore and I can use the phone without tweaking it for battery life....I highly recommend one.

Check out the apps section in the forum and there are tons of recommendations. I just check appbrain daily and see what is hot that day and try what looks interesting.

Cruise the forums and just start reading...before you know it you'll be answering other people's questions.
    Semper Fi; Go Bears; Go Gators

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

Make sure your using wifi when you can it saves battery life. To save life the majority of people are going to tell you to root. You can or you can buy a extended battery. Right now i am rooted with an extended i am on a day with 56% left on the battery. The seidio 1750 battery. For the apps just look at the top ones and play around with em!

Global Posts
    3,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly

2nd on getting rid of all Task Killers as well as getting the Seidio 1750mAh extended battery along with the Seidio External charger.

Welcome to AC. Lots of info here just need to take the time to search and read through the forums. The Inc has been out for awhile now so many questions you may have have been asked and answered already.

Have Fun!!!!
    HTC DROID INCREDIBLE RETIRED
    GALAXY NEXUS TIME!!!!!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

How much would an extended battery cost me?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by GooTz66 View Post
    2nd on getting rid of all Task Killers as well as getting the Seidio 1750mAh extended battery along with the Seidio External charger.

Welcome to AC. Lots of info here just need to take the time to search and read through the forums. The Inc has been out for awhile now so many questions you may have have been asked and answered already.

Have Fun!!!!
    Out of curiosity, why do you recommend ditching the task killer?

(Fear the Beard!)

Global Posts
    3,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly

Quote Originally Posted by DucksandBraves View Post
    How much would an extended battery cost me?
    Around $50 got both Seidio 1750mAh and external charger off Amazon and it was cheaper than through Seidio directly. Could also try eBay.
    GALAXY NEXUS TIME!!!!!

Global Posts
    3,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly

(Fear the Beard!)
    Android manages apps and resources on its own and does a good job at it. Some apps need to be running for other apps to use it. i.e. Killing certain apps may affect other apps or cause issues and do more harm than good. There are many threads on task killer, just do a quick search.

Also the Cyanogen team will reject any bug report if they know you are using a task killer.
    GALAXY NEXUS TIME!!!!!

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Change too often.

(Fear the Beard!)
    The phone (android os) will manage apps and deal with them as needed. If you don't setup a task killer perfectly you could end up with it killing processes that should be running. It is a big debate here in the forums, but you will find most users who know what they are talking about stay away from them. If I remember correctly there are a couple of threads going through the pros and cons in detail.
    Semper Fi; Go Bears; Go Gators
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by GooTz66 View Post
    Android manages apps and resources on its own and does a good job at it. Some apps need to be running for other apps to use it. i.e. Killing certain apps may affect other apps or cause issues and do more harm than good. There are many threads on task killer, just do a quick search.

Also the Cyanogen team will reject any bug report if they know you are using a task killer.
    Alright, thanks.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Sorry to bump, but do any of you know what the issue with Swype could be?

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

I would try re-downloading it from scratch. Delete the apk you already downloaded and re-download/install from the link they sent you in the e-mail.

I had swype installed for a few days, but it was not for me so I uninstalled it.

Hope this helps.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted)

By any chance are you using an copy of Swype supplied by someone other than Swype? They have a verification system that won't allow it to run if it not on the same device it was initially installed on.

If by chance you are using a legit copy of Swype, I'd suggest uninstalling both it and the updater and downloading the latest updater from Swype (Link should be in the email you got from them) and then continuing on from there.

definitely do not want a task killer. There are things on Android that are very different from Blackberry. It is a very efficient OS. I am quite impressed. I do use my car charger when I am in the car particularly if I am using the google navigation. I get all day use on the battery. The battery does get better with use of the device.
    Congratulations and welcome to the site and forums.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Thanks for all the help, everybody. I'll try reinstalling Swype then report back.

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sideload App Method

i use "task manager" not a task killer and all i use that for is to shut down apps like the web browser that wont close unless you back out of them all the way and my task manager doesnt stay running in the background like most task killers and i do notice a decrease in battery life if i DONT use it
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Well, I re-downloaded Swype and it seems to be working so far.