Firmware fix for battery?

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the bad (or rather, unlinked...) link - fixed it in the original post! Still interested in people's thoughts, of course.

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Not likely we'll see a fix like this since the TBolt issues seem to be related to excessive drain by the LTE Radio. The DInc's main problem with battery life is that it shipped with a really whimpy battery! Unfortunate but true.

riot1002#AC

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
it sucks we have to pay for a extended battery.but it is what it is and it fixes the problem.everything else about my incredible is great.to me this is the best phone money can buy.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
What prompts my post is that there appear to be no shortage of alternative ROMS/Kernals/etc. for this phone that dramatically, I'm told, increase the phone's battery life. So, it seems that battery life issues can be addressed through updated software, which is what they seem to be attempting to do to address the Thunderbolt's battery issues. So, I just wonder if HTC can release an updated kernel for this phone that's capable of squeezing out a bit more juice from the phone...

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
True, there are many alternative kernels available and many of them focus on power and battery issues. The OEM of any device has to make tradeoffs between power and performance. They also have to take into consideration that their software has to provide the most compatibility possible for all users.

Alternative kernel developers on the other hand do not have to develop to such stringent standards. Yes, the kernel needs to perform at a certain level or no one would use it, but if there is an app compatibility issue or a slight hardware compatibility issue the answer is always - flash a different kernel. The developer may or may not address the bug in a future release. The OEM does not have that option.

We did see an increase in battery life when Froyo was released, and that would have come with a new kernel. However, to see a kernel specific tweak for battery, it’s not likely.

On the bright side… Root is easily available and the world of alternative ROM’s and kernels are readily available! Unlike the old days when what shipped is what you got and if it was bad… then so sad!

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I've read that HTC has been very supportive of the user community by releasing DInc source code to users. Maybe they should take that a step further and just incorporate the user-created kernels that increase battery life into the next version they release. :)

jr369

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm baffled why the battery the comes with the thunderbolt is weaker than the incredible. I'm going to sprint to pick up an evo shift or what ever they have like that next year when my contracts are up. I really want to stick with HTC though

Sent from my HTC Incredible using Tapatalk

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site
These hTC battery issues are a real drag, IMO. That is one reason I am probably heading for the Bionic (if it has the unlocked boot loader like the xoom).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool