Trouble saving Word Doc on device, then accessing it????

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I created a basic Word doc on my desktop and I am trying to put it on my Droid (preferably on my SD card). I connected my Droid to my laptop via USB, chose the option "mount as disc drive", and chose "view files on this device" when the window pops up on my desktop.

Now, I see a LOT of folders when I do that. I have no idea where to drag and drop this Word doc so that I can easily access it on my Droid. Can someone suggest where, in all these files, I should be dropping it? How can I tell which folder is my SD card?

Also, once I do that, how do I view that document on my device and if possible, is there a way to edit that document on my device? (FYI, I do have the free version of Docs to Go but not sure that will do what I need)

Thanks for your help...I am a newbie to the Droid world, so please forgive is these questions seems "newbie" like!

Cas

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
The drive without an emmc directory is your SD card. emmc is located on the internal storage.

You can also Right Click and look at the properties of each drive. The one that matches the size of your SD card is your SD Card. ;)

Just create a directory on your SD Card called Documents, or something along those lines. You should then be able to read it in Docs to Go, but you will have to get the paid version to edit/create Office files.

Hope this helps.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
The drive without an emmc directory is your SD card. emmc is located on the internal storage.

Hmmmm......"emmc directory"???? Consider me embarressed! Sorry...newbie!

I would love to insert a screen shot here, which I have saved to my desktop but for some reason, cannot figure out how to get it to be visible in a post. suggestions????

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
On mine, the SD card is the first drive that comes up of the 3 that show up when you plug the phone in to the PC.

The internal memory has a directory called .bookmark_thumb1 and a directory called DCIM among others.

The SD card has directories for the installed apps that use the SD for storage as well as a .footprints .htcnews and others.

At worst, copy a test file to one of the drives, disconnect from the PC, download one of the free file managers from the market and look to see where that file ended up. Most of the file managers have an obvious way to get to the SD card.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here is what is really confusing me!! When I connect my Droid to my laptop and choose "Mount as Disc Drive", I get 2 AutoPlay windows that come up and I can choose either one. One is "Removeable Disc (F)", the other is "Removeable Disc (G):".

The one labeled "F" has these folders in it:

Bookmark_thumb1
footprints
Android
DCIM
Lost.Dir
MP3
My Documents
slacker
HTC_Sync

The one labeled "G" has too many folders to list, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to insert a screenshot of it here (if someone can tell me how to do that, I have the screenshot saved on my desktop, ready to go!).

Why would I have 2 removeable discs showing and how the heck do I find what I need within all the folders??????? :confused:

Thanks for the patience, guys! I really appreciate the assistance!

Cat

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the F drive is your internal.

The G would be the SD Card.

If you have not changed from the stock SD card, Right Click on the G drive on your computer and select Properties. It should show that the size of the Drive is about 2 gig. (If you did change the card it will show the size of the new card)

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the F drive is your internal.

The G would be the SD Card.

If you have not changed from the stock SD card, Right Click on the G drive on your computer and select Properties. It should show that the size of the Drive is about 2 gig. (If you did change the card it will show the size of the new card)

Thanks for figuring that out - I clearly would never have been able to! Does everyone see their internal drive and SD card as 2 different drives like that?

When I right click on the G drive, it shows the used space as 714 MB and the freee space as 1.16 GB (FYI, I am using the SD card that came with it).

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes - everyone sees 2 or 3 drives pop up. 1 for the SD, 1 for the internal and 1 for the VZ Vcast crapware.

and yes the G is definitely your SD.

Have fun

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes - everyone sees 2 or 3 drives pop up. 1 for the SD, 1 for the internal and 1 for the VZ Vcast crapware.

and yes the G is definitely your SD.

Have fun

Ok, great! Thanks so much!

Now I will try doing what others suggested as far as saving my Word doc from my desktop onto my SD card.

BTW, do most people end up buying Docs To Go so they can edit Word and other docs on their Droid or are there better programs out there for that?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Can't say for sure - I don't edit on the road. Read and reply, but leave the heavy lifting for a real keyboard and mouse. ;)

Search in the Applications forum - I'm sure there are several Doc's to Go threads you can read about it.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Can't say for sure - I don't edit on the road. Read and reply, but leave the heavy lifting for a real keyboard and mouse. ;)

Search in the Applications forum - I'm sure there are several Doc's to Go threads you can read about it.

Got it! Threw the Word doc on my SD card and can now view it, no problem. Thanks for all the help - much appreciated!!!!

blastncast

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Your question may have already been answered but thought I would chime in.
What I do and works very well for making changes to Excel and Word docs.
1. I use Astro File Manger, great app, it gives you a directory of your SD card and allows you to view, change, edit the files on your SD.
2. Google Documents on your PC. Use your Google Docs account. If you upload a file to your Google Documents you can access it from your PC and from your phone with the help of an app named GDocs from WildArt.
3. GDocs from WildArt. With this App you can access your Google account and view and make changes to any of your docs, any changes you make from your phone are saved in your Google Docs account, and the other way around.
I have found no problems with this process in the months that I have been using it.

CatB

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I have Docs to Go to edit Word and Excel files and it works great. To edit you'll need the $14.99 full version.

Yikes! That is the steepest price I have seen yet for a Droid app!!!!! Not sure I would be editing enough to make it worth my while.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae