Huge SD card problems

chrismartel0817

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So I don't know how this happened but as soon as i boot up my phone it thinks that i improperly unmounted my sd card.

I am not sure why this is happening. I rooted my phone and installed skyraider and everything was fine. I then copied a bunch of music everything fine again. I then used ROM manager to create a back up and during that process the phone froze. It seems like that might be the point where things went down hill.

I can boot to recovery and mount via USB to access the contents of the card but if I try to swap the update.zip file to put a new ROM then it hangs.

Any ideas?

Limjelo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Randomly and only as of today. Haven't done anything to my phone either. Seems to have resolved itself though.

S.SubZero#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Ya know, mine did this randomly on Saturday. I was just looking at the home screen when it "lost" the SD card, saying to tap to.. something. It went off the display -.-; I tapped and it remounted the card.

Weird....

chrismartel0817

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have seen a lot of these issues mentioned here and there and it seems to revolve around pics and music. My sdcard is totally corrupted as I can only access it in recovery mode and then if I try to change things it locks up.

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Mine has done the same 3 different times. One was a corrupt music file, read only. Last time it was picsay pro app, from black market.

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Transfer all apps back to phone memory. Put card in your computer. Transfer all music and pix to your computer. Put card back into phone and format. Then swap your music and pix back onto your card from your computer. That is what I did and that worked for me. Great as my dink is I never had this problem with my storm. But I learned to live with it. Good luck to you. I have 3000 songs on my 16gig card. And if It's a corrupt mp3 file it can be stressful to find. In my experience the corrupted file stays on the card after I swap files to by computer. So maybe just put a few mp3's on first and test it out. I'm guessing youll be ok. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Always interested in knowing what will fix it or what caused it. Because I'm sure ill be having this issue again and again and again and again.

chrismartel0817

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I think this issue might be a bit more serious as I cant even mount my phone as a storage device unless I am in recovery mode. Any major action i take like moving files off the card or even formatting it causes explorer to crash on my computer and the phone to freeze.

chrismartel0817

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah thats a good idea. Thanks for the advice. I ordered a 32gb card cause I just got a galaxy tab so I figure I can pop the the 32 in that and then move the 16 to the phone.

thozgyz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
There ya go. Looking to get a 32 for my dink. My 16 has been full for years now. 98% music. Funny some say what do you need that big of card for? Give me a few weeks with a 32 and that will be filled too..

chrismartel0817

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you are looking for a 32 Amazon has pretty good prices on the Sandisk card. It's only a class 2 but depending on your use that might not matter too much.

Martin5

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or is this becoming a common issue with the Incredibles?
Just went through a similar issue a few weeks ago. Lost my ability to mount the phone as a USB device on a PC and the SD Card didn't stay mounted. It ended up being corrupt pictures, deleted them using a PC/cardreader and it worked for a while until the next corrupt file.
I ended up buying a new 8GB SDHC Class 6, copied all the files over and the card remains mounted since. Still can't mount as a USB device though.....
SwiFTP server on the phone has helped keep my pics, files, and music synced to the PC.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
SD cards have a read/write life. Granted it is pretty high, on the order of 100K to 1 M r/w per cell, but then there is the ever favorite Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) statistic. This is usually claimed to be anywhere from 10,000 - 1M r/w's. Just remember this is an average, by definition 50% will not get there.

As always, the $5 32GB MicroSD card made by NonameTech on e-bay may look like a good deal, but quality of manufacturing means a lot. Make sure you get good name brand cards for the best performance.

Last edited:

abtxpress

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Reflashing the kernel fixes this most of the time.

Thats for the mounting issue, not the corruption problem.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar