Flashed Alternate Recovery and now i'm stuck

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So i was having some issues with clockworkmod and decided to use the alternate recovery to try to flash a new rom(i know stupid idea but i made the mistake and need your help).
I tried with 2 different roms and they seem to install fine but both go into boot loop. I do have multiple backups on my sd but since i'm not using clockwork i can't use them.

So is there anyway to access the backups or am i making a key mistake in the instillation process. I'm stuck in the alternate recovery and am desperate for help

Don't rag on me too much please

Thanks in advance

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Turns out my sd card was fat 16 and i reformated it to fat 32 and it won't see the zip in hboot and when i went into recovery its says can't mount/ sd card any ideas.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You copied everything back to the card after formatting?

Check that the file is named PB31IMG.zip and not PB31IMG.zip.zip or recovery-clockwork-XXX-PB31IMG.zip, and that the file is on the root of the SD Card (No Folders)

You also want to be sure you're booting to HBOOT - not recovery. Turn your phone off completely and start the phone while holding down the Down Volume key and the Power button.

HBOOT should see the file and prompt you to install it.

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I did and its def. on the root and i'm in HBoot (the white screen with 3 droid at the bottom) It seems to see the file but then doesn't flash it. Thats when i went into flash from zip and it says it can't mount the sd card.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You can't flash this in recovery - it has to be in HBOOT.

What does it say in HBOOT when it finds the file? What messages are displayed?

Last edited:

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I can't read what it says because it goes away so fast. I also tried using a different sd card that has only the pb31img.zip file on it but that doesn't work either, it doesn't see it at all. Is there by chance necessary files that need to be on the sd card for it to work.

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't read what it says because it goes away so fast. I also tried using a different sd card that has only the pb31img.zip file on it but that doesn't work either, it doesn't see it at all. Is there by chance necessary files that need to be on the sd card for it to work.

you must format the card to fat32 then add the file and retry hboot

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I reformated it again to fat32. I'm on mac so i used disk utility and confirmed by looking at the info where it says what it is. Currently on the sd card the only file is the cwm zip and when hboot comes up it looks like scans for the file (the quick green scrolling letters) but it doesn't see anything and is at the normal menu where i would usually go into recovery. This is my spare sd card

My primary sd card won't mount on to my mac anymore through recovery for some reason

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Is there a PC handy to format the card?

Also, the file is named PB31IMG.zip? correct?

It should see it. The Mac format is the only thing I can think of possibly blocking the flash.

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So i re-formated the sd card with only the pb31img on it. I tried saving the name as PB31IMG , PB31IMG. and PB31IMG.zip and still it doesn't see it when i turn it on to hboot. I'm stumped again

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
and if it makes any difference. I put a rom on the sd card and when i went to access it from within recovery it won't even show the files and says

can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 (invalid argument)
can't mount /sdcard

ccskimmer04

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry i thought i replied last night but i guess i didn't push send before shutting down. Yeah I did everything. Triple checked everything and it still doesn't work. I was thinking something with the sd card. The only thing is i've used two different sd cards. I even tried to put a rom on the sd card to see what would happen and it says card won't mount.